Tennis Forum banner

Which rule do you prefer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, there are 2 separate things that can produce different winners if BOHT PLAYERS send the same points for the same set.

One says: Player with higher surface order wins that set. If tied, then higher ranked player wins.

Other says: Player with more points on that surface wins. If tied, then higher ranked player wins.

This occurred last week where both players sent the exact same points for the determining set in Canterbury vs. Zianzhi.

I didn't realize this, but I went with Rule 1 (as I thought it had always been). Both players had clay as their top preference and the higher ranked player won, meaning Zianzhi won the match.

However, Canterbury had more points in clay than the opposing player. So, she could have won according to the second rule.

Discuss and vote what you want the rule to be. Majority wins - poll closes Saturday.

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Because of disservice to Canterbury, I am allowing her to play in one extra event this year for a total of 31 events if she chooses.

Please note that no other matches were affected because of this result. Had Canterbury won, she would have had the exact same performance as Zianzhi.

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion, I prefer surface preference. Maybe it's because it's what I always thought it was, but now that I think about it, it usually gives younger players a better chance.

Veterans already have advantage with experience points, so they need to utilize them more fully and this would just give them an added advantage IMO.

·
Registered
49,029 Posts
I voted option No.2

is more easy to determine the winner when using the amount of surface pts that player has, rather than the order of the surface preferences!

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
I voted for the first one but then I remembered something...

In the 2002 French Open semis Regla played Larisa and lost the match something like 10-12 in the third set. (I know, how I remember this I don't know).

Anyway, I remember Alek telling me that we had the same points and that Larisa won because she had more points overall on clay (she won a lot of tournaments on the surface that year). That would make sense than the other rule because Larisa never had Clay as her favourite surface, I think grass was and Regla always had clay as hers.

If the first rule was used then Regla would've won that match.

I'm pretty positive that's what happened.

I know we're voting for a new rule here so I don't know if makes.

·
和平.
16,963 Posts
In my opinion, I prefer surface preference. Maybe it's because it's what I always thought it was, but now that I think about it, it usually gives younger players a better chance.

Veterans already have advantage with experience points, so they need to utilize them more fully and this would just give them an added advantage IMO.
totally agree.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,481 Posts
Because of disservice to Canterbury, I am allowing her to play in one extra event this year for a total of 31 events if she chooses.
LOL - but this is totally laughable
since RAC started to play just in May and so she can´t even play 31 tournaments this year
but it is okay
give we a wildcard anywhere and i will be happy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts