Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question to ponder, given the preponderance of the mental aspect of the game when you're in the top circle. Right now, we must admit the Belgians are brimmed with confidence and are flying high mentally.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I expect the matches between the Williiams sisters and the belgians to be more closer, but the Williams sisters will still dominate.

·
Banned
191 Posts
No, Venus will lose routinely, Serena will still put up somewhat of a fight.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I'd give the edge to the Williams. The sisters see the Belgians reveling in their sunshine, and they will be more than motivated. As, we seen in 2002, when the Williams give it their 200 percent, the rest of the b.s tennis world will be whinning about "who can stop the Williamses".

·
Premium Member
21,084 Posts
Who knows? the dynamics of the tour will have certainly changed. We might have a new GS champion or a 2 time GS champion.

Plus injuries are never good who knows if V&S will still be the same and play the same? Lindsay hasn't neither has Monica.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
The WS will dominate again in 2004, and I expect Venus to dominate when she comes back for the fall season 2003.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hell yeah!! There is still nothing in either justine or kims gme that should worry either williams sister- they beglains don't serve better/move better or hit harder...
Venus and serena will regain the hunger and determination to dominate once again now that imjury has temporairily disloged them...
I expect a few more ass whoppings for the belgians..

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Ofcourse V&S will resume their domination! :bounce:

Mentally, I think they are two of the best on tour.
People didn't expect Venus to be as tough as she was
coming back after being out for six months and
winning her first GS Title.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Yes, because they are more consistent when playing top ten players than Justine and Kim. In fact, when you remove Venus' losses agsinst Serena, she only has one loss agsinst a top ten plalyer this year and it was a retirement (Mauresmo). Serena, on the other hand, has two losses against Justine.

Regarding coming back from injuries, Venus was off the tour for almost six months in 2000 and cam back to win two Grand Slams and two Olympic gold medals. When Serena was out for six weeks in 2002, she came back to win three Grand Slams and two Tier I titles. So it seems to me that the sisters come back strong when off due to an injury.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Yea, but the sisters are very transitional, i.e., Hingis & Lindsay were injured, Steffi retired, the Belgians hadn't found formed, Jen was inconsistent, etc. But now that the Belgians are coming into their own, I doubt the sisters will do well.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
It depends, they are still the best, but they will be rusty, it will take time to reassurt themselevs at the top of the game. Also in thier absence certain players may have grown in confidence and believe they can consistantly beat top players like Venus and Serena.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
Yea, but the sisters are very transitional, i.e., Hingis & Lindsay were injured, Steffi retired, the Belgians hadn't found formed, Jen was inconsistent, etc. But now that the Belgians are coming into their own, I doubt the sisters will do well.
They beat Steffi, they were beating LD and Hingis, they beat Cappy they are still beating the Belgians. I don't understand this "transitional" argument.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Kim and Justine still have losing records against Venus and Serena. In fact, Kim is the first number one is receont memeory to have losing records against at least three players in the top ten, so they will have to start playing the sisters much better if they plan on dominating.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
It depends, they are still the best, but they will be rusty, it will take time to reassurt themselevs at the top of the game. Also in thier absence certain players may have grown in confidence and believe they can consistantly beat top players like Venus and Serena.
They usually aren't rusty when they come back from injury because they take their time. Venus was rusty once at the FO 2003 because she was still injured and shouldn't have played.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
You don't "doubt",
you "hope"! ;) :angel:

Big Difference. :yeah:

BTW,
Neither sister has even began to realize
their full potential and what they are capable of!
Imagine if Venus began to S&V! :devil:

·
Banned
191 Posts
With THEIR volleys, I'd love to see them serve and volley! :haha:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
What players?

This year, the only players to beat Venus and Serena are:

Justine (beat Serena twice)
Amelie (beat Venus* and Serena)
Vera (beat Venus)
Meghann(beat Venus)
*win was the result of a retirement

So where is the consistency?

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
lizchris said:
Kim and Justine still have losing records against Venus and Serena. In fact, Kim is the first number one is receont memeory to have losing records against at least three players in the top ten, so they will have to start playing the sisters much better if they plan on dominating.
Kim/Venus: 2-5
Kim/Serena: 1-8

Justine/Venus: 1-7
Justine /Serena: 3-5

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Zvonerevian said:
The only transitional player I see in that lis is Hingis. Face it, there was NO ONE near the top of their game when she started dominating. Steffi was injured and Monica, well, we all know about Monica. Lindsay was too fat and slow, as well as, too inconsistent.

Venus and Serena's domination began BEFORE any of Lindsay's or Martina's injuries. In fact, Venus and Serena are probably the cause of the injuries themselves, as they brought tennis to a whole new level.

Face it, Venus and Serena will come back with a vengeance. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts