Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing this has happened in Moscow, (probably a few times) but I doubt it's all that common...or is it?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moscow really needs to be downgraded...

·
Premium Member
172,293 Posts
jenglisbe said:
Moscow really needs to be downgraded...
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you're too scared to come too bad
thats your problem
the players that do come love it.

·
Premium Member
172,293 Posts
Moscow timing is wrong ??
its in indoor season so its in a fine place
it does move back 2 weeks next yr so get ready to bring your woollies :p(j/k)

when do you want it to be held ??? June ??

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
the reason i said Moscow timing is wrong was because it is almost at the end of the Indoor season, so close to the Championship, where it is held in LA. Most of the other tournaments that season are in the Western Europe, they have to go back east to play Moscow.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stars liking an event doesn't make it a Tier 1. I think the premiere events should consistently have the majority of top 10 players playing in them. Moscow is lucky if it gets like three top 10 players each year.

I also agree that it's dumb to have Tokyo the week after a major. I am amazed at how often they get decent draws there, including players who do well in Australia.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AnnaKFan - I think you are right; Iva beat both Coetzer and Testud there, but I think they had fallen out of the top 10 by then?? I know Serena lost there that year. Did any other top 10 players play, or was the draw weak from the start?

·
Registered
125 Posts
jenglisbe said:
AnnaKFan - I think you are right; Iva beat both Coetzer and Testud there, but I think they had fallen out of the top 10 by then?? I know Serena lost there that year. Did any other top 10 players play, or was the draw weak from the start?
patty snyder beat both capriati and serena, then lost to majoli who was definitely not in the top ten. oh seles played too.

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
Seles lost early to Foretz (?) that year.

As for Moscow, I don't see why it should be downgraded - they get more top players than Tokyo.

Anyway it's a good opportunity for good players, not necessarily at the top, to show what they can do and get big points for doing so.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Moscow has generally been before Filderstadt and Zurich, so players start in the east of Europe and head west.

The notion that Moscow's scheduling is problematic because the WTA Championships are held in Los Angeles really only shows what an idiotic decision it was to move the WTA Championships to LA. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.