Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this Annika Soremstam thing got me thinking.

I think that if a woman can beat a man on an ELITE level playing field, that sport isn't really a sport.

Here's why. Look at tennis, athletics, basketball, swimming and others. These are all physically intense sports. Ones where women have NO chance beating the men on an ELITE level.

But then take a look at Golf, Chess and Croquet for example and the women can beat the men. Not regularly, but they can. This means that these sports are NOT physically demanding enough.

Therefore they shouldn't really be classified as 'sport'. What do you think?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
since when is chess a sport? and i know plenty of females that beat males all the time at chess.

yes, golf is without a doubt a sport. while it may not be as physical as other sports, it requires just as much skill. it really isnt as easy as most people make it out to be.

theres quite a few people that are in great physical shape, and will still be beat physically after a game of golf.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It depends on how you define it. If you use a dictionary definition then basically everything with a competitive element is sport, regardless of what playing field or gender.

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
When a lot of training and mental and phisical fitness is necessary?

anyway, darts is NOT a sport! No matter what they try to tell me on Dutch tv, it's not a sport!

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
and snooker and biljart neither :eek:

Reactions: Zamboni

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
agreed :)
and domino d-day is a sport to according to sbs....I do not agree ;)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
how can that be a sport?

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
ask Hans Kraay jr.! He always says that it's real topsport :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
well hans kraay jr. that says enough :p

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
I still say snooker and darts are sports. Especially snooker, it takes a lot of skill and practice to be able to play to the standards of the professionals.

Things like chess and croquet aren't, chess is just a mental game. If chess is a sport, then tiddlywinks is too :p

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
By the way, Sam L, I don't agree that in order for something to be a "sport" that the men, by nature, have to be able to do every aspect of it better. What about gymnastics? Do we doubt that it's a sport too? The men and women have totally different events, to account for different strengths. So if the women would be able to beat the men on the balance beam, does this mean womens gymnastics isn't a sport....or that only the mens events are? :confused:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
in chess topsport there is only one woman who competes against the men too but it's not that she was worldchampion? (or was she)

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
I agree that chess ain't a sport. It's a mental sport, which is different ;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
My definition of a sport is that a) it requires physical dexterity, or skill, so chess isn't a sport, it's a game. Darts is a sport. So is golf. And b) the results should be decided purely on merit, with no other factors like 'luck' being allowed to get in the way, so Bridge doesn't count, cos it depends what cards you get. Formula one isn't a sport imo, because the results are influenced by outside factors (sponsors want a German etc).

As for women being 'not good enough' to play in snooker WC, the rason is that there just aren't enough of them, so the standards are lower.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Darts is most definitely a sport...

Not only does it require a hell of a lot of practice, you need an iron temperament, you can't afford to lose concentration or let any tiny thing put you off your game...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts