Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
serena was seeded #1 yet she was like #10 in the wolrd.... is that fair?

BTW, can venus face serena before finals?? cause they're always on a different side of the tournaments :confused:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
If Justine cannot play the US Open, Serena will be seeded number one as she will still have special seedings to use.

Venus isa different story, but she may get a special seeding because she is a two time winner, has never lost before the semifinals and the other players may not want to face her before the semifinals.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Who cares? Anna Pistolesi loses almost every time in the first round and I don't see anyone downgrading her seeding

They should follow the rankings :angel:

NEXT

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
WorldWar24 said:
Who cares? Anna Pistolesi loses almost every time in the first round and I don't see anyone downgrading her seeding

They should follow the rankings :angel:

NEXT
They should, but Serena will get a special seeding and if the ITF says that Venus should too, she'll get it. Too bad, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Venus has used too many special seedings. It is ridiculous. VEnus can't even beat top 20 players anymore.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
mboyle said:
Venus has used too many special seedings. It is ridiculous. VEnus can't even beat top 20 players anymore.
She used what she is entitled to, which means for the WTA tour, she has one or two more. The USO isn't a WTA event, so they can do what they please. If Justine falls out of the number one spot by the week before the USO, they can seed her over whoever is ranked higher than her if they want.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Wimbledon, Wimbledon, Wimbledon, they can do whatever they want. ;) And Serena was in the final, although she lost, she still showed why she deserved to be no.1 seeded.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
SharapovaKixA$$ said:
serena was seeded #1 yet she was like #10 in the wolrd.... is that fair?

BTW, can venus face serena before finals?? cause they're always on a different side of the tournaments :confused:
you are an idiot. This has already been explained but I guess youre too lazy to find out the answer. It has been discussed endlessly!

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,186 Posts
Vincent said:
Wimbledon, Wimbledon, Wimbledon, they can do whatever they want. ;) And Serena was in the final, although she lost, she still showed why she deserved to be no.1 seeded.
if the ITF decides that Wimby-players can be seeded other than their ranking it would be just fair that their opponents get the quality points for their seeding and not for their ranking. The system is somehow irrational at this point.
Maria should have won 200 pts instead of 86 for defeating Serena ! :mad:

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
At the moment the rankings are so screwed up that they'd actually do better to follow the Porsche Race. Never thought I'd say this, but it's got a bit ridiculous. And, no, I'm not thinking of the fact that Momo leads the race (there's no advantage in being # 1 over # 3). It's the ridiculously low rankings for the sisters that are the problem.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
mboyle said:
Why even say things like this when she has beaten players in the top 20 already this year?? R U trying to convince yourself??

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Well for those who are bitching now, I hope that they seed according to rankings, especially in the hardcourt tourneys. That means that Venus will meet some top ten folks in the the second round of Bank of the West and maybe San Diego? Oh the joy. :bounce:

But I'll bet that some of these are the same people who were bitching when Serena was ranked number 10 and was knocking off higher seeds in early rounds. :lol:

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Hmmmm, no one took the bait in my post. Of course, it would be madness to use the Porsche Race rather than rankings.

But I do think that we need a better ranking system...some kind of averaging system or at least a system where fewer tournaments count. Either way, you could get something that gives a fairer indication of who is playing well when some players have missed a lot of tournaments because of injury. You could also give less encouragement to players going in ridiculous numbers of tournaments like Dokic id prone to do, though I guess pigs will fly before the WTA starts to worry about its players risking burn-out or injury by playing too much.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
*~ The Leopard ~* said:
Hmmmm, no one took the bait in my post. Of course, it would be madness to use the Porsche Race rather than rankings.

But I do think that we need a better ranking system...some kind of averaging system or at least a system where fewer tournaments count. Either way, you could get something that gives a fairer indication of who is playing well when some players have missed a lot of tournaments because of injury. You could also give less encouragement to players going in ridiculous numbers of tournaments like Dokic id prone to do, though I guess pigs will fly before the WTA starts to worry about its players risking burn-out or injury by playing too much.
i didn't get your point. It does tell you who is playing well and has proved pretty responsive to change the way it has promoted Sveta, Masha and Karolina towards their destination ranks. The rankings tell me that Ai and Paola have a slightly better chance than Venus in a GS which seems true. They tell me Myskina has a better chance than Lindsay or Jen whicch is also true. would you want a ranking that told you Serena was really a top 2 player or one that made Justine number 1 whenever she came back however rusty? What would that tell you that was remotely useful? Serena still has a few special rankings left which if she does well enough will get her back into the top 8. if she doesn't she won't deserve a higher ranking. As for these overplaying and burnt out players I can't see any out there. We have 1 wrist injury, a virus, a worn out knee at 28, Momo with a chronic problem, Hingis with bad shoes, Jennifer with a lowish number of matches played and Venus and Serena who were injured after playing 2/3 as much as the rest of the top 10 and half as much as the then fit Kim..

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Good points, though not good enough to convince me. This may not be the best thread to pursue the averaging system (or whatever) so let's have a good discussion of it on another thread. It comes up often enough but never really gets thrashed out. It would be interesting to see how the players would currently be ranked under an averaging system. My feeling is that the order would be more intuitively "right" than the actual rankings, but someone with better knowledge than me would have to do the analysis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts