Tennis Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Maybe it could happen at the French OPen, if she doesn't sucumb to the pressute. Clay is her best surface

I don't think it'll happen in Australia this year. She barely scraped by Vondorousova.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Pushers and Hard Hitters can still beat her. She is not consistent enough to win seven matches against a variety of players and even in her peak Wuhan/Beijing she still had blips of mental blip games.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I used to think it was only a matter of time before Garcia would win a Slam title. Apart from some MM finals and the Fed Cup victory, her 2019 was a disaster, which included getting double bageled by Barty at one of her season highlights.

She's still young at 26 but wasted two peak years in 2018 and 2019. When is she going to hire Mauresmo and try to salvage the rest of the years she has left in her career?

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
King
28,667 Posts
I never really expected her to properly follow-up her fall 2017 form, but I also didn’t expect her to do quite as shite as she did in the 2 years following that. I just don’t think she really has “it” mentally, and maybe at some point she’ll go on a huge hot-run at a slam, but I could mostly see her making a slam F and completely shitting her pants to a Kenin or something, as opposed to actually winning it.

Funny that her breakthrough match against Sharapova @ RG 2011, isn’t far off a decade old now. Time flies!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I don't like it when a player is permanently coached by her father since childhood. It's good to have a few coaches that can each make her evolve in other ways than what the father stubbornly believes in. I guess it has held back many players over the years. I'm mostly thinking of Giorgi, Garcia and Bartoli. Sure they had some great moments but it could have been so much more.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
It's sadly looking more and more like Garcia's amazing end of 2017 was an exception and not a newly established norm. She clearly is talented, but her improved mentality which was the main difference in that purple patch went back to shit.

She's ranked #46 right now! o_O So much can change in a year or two.

·
Milk and honey
3,580 Posts
Garcia is obviously a huge talent, but I haven't seen her as a potential, or rather likely, slam winner in a very long time. After she didn't capitalise much on her 2011 RG match against Maria, I gave her a pass because she was just 17 and needed plenty of time to develop her high potential game. However, what happened is the older she got, and the further the rankings she climbed, the worse she actually got to me in several aspects. Her technique seemed to regress, and a player that liked to pull the trigger to begin with just started lashing the living daylights out of every ball, from taking returns ridiculously early to slapping most balls on the run. She became impossible to watch as she would shank or mistime a lot of returns, putting too much pressure on her service games. Outside of her famous run, she has never exhibited good mental strength either.

When she went on that very brief tear in the fall of 2017 I knew then that it wouldn't last, because she was living and dying by the bashing and her mental strength and high confidence at that time was pulling her through a lot of matches that really, she shouldn't have won. It was good to see her become a top ten player, but her peaking at 4 now makes her one of the worst top 5 players we've had in many ways. Obviously tennis is a crazy sport, and we have seem plenty of wild slam runs over the years meaning Garcia has every chance to pull 2 weeks together in the next few years once, but it's more likely than not that it happens. For every Pennetta story there's a lot of others who never piece it together, at exactly the right place and time required for them to win a major. All of that said, she shouldn't be struggling to cling onto a top 50 place and everyone knows she should be ranked at least in the top 30, which would still allow for inconsistent results.

·
Registered
21,364 Posts
I don't like it when a player is permanently coached by her father since childhood. It's good to have a few coaches that can each make her evolve in other ways than what the father stubbornly believes in. I guess it has held back many players over the years. I'm mostly thinking of Giorgi, Garcia and Bartoli. Sure they had some great moments but it could have been so much more.
Totally agree. Garcia’s biggest problem is that her dad is her coach, I’ve always said she has every tool but she needs a really good coach to put it all together to take her to the next level, and if she keeps her dad that’s not going to happen.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I used to think it was only a matter of time before Garcia would win a Slam title. Apart from some MM finals and the Fed Cup victory, her 2019 was a disaster, which included getting double bageled by Barty at one of her season highlights.

She's still young at 26 but wasted two peak years in 2018 and 2019. When is she going to hire Mauresmo and try to salvage the rest of the years she has left in her career?
I would love to see that pairing!

Hilarious to see how confident a lot of us were here (myself included). It really is a shame because she is letting her potential go to waste because her level in the 2019 Fed Cup match against Halep (under ENORMOUS pressure) showed that the game is still there, and the problem is between the ears. The final against Yastremska in Strasbourg was amazing too. She still has all the raw tools.

I think it's incredibly telling that as soon as she had ONE week off from her father's coaching (because he was on holiday), she immediately won a title again 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️ and even overcame her demons against Jen Brady (lol). With only her hitting partner Florian in tow in Nottingham. But still no change.

Have been reliving some of her early matches and it's like watching a different player. Not many players have gotten under Serena's skin like this (this was around the same time Garcia was lashing Ivanovic left and right)

·
Registered
691 Posts
The biggest slump, in April she was playing well against Halep in Fed Cup, then in November she lost also in Fed Cup but 0-6 0-6 to Barty. It's like she gave up on Meldonium. :)) The curious cases of the 2 French players Mladenovic and Garcia..

Parmentier is also out, very bad tennis days for France W.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Garcia is obviously a huge talent, but I haven't seen her as a potential, or rather likely, slam winner in a very long time. After she didn't capitalise much on her 2011 RG match against Maria, I gave her a pass because she was just 17 and needed plenty of time to develop her high potential game. However, what happened is the older she got, and the further the rankings she climbed, the worse she actually got to me in several aspects. Her technique seemed to regress, and a player that liked to pull the trigger to begin with just started lashing the living daylights out of every ball, from taking returns ridiculously early to slapping most balls on the run. She became impossible to watch as she would shank or mistime a lot of returns, putting too much pressure on her service games. Outside of her famous run, she has never exhibited good mental strength either.

When she went on that very brief tear in the fall of 2017 I knew then that it wouldn't last, because she was living and dying by the bashing and her mental strength and high confidence at that time was pulling her through a lot of matches that really, she shouldn't have won. It was good to see her become a top ten player, but her peaking at 4 now makes her one of the worst top 5 players we've had in many ways. Obviously tennis is a crazy sport, and we have seem plenty of wild slam runs over the years meaning Garcia has every chance to pull 2 weeks together in the next few years once, but it's more likely than not that it happens. For every Pennetta story there's a lot of others who never piece it together, at exactly the right place and time required for them to win a major. All of that said, she shouldn't be struggling to cling onto a top 50 place and everyone knows she should be ranked at least in the top 30, which would still allow for inconsistent results.
You can tell from this post that you've really been following her career, and I agree entirely with your insight. The thing that most stood out to me here is about her return! I think it's such a good way to sum up her career: extraordinarily high risk and the reward just isn't there in the way it is for the other bashers. She shanks so many balls on her return, far more than anybody else I can think of in the current game, and yet I think she probably lands less return winners than most other power players when she actually gets the ball in? I might be exaggerating this, but I feel like she'd be such a nice player to serve against because you know that you'll get at least two free points in most service games.

Her game has far too little margin to ever be consistent and yet I don't think she has the ceiling to justify that. Put a peaking Ostapenko vs a peaking Garcia and Ostapenko wipes the floor with her, which just makes me wonder what's the point of even having a game as risky as Garcia's.

·
Milk and honey
3,580 Posts
You can tell from this post that you've really been following her career, and I agree entirely with your insight. The thing that most stood out to me here is about her return! I think it's such a good way to sum up her career: extraordinarily high risk and the reward just isn't there in the way it is for the other bashers. She shanks so many balls on her return, far more than anybody else I can think of in the current game, and yet I think she probably lands less return winners than most other power players when she actually gets the ball in? I might be exaggerating this, but I feel like she'd be such a nice player to serve against because you know that you'll get at least two free points in most service games.

Her game has far too little margin to ever be consistent and yet I don't think she has the ceiling to justify that. Put a peaking Ostapenko vs a peaking Garcia and Ostapenko wipes the floor with her, which just makes me wonder what's the point of even having a game as risky as Garcia's.
Thanks 🙂 Yes, the return is what cripples her. You are not exaggerating at all when you say as a player you know you will most likely get at least 2 or more cheap return errors from her, and that's not even including the aces or service winners - we're talking about balls she has a play on and can return back, but her inconsistent timing and at often times crazy returning position over the years has led to a horrible combination and result. You make an interesting point regarding her risk v reward ratio, and that compared to people who hit as hard as her like Keys or Yastremska, even Lisicki in the past, she ends up being worse off.

Personally, I don't think Garcia has a short enough backswing to play the way she does. Sure, you can be aggressive whilst having long backswings (although it is not recommended, but for the players I named above it works for them as they don't have a crazy returning position or time the ball better on average), but you can't take long backswings on a return whilst standing inside of the baseline to receive a first serve - not consistently. You just can't. You would have to have Andre Agassi like timing and she does not, and the only reason I can think of that she continues to do it is because of her father still being her coach, and that it is not comfortable for Caroline to now play any other way. As long as this continues, even though she is just 26, I don't see her ever reaching the kind of heights that were once predicted for her, or even being a stable top 20 player at this point. That period in 2017 will most likely go down as a purple patch, much in the same way as Mladenovic and Vandeweghe's 2017 seasons. Even in 2018, Garcia was already stagnant and only ended that year in the top 20 thanks to spending most of the year in the top 8, thereby coasting to the third or fourth round of most draws through beating qualifiers and unseeded players, but losing almost every time against a fellow seed.

Reactions: TropoMJ

·
Registered
31,358 Posts
Judy Murray has said she "struggled" with Boris Becker's comments but how many WTA players' fathers endured criticism for not letting their daughters fly away? Many tennis parents hurt their daughter's career by staying on far too long as the head coach or burning bridges with coaches, physios or agents.

It's completely unhealthy when the dads quit their jobs 10 years ago. The whole family is supported by a young woman in her 20s and the father can't really re-enter the job market at 55 years old after such a long break. That's why they keep coaching.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Judy Murray has said she "struggled" with Boris Becker's comments but how many WTA players' fathers endured criticism for not letting their daughters fly away? Many tennis parents hurt their daughter's career by staying on far too long as the head coach or burning bridges with coaches, physios or agents.
That's something Jorge Fernandez realized quickly with humility. Kudos to him for getting his daughter near the Top 100 and winning a Junior Slam. He was a football (soccer) coach that learned to be a tennis coach but he knew he would do more harm than good if he tried to bring his daughter to the next level. It takes a professional tennis coach who doesn't need to learn everything as he goes. A father/mother should only be around from time to time for the big events as moral support IMO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Give her a good psychological coach and she'll win a slam, it's not because of a lack of ability. The French always seems to carry fear in their eyes, when they have so much talent, in the men's and women's game.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
..The final against Yastremska in Strasbourg was amazing too. She still has all the raw tools.
This is the thing which I can't understand. That match, for me, was the best I saw in the whole year - it was absolutely unreal. Yes, Yastremska played out of her skin to come out ahead, but you need two players to make a match - and Garcia contributed in spades. She had had good wins earlier in the event - why couldn't she go on with it later in the year?

There's another thread where "fathers who coach" has been discussed, and I'll go with the group who think that Garcia MIGHT benefit from her dad stepping back and letting someone else have a go. It's not that he's a bad coach - it's just that I think having him as coach unsettles the playing dynamic to a much greater degree than Giorgi in the same situation, simply because Garcia is a far more volatile player and shows her emotions in every match. You certainly can't say the same about Camila.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
She has never ever been on my radar to win a slam. Ever. I doubt she will, but hey, it's the WTA and anything can happen...

·
Registered
11,948 Posts

I do agree with your points but honestly, "living and dying by the bashing" would be a great name for a low budget documentary following around Camila Giorgi. 😅😅

21 - 39 of 39 Posts