Tennis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't the USA always had a young player inside the top 100 who was hyped and had the top talent to be in the top 10 or top 5 in a couple of years?

it seems that their reign on womens tennis is starting to fade away. i know the williams sisters are young and stevenson is also young but they're aren't any 16 or 17 year old americans in the top 100 or anywhere for that matter that are hyped as being the next big thing in the next year or 2.

i thought this would be interesting to discuss.

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,148 Posts
The last time was, perhaps, 1996, when Venus was not Top 100 yet, Jennifer was nowhere and Lindsay was already an established player and Olympic champion.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Er, there's this girl in the top 50 who's had a few big wins this season, got a fair few people talking, beat Hantuchova at Roland Garros, you may have heard of her? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but she's not going to be top 10, and if she does get to the top 10 it won't be in the next 2 years plus she isn't hyped to be the next big thing in tennis.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Gowza said:
but she's not going to be top 10, and if she does get to the top 10 it won't be in the next 2 years plus she isn't hyped to be the next big thing in tennis.
1) She is hyped.
2) You don't know whether she will be top 10.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Er, there's this girl in the top 50 who's had a few big wins this season, got a fair few people talking, beat Hantuchova at Roland Garros, you may have heard of her? :rolleyes:
:yeah: My thoughts exactly....

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sartrista7, i haven't heard her being hyped for the top 5 or even the top 10. just because a player is hyped doesn't mean they are hyped to be the next big thing. there are different types of hype and different amounts of hype.

your telling me that ashley is hyped to win grand slams?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Maybe I'm not thinking right, but what young American (girl) has been hyped in the last couple/few years?

·
Adrenaline junkie
24,148 Posts
sartrista7 said:
1) She is hyped.
2) You don't know whether she will be top 10.
You mean Ashley? Of course she won't. I saw her enough. No potential for being in Top 10 for any long time. Best case scenario - she will be a better ami frazier. No potential for beating modern power players on fast surfaces. And without that, you have to be Martina Hingis to make it to Top 10. Beating Hantuchova? Hantuchova got into Top 10 by mistake and is correcting that mistake now. Expect her to be out of Top 10 by US Open end. This year only lazy doesn't beat Hantuchova.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts