Tennis Forum banner

When shall Emma enter the top 10?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I hope Emma has a better run at Indian Wells this year it was to soon last year :cool:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was tempted to go pre-RG, but I think it'll be between W and the USO on the hardcourt swing. I don't think she'll accumulate enough points between February-March and before the clay season starts.
I think this is the most likely scenario - I see her ranked between 13-15 for a number of months, before climbing into the top 10 with a good run at Wimbledon.

Reactions: Loki-Icon

·
Banned
5,397 Posts
I think this is the most likely scenario - I see her ranked between 13-15 for a number of months, before climbing into the top 10 with a good run at Wimbledon.
She is defending 240 points at Wmbledon so would have to go Quarter or better not to loose points.

So its likely going to happen before wimbledon (no points to defend up to wimbledon from now).

·
Registered
Federer, Sampras, Graf, Hingis
384 Posts
She should be playing Qatar open which is WTA1000. Indian Wells should also give her some good points. She really needs to jack up her points otherwise she will come crumbling down in US open in case she exits that early. I think Osaka will fall down below 75 after AO. Serena, I think below 200

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
She should be playing Qatar open which is WTA1000. Indian Wells should also give her some good points. She really needs to jack up her points otherwise she will come crumbling down in US open in case she exits that early. I think Osaka will fall down below 75 after AO. Serena, I think below 200
I don't think she's playing Qatar, but rather the 250 event in Mexico that week and then off to IW and Miami.

I agree with the post above that she'll be top 10 before Wimbledon. She has a lot of points there she has to defend so likely will have enough from 2021 to break into the top 10 after RG. If she doesn't break top 10 by Wimbledon it will be hard for her to do so given the points from there and USO she needs to defend..

Live rankings have Osaka at 84 right now. Serena 245. Live WTA Ranking

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
When shall Emma enter the top 10?
Well now Rad...in keeping with my recent thoughts on Emma and her rankings progression.....I voted never. Now I acknowledge that the math and how rankings work might certainly aid Emma with players falling away ....with players having to defend points and Emma having literally none to defend until Wimbledon. But I still don't think she gets there, as she will need to net gain some 500 points, hard to do with no deep runs soon...and I don't see that happening. There are also 6 or 7 players within that margin close behind her. The players in front of her have very little (If any) points to defend until the 500 level and 1000 level tourneys in the middle East.....Just saying.

Also....your thread is predicated entirely on WHEN. Now, her not getting there is certainly not IMPOSSIBLE :p ....so I was glad to see you at least included such an eventuality. (however laughable you apparently find this to be.);)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well now Rad...in keeping with my recent thoughts on Emma and her rankings progression.....I voted never. Now I acknowledge that the math and how rankings work might certainly aid Emma with players falling away ....with players having to defend points and Emma having literally none to defend until Wimbledon. But I still don't think she gets there, as she will need to net gain some 500 points, hard to do with no deep runs soon...and I don't see that happening. There are also 6 or 7 players within that margin close behind her. The players in front of her have very little (If any) points to defend until the 500 level and 1000 level tourneys in the middle East.....Just saying.

Also....your thread is predicated entirely on WHEN. Now, her not getting there is certainly not IMPOSSIBLE :p ....so I was glad to see you at least included such an eventuality. (however laughable you apparently find this to be.);)
I always include the laughable possibilities.

Of course, those who voted for them (as you did in my Osaka poll) are bound to be proven wrong.

:whistle:

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
I always include the laughable possibilities.

Of course, those who voted for them (as you did in my Osaka poll) are bound to be proven wrong.

:whistle:
True....this one seems a little tougher to see come to fruition though. Emma needs to do something positive....not merely wait for the clock to run out, so to speak. There are many other variables in play besides Osaka....meaning the other players also moving up.. We'll see, should be interesting.

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,759 Posts
She has a good chance these next two weeks...

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,759 Posts
I like Emma, you know that. But Martincova is going to beat her in R1 here. She is playing well, too much power for Emma to get through right now.
Emma just beat her in her first ever clay match...

1 - 20 of 159 Posts