Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are taking extreme joy in the fact that Venus lost to Sandrine in the semi-finals. Not that Sandrine won, but that VENUS LOST.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

She'll be back.

Congrats to Sandrine.
Get some rest Venus.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I see the same thing. Oh well when your on top I guess its natural for the underlings to try and pull you down. That just shows that the people who cheer the lost weren't true fans of sandrine.

Good show Testud! If someone had to do it I'm glad it was you and not a few other players I could name.(but won't :kiss: )

I like sandrine, how old is she anyway?

·
Veelieve!!!
32,889 Posts
Ain't that the truth Moon!!!
They're all over the place, if you look around there are those who want to rip into her, root against her and get all gleeful when she doesn't win. That's pitiful!!!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
LMAO!

Surprised???

That's to be expected. Not only here at Wtaworld, but you'll find that kind of "extreme joy" for Venus and Serena loses in any and every tennis forum.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes, I was shocked by the reaction too, moon.

I mean, to cheer for Sandrine is one thing, and to be happy for her is great. But the fashion in which Venus was urged to lose was something else. I definitely expected some sectors to root against her, but not in quite the amount or the fashion that I saw.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Hey Moon. :wavey: I was actually in that thread when the inferno was mere embers (smirk) and I just rolled my eyes. It happens often to Vee but you know that already. It's interesting that today Stevenson, Jidkova, Sugiyama, Raymond, Torrens-Valero, De Los Rios, Suarez, Zuluaga, Salerni, Castaño, Beigbeder and Srebotnik may join Venus on the 'right side' of 'def.' but there won't be any euphoric posts about their losses. :rolleyes:

Rest up, champ! :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Some people are just jealous that their favorites aren't as great as Venus! Venus will be back, I am actually happy that Sandrine won but not happy that Venus had to lose.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
The way Williams fans are treated in the scoring thread says a lot.

When a Williams fans provided scores... it was lies. Just lies. When the score was proved right, the courtside treatment was lies anyway though the score is right.

When a Williams fan has not said a thing, some one says: Don't worry, they say bad things on a regular basis. Ha, that is inciting us to say nasty things isn't it?

Pffft... can't everyone just play nice? You want us to play nice while being treated like fools? You wish.

And how many times was Venus being killed and slaughtered in that scoring thread? Fans and non fans can kill Venus and that is just *harmless cheering*... yet when we say something similar in our own cheering threads, we have people coming in and teaching how to cheer. What's that supposed to be?

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
W_R, it was like a convalescent home production "Joan Of Arc". :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
I hope people arent referring to the regular Sandrine cheering section...we just have a little thing going on this week where we have decided to act all fiery cos pussyfooting around and being nice have had disastrous results lately. Throughout the week we have been putting in fiery emoticons in Sandrines threads and it seems to be paying off ;) :eek: I hope no-one was offended by the behaviour, we're just having some fun ;)

Now if u dont mean us, then just ignore my post :eek:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
They Will always jump for joy Moon ...

What do you expect the enemy to do ? cry ?

Williams upset by Testud in semifinals of Dubai Open at hands of Testud

February 22, 2002

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) -- Sandrine Testud upset top-seeded Venus Williams 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 Friday and advanced to the championship of the Dubai Women's Open.

Williams, who had been 5-0 against the Testud, needed just 21 minutes to win the first set, then left the court for unspecified medical treatment and struggled when she returned.

She was broken three times in the second set but broke Testud, the No. 4 seed, three times, too. Williams fell behind 0-3 in the tiebreaker, then closed to 3-5 but got no closer.

Williams saved two match points in the third set before hitting her final shot into the net.

``Sandrine played a lot better than me,'' Williams said. ``I am really disappointed as I hate to lose. But it is impossible to win when you miss every shot.''

Williams, who has won three tournaments this year, already was assured of overcoming Jennifer Capriati next week for the top ranking on the WTA tour.

Testud plays the winner of the semifinal between No. 2 Monica Seles and No. 3 Amelie Mauresmo.

·
20,610 Posts
Iva's #1 Fan: Sorry about that post. It was just a lot of pent-up emotions being released at once. After reading the thread, I released why you guys were doing that and what that is all about ;) Well, you should continue to do that... it seems to be working :) Haha, but when you come back from a long day and see these fires and killing and then Venus losing, you tend to be really annoyed at everything. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Thats ok W_R I can understand that ;)

I answered u in the scores thread too, I basically wrote the same thing so just ignore it :eek: ;)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Iva's #1 fan, I understood that to a degree for awhile and even appreciated GoSandrine's good-natured explanation at the end of the live scoring thread but it wasn't fun as a Venus fan to see things like "Kill Venus" posted.

·
Premium Member
19,900 Posts
don't worry guys, the truth of the matter is that Sandrine will lose the final. I'm sorry, but either Monica or Amelie will win. Good effort from Sandrine though.

·
20,610 Posts
That's the point too Beige... killing is so... strong a word.

And I replied to you again Iva's #1 Fan :D You can read it... it is a similar answer though :eek:

·
Veelieve!!!
32,889 Posts
Here's another take Playa :)

Tennis-Testud upsets troubled Venus Williams

DUBAI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Venus Williams suffered her first defeat in six meetings with Sandrine Testud as the French number four seed won 1-6 7-6 6-4 in the semifinals of the Dubai Tennis Championships on Friday.

By an odd coincidence, Testud has now beaten three players who were destined for number one the following week. She defeated Lindsay Davenport in the Filderstadt final in Germany late in 1998 and Jennifer Capriati in the quarter-finals of the same event last October.

Top seeded Williams, who nevertheless takes over next week as the new world number one, was clearly suffering from her troublesome knee, serving 14 double faults as she struggled to push off on her serve.

Although she came out firing at the beginning of the match and took the first set in 21 minutes, Williams often walked gingerly and summonsed the trainer at the end of the set.

It was 10 minutes before play re-started and Williams was no longer able to find the pace or consistency to overwhelm her opponent.

The most obvious sign of Williams' distress was in her serving, as one serve hit the back-drop and another landed on her own side of the court.

Testud finally found the time to hone her groundstrokes and held a set point at 5-3, but Williams pulled herself out of trouble and took the set to a tiebreak.

Testud edged through that 7-5, but then appeared to have lost her chance of victory as she failed to convert three break points that would have left her serving at 5-2 in the third set.

Williams levelled at 4-4 when Testud double faulted, but she double faulted herself to drop her own serve in the next game.

Despite facing a break point at 5-4, Testud held on to claim a place in her first final since she won in Hawaii last September. She will meet the winner of another French-U.S. semifinal between Amelie Mauresmo and Monica Seles.

"It was definitely a very important game," said Testud of the game at 4-2 in the third set.

"But when I lost that game I was still up 4-3 and I said to myself that it wasn't finished yet. I was still ahead, and even losing my serve I still felt I had a chance. She could easily have won the match, but she didn't serve as well at the end of the third set."

Williams has clearly suffered from her heavy schedule of tournaments and throughout the entire week she only really looked like a number one player during her first set against Testud.

But although deeply disappointed, she refused to talk about her injury or her fatigue.

"I feel really disappointed because I hate losing. But she just played a lot better and there was nothing I could do about that. She played great tennis out there," said Williams.

"I really don't want to talk about my health at this point. I try and learn from every experience and I think I've been pretty successful... I've had some good things happen these past few weeks."

Let the detractors rejoice, Venus will be back to start another winning streak alright :p :bounce:

·
Premium Member
21,391 Posts
Fair enough Beige...but surely anyone (or people that know Ed/GoSandrine) would know he wasnt serious, as he never has posted anything disrespectful ever!
But I understand how as a fan, u wouldnt appreciate it very much. No harm intended. I just wanted to defend the Sandrine camp cos we didnt mean it at all! In fact Ed is a fan of Venus too believe it or not ;)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Iva's #1 Fan, it's cool. I understood the rationale of your group from your first post on this thread.

-- You wrote: we just have a little thing going on this week where we have decided to act all fiery cos pussyfooting around and being nice have had disastrous results lately. Throughout the week we have been putting in fiery emoticons in Sandrines threads and it seems to be paying off--

I like that (the camaraderie) and appreciate the sense of fun. Unfortunately, I don't know if they are in your camp or not, someone wrote "Kill Venus" and that didn't sit well with me at all, even if it was "harmless".

Peace.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I missed the match and the thread, but I have words for both players.

To Sandrine, congratulations for a fine win. Even Venus says you played well.

To Venus, you're still the undisputed best player in the world. You're courageous to go out there and play even when you're clearly injured. You'll recover and continue to dominate the tour, because the only way for anyone to beat you is when you're not at your best.

Go Venus!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts