Team WTAworld, Senior Member
26,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the last time a player won a Grand Slam as their "4th career title"

Just Curious :angel:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Yup. That's right. I thought Tracy Austin might have done it too, but the U.S. Open was her 6th title. :)

But, I think that Serena might have played more tournaments before winning her first major than did Sharapova.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
starr said:
Yup. That's right. I thought Tracy Austin might have done it too, but the U.S. Open was her 6th title. :)

But, I think that Serena might have played more tournaments before winning her first major than did Sharapova.
Yeah. Monica Seles was close too. I think she won Houston, Key Biscayne, Berlin, Rome, and then the French Open. So her 5th tournament. I think.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
The 99 USO was Serena's 24th tournament and Wimbledon was Maria's 25th tournament. Although that is a little misleading because Maria was playing challengers too, and so... The count isn't exactly the same for both. I'd say that Serena definitely played fewer tournaments before her first major because of that.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
I think she won more, because she went 37-0 at the begginning of 1990 I think...ask Athaeneum, he'll know ;)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Sam L said:
Yeah. Monica Seles was close too. I think she won Houston, Key Biscayne, Berlin, Rome, and then the French Open. So her 5th tournament. I think.
Monica won Houston, Key Biscayne, San Antonio, Tampa, Rome, Berlin, French Open. So, Roland Garros was her 7th career win.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
mmcdonald said:
I think she won more, because she went 37-0 at the begginning of 1990 I think...ask Athaeneum, he'll know ;)
If my count is correct it was 36-0 from the beginning of Key Biscayne until she lost at Wimbledon in 1990.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Gaston Gaudio's recent French title was only his 3rd career singles title. Marat Safin's US Open title in 2000 was his 5th overall, I believe.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Joseosu19 said:
Arantxa won Roland Garros in 1989 as her third career title.
Impressive! But she was already a pro for 3 years hehe ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Serena and Maria have quite a few parallels there... :eek:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
what makes Sharapova's win yesterday such a huge upset is that if you look at her year so far, only last month that she started to play this well :eek: before that, she was having a really mediocre year. definitely the two weeks that could turn her life around:)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Sam L said:
I know this is men's tennis but Guga won the French Open as his first career title. :eek:
Mats Wilander also won his first career title at the 1982 French Open. What made his run even more impressive was that he was only 17 at the time, unseeded, and beat the players seeded 2, 3, 4, and 5 en route to the title in what remains, imo, one of the greatest Slam campaigns ever.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Wow...maria and serena really are alike!! and as someone said: this came out of the blue because prior to wimbledon Maria was more like the queen of the lesser tournaments.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts