·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Hello everyone with Kasatkinakins' loss today will the right answer be
  • Between RG and Wimbledon 2022 or;
  • Between Wimbledon and USO 2022?
I want to know before I vote. Thanks!🙂
It will be the ranking after Wimbledon, so the latter.

• Love
Reactions: aca99da

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
  • Wow
Reactions: aca99da

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well now Rad...in keeping with my recent thoughts on Emma and her rankings progression.....I voted never. Now I acknowledge that the math and how rankings work might certainly aid Emma with players falling away ....with players having to defend points and Emma having literally none to defend until Wimbledon. But I still don't think she gets there, as she will need to net gain some 500 points, hard to do with no deep runs soon...and I don't see that happening. There are also 6 or 7 players within that margin close behind her. The players in front of her have very little (If any) points to defend until the 500 level and 1000 level tourneys in the middle East.....Just saying.

Also....your thread is predicated entirely on WHEN. Now, her not getting there is certainly not IMPOSSIBLE :p ....so I was glad to see you at least included such an eventuality. (however laughable you apparently find this to be.);)
Oh the irony!

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Come on now folks....surely this is not how you want Emma to "enter the top 10".....with ALL players prevented from earning points and her backing in. You MIGHT want to hold off on putting up threads, because apparently there have been rumblings about WTA awarding at least half points for Wimbledon. If Emma can win matches and earn it.....I would certainly welcome her entry into the top 10.

• Haha
Reactions: Overserved

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Come on now folks....surely this is not how you want Emma to "enter the top 10".....with ALL players prevented from earning points and her backing in. You MIGHT want to hold off on putting up threads, because apparently there have been rumblings about WTA awarding at least half points for Wimbledon. If Emma can win matches and earn it.....I would certainly welcome her entry into the top 10.
If points are not counted and Emma is #10 on July 11th, a thread is warranted. Particularly if she has a good run at a “pointless” Wimbledon in such a way that she would have come into the top 10 even counting Wimbledon points.
But even if not, a thread is still warranted if she hits the #10 spot.

About waiting for 11th of July, I agree, that’s what I said in my post immediately before yours.

If some agreement is reached and points are counted, it will depend on Emma’s Wimbledon performance, obviously.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
If points are not counted and Emma is #10 on July 11th, a thread is warranted. Particularly if she has a good run at a “pointless” Wimbledon in such a way that she would have come into the top 10 even counting Wimbledon points.
But even if not, a thread is still warranted if she hits the #10 spot.

About waiting for 11th of July, I agree, that’s what I said in my post immediately before yours.

If some agreement is reached and points are counted, it will depend on Emma’s Wimbledon performance, obviously.
To be honest.....I would VERY much like to see Emma perform well at her home Slam, points or not.....it would be GREAT for tennis, give her some confidence and shut up the critics of her "backing into" the the top 10. She needs to make QF or better to earn an "increase in points".....which would see her legitimately move into the top 10 in my view....whether points are awarded or not.

Outside of Bianca going deep and winning Wimbledon.....which certainly is possible.....I would like as my second favourite thing to happen would be be for Emma to make at least QF. She is a classy kid, going through a rough patch, and does not deserve the criticism she gets here.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
To be honest.....I would VERY much like to see Emma perform well at her home Slam, points or not.....it would be GREAT for tennis, give her some confidence and shut up the critics of her "backing into" the the top 10. She needs to make QF or better to earn an "increase in points".....which would see her legitimately move into the top 10 in my view....whether points are awarded or not.

Outside of Bianca going deep and winning Wimbledon.....which certainly is possible.....I would like as my second favourite thing to happen would be be for Emma to make at least QF. She is a classy kid, going through a rough patch, and does not deserve the criticism she gets here.
Of course she doesn’t deserve the criticism she gets on TF.
I don’t particularly care about this year tbh. Of course if she goes deep at Wimbledon I will be happy but it’s very unlikely THIS YEAR because she comes into it with an injury and after missing all warmup tournaments. So I’m a realistic fan and I think she has very little chances of a deep run THIS YEAR. Even R4 would be very good. (if Pliskova loses early it would give her enough points for top 10 in theory)

About the future. She definitely has the potential to win Wimbledon and USO more than once (which doesn’t mean she’s guaranteed to do so, but definitely can). Her game is perfect for fast surfaces and she’s clearly talented.
She will have many more chances in the next 12-13 years or so :)

She will get physically stronger and more used to the tour and will be a much more consistent player in 2023-4-5.
Remember she’s played catch-up on conditioning all year after covid ruined her preseason (possibly overtraining to catch up, making it worse). And she’s played less than her peers (Fernandez, Gauff,…) as junior and ITF. she’s won her slam with extremely little tour experience

All this easily explains her current physical struggles.

She definitely has potential to win other slams and be a consistent top 10 in the future.

So I'm not worried, regardless of this year’s results :)

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Of course she doesn’t deserve the criticism she gets here.
I don’t particularly care about this year tbh. Of course if she goes deep at Wimbledon I will be happy but it’s very unlikely THIS YEAR because she comes into it with an injury and after missing all warmup tournaments. So I’m a realistic fan and I think she has little chances of a deep run THIS YEAR. Even R4 would be very good. (if Pliskova loses early it would give her enough points in theory)

About the future. She definitely has the potential to win Wimbledon and USO more than once (which doesn’t mean she’s guaranteed to do so, but definitely can). Her game is perfect for fast surfaces and she’s clearly talented.
She will have many more chances in the next 12-13 years or so :)

She will get physical stronger and more used to the tour and will be a much more consistent player in 2023-4-5.
She definitely has potential to win other slams and be a consistent top 10 in the future.

So I'm not worried, regardless of this years results :)
Good post.(y)

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Your final hope :whistle:
I'm just talking smack ....you know that. ;) But apparently there HAVE been rumours.....but probably just started up by media folks looking for a story to write about, as I cannot see WTA/ATP backing off at this point. "The Empire" showing restraint here though....good on you. You and @aca99da have the troops in order, I see.:devil:

·
Banned
5,397 Posts
I'm just talking smack ....you know that. ;) But apparently there HAVE been rumours.....but probably just started up by media folks looking for a story to write about, as I cannot see WTA/ATP backing off at this point. "The Empire" showing restraint here though....good on you. You and @aca99da have the troops in order, I see.:devil:
What could also happen is USO recognise wimbledon points in their seeding, which will throw WTA into a spin.

Remember that slams only agreed to use WTA points for seedings until 2022, but they do not have to. Slams can do their own seeding and have to answer to no-one.

Hence WTA would either backtrack and award points or there is 2 point system. It may be better for slams to do their own seeding quietly and not in the run up to a slam.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
What could also happen is USO recognise wimbledon points in their seeding, which will throw WTA into a spin.

Remember that slams only agreed to use WTA points for seedings until 2022, but they do not have to. Slams can do their own seeding and have to answer to no-one.

Hence WTA would either backtrack and award points or there is 2 point system. It may be better for slams to do their own seeding quietly and not in the run up to a slam.
I agree and I hope this happens, WTA/ATP made a shitty move. They deserve to be f***ed HARD.

but it’s unlikely to happen before July 11th.
USO will publish its entry list on July 18th in theory.
Ideally that means Emma gets her guaranteed top 10 spot on the 11th, then Wimbledon points could be reinstated towards the end of July / beginning of August, after talks between slams and ATP/WTA. That, or parallel slams rankings making ATP / WTA ranking redundant.
All it takes is USO recognising Wimbledon points for its entry and seeding.

I hope this happens of course, but it’s unlikely to happen before July 11th. So, Emma should be guaranteed her #10 spot

If it DOES happen, but AFTER July 11th, it would be the best of both worlds for us :)

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
As of now, unless the points ruling for Wimbledon changes (very unlikely) or Kasatkina enters and wins one of the WTA 125 events during the 2nd week of Wimbledon (only slightly less likely), Raducanu has her #10 spot in the bag.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts