Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like how the bottom half is still a day ahead of the top half. It's unfair - in my opinion - for the bottom half t be a day ahead so late in the tournment. I think all of the men's round of 16 matches should be on Monday. Doesn't Wimbledon do it that way? Of course, they have to because of the "no play on Sunday" bit.

When does the men's draw even out in the other majors?

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
from 1/2 only

2 mens QF are on Tues
2 on Wed

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well, as far as I know at both the AO and RG the quarterfinals are on Wednesday, so both halves have at least a day off to recover. Unless those with only one day off have really tough matches, I wouldn't say the half that has two days off has an unfair advantage. At the US Open, they can afford to spread the quarter-finals out over two days because of the Saturday semis, but of course that then disadvantages the finalist who's had the tougher semi, as was shown with Agassi last year and Sampras the year before.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hendouble - Imagine this, though:
Let's say Agassi beats Coria in 5 sets and then has 2 days off before facing Moya and then 1 day off before the final.
Now imagine Ferrero wins his QF in 5 sets, then has 1 day off before the SF, and then 1 day off before the final.

Both men may take 5 sets to win their QF, but Agassi gets two days to recover, whereas Ferrero gets 1 - you can't tell me that wouldn't help Agassi be fresher for the final.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Hendouble:
the mens 1/4 at AUS Open are not all on Wed
there's two on Tuesday plus they have 1 semi on Thursday and one on Friday.

Wimbledon is only one where its even from week2
US Open is staggered too.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hmm, I've always been a little clueless about the scheduling, it gets complex... probably because I've got used to Wimbledon's ordered system of having every round on the same day. Come to think of it, I remember now that Agassi had one more day off than Schuettler going into the AO final, not that it made any difference to the result.

I just don't think one day would make that much difference, not unless one finalist has a tough match in both the quarters and semis while the other has it easy in both their matches. To use that hypothetical example, while Agassi might feel a little fresher going into the final, Ferrero is still young, fit and healthy and would have the advantage in that match having beaten him last year.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
it really does not matter as some people claim.In MS events some players had to play everyday and still win the tournaments,while others have easy matches and lose.Unless it's an epic ala Ela/Dick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts