Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or have we already?

What does she need to do to get to that level? Against Vondrousova I saw her hit winners as well as any other player on tour, but a handful of errors came along with it.

She was untouchable in Wuhan and Beijing.
She beat two of the “favorites“ in Singapore (Svitolina and Wozniacki) and took a set off Venus.

Why is she not in the conversation to win Melbourne?

·
Registered
27,900 Posts
I have to say I am impressed by her improved mental strength these months. She is calm and not that a nervous wreck anymore. The old Garcia v1.0 would have crumbled in set 3 today and lost to Vondrousova like 2-6.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
When she wins her first slam?

Reactions: eazydoesit

·
Registered
17,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When she wins her first slam?
Like Svitolina and Wozniacki have?

No one has an issue tossing their names around to win this year.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Garcia actually is a favorite to win the slam. Maybe not the top favorite because of her draw and the fact that she didn't play a match this year coming into AO, but definitely a contender.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
If she beats Keys in the fourth round, then maybe she can enter the conversation. Until then, no dice. Remember, people are still trying to make Mladenovic and Konta happen.

·
Registered
322 Posts
For me, not yet, because:
(1) Her rise in the rankings is fairly recent and her wins in Wuhan and Beijing came somewhat as a surprise, so it is unsure how she is going to develop during this season, and
(2) Her wins against, for example, Svitolina (Beijing and YEC) and Wozniacki (YEC), and now again against Vondrousova, have been real battles in which she, although showing mental strength, made a lot of errors. My feeling watching them was that it could have gone wrong at any time and she could have lost all of them easily. I will consider her a slam favorite (or candidate) if she can win these matches more convincingly. However, I directly concede that virtually no players on the Tour are really convincing at the moment.

Her ranking is secure for the rest of the year, though, as lower ranked players are flopping left and right, which has lead to a gap of almost 1500 points with No. 9.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
When do we start talking about Caroline Garcia as a slam favorite?
Andy Murray started years ago.
We started to take her seriously at the end of last year.
Welcome to the talk. You are not late. :)
She may not do it this year. But she's surely building a case for it.

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Or have we already?

What does she need to do to get to that level? Against Vondrousova I saw her hit winners as well as any other player on tour, but a handful of errors came along with it.

She was untouchable in Wuhan and Beijing.
She beat two of the “favorites“ in Singapore (Svitolina and Wozniacki) and took a set off Venus.

Why is she not in the conversation to win Melbourne?
She's been in my Top 3 for Melbourne since the YEC ended. I think her success wouldn't be based on the speed of the court. As in, even if the court was going to be faster like it was last year, she would have a chance to beat anyone she needed to. Unfortunately, she hasn't been as solid in Melbourne. She was a break down against Carina. She looked like a realistic loser in that second-round match. I hope she'll have the mental fortitude to steady her ship, because the slam is early yet, and her road is not one of the easiest. I mean, Sasnovich reached the final of Brisbane beating some pretty decent opposition so if Caro G is struggling with her nerves, which I think was the case tonight, it's going to be a straight-forward affair by any means. She needs to calm her cooch down if she has any designs on getting to tail-end of this slam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maybe another reason is that she'd had one match this entire season before the Australian Open, and it was her retiring in tears because of back pain? Nobody knew what form nor health she was going to bring into here...

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
See what we're not gonna do is jinx her.........

Seriously though it's only a matter of time. Nobody else has the mental resolve she has right now on the tour (and ability to play through her bad periods during a match). Her serve is a big weapon, tireless movement, aggressive play. I think she'll be a real threat at RG. Of the remaining top 20, she's the only one I want to win the AO... but she's still playing herself into the season and hasn't yet regained her form from the end of the year. I have complete faith that she will, though.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Because the only time she's played at a top 10 level for more than one match in a row is for two months at the end of last year, and people take these hot streaks against tired players in Asia with a pinch of salt?

Let her make a Slam SF at least first :shrug:

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Definitely in the conversation, top 8?
Simona Caro Karo Maria Angie Garcia Keys Elina Jelena
Not in any order

·
Registered
607 Posts
Try not to hype her up. The last French player I thought had a chance at a Slam is sadly in a major slump right now.

·
Registered
20,938 Posts
:D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
She almost lost today. I think a QF here would be a big run for her, but who knows how far she can go. This tournament is quite open.

·
Registered
113,568 Posts
Garcia has a R of 16 with Keys if they win 1 more match
Lets see that first. These 2 and Kerber/Sharapova and Halep/Pliskova are probably the big 6 in the top half.
Plus Aga

1 - 20 of 39 Posts