• I'm indifferent and waiting.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I don't follow tennis.

Votes: 6 4.8%
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
19,460 Posts
Mainly neutral. But I’ve liked her since getting to know her personality (it’s understandable why people find her boring, though). Girl is the definition of a professional. Plus she has came a long long way since she was a forever WC prior to taking her cricket break. Not a fan of her game, but hey it’s effective. 🤷‍♂️ Lastly, if you have Pliskova across the net from you in a GS final, you automatically have my support. :D

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
...Add into it, the narrative around Barty's comeback was "she left to play cricket" but that's not even close to accurate. To my knowledge, she hasn't come out and said "depression" but people close to her (including her father) have effectively said as much. She didn't do much of anything for the first six months after she left the sport; it wasn't until she was feeling up for it again that she started with the cricket. That's....pretty classic depressive behavior.
You seem to forget that the seasons are the opposite way round in the Southern Hemisphere. Cricket is a summer game, so she couldn't start playing it when it wasn't actually being played. She had spoken to the various cricket organisations about playing in the 2015-16 season long before she actually took the field in her first competitive match.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
You seem to forget that the seasons are the opposite way round in the Southern Hemisphere. Cricket is a summer game, so she couldn't start playing it when it wasn't actually being played. She had spoken to the various cricket organisations about playing in the 2015-16 season long before she actually took the field in her first competitive match.
From her own words, it wasn't until many months into her hiatus that the subject came up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I like Ash. She seems like a good person.

I didn't care for her sitting most of last year out. I made a comment about her returning to cricket and then returning and still being number 1 in tennis. This comment has been brought up several times since whenever she wins a title.

I'm glad to see her back playing well and winning titles. It is great for the tour. It is sad that posters feel the need to repost old comments whenever a player wins something. It is really an ugly and petty side of this forum.

A genuine criticism of someone doesn't make you a "hater" - another embarassing expression overused on this forum.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I liked her when she quit tennis to play for for her town's cricket team. A real jock, not after money or international fame. Also liked her when she came back to tennis because of missing tennis. I didn't think she'd find this much success with that BH. But her serve (for a short girl) and her net game are top.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think I've had a period when she's been about when I've not supported her. Most juniors sit on a general Like-Neutral spectrum, and her winning Junior Wimbledon got her a bit more attention over here. I don't follow juniors much - but mainly remember being shocked at how much she looks like my older sister (there are times Barty is playing where I think I'm watching my big sister play).

I generally supported the Barty/Dellacqua team - by far my favourites of the time (unless the Williams sisters played).

Then she took a hiatus which I thought was a shame, but understood. And then since she's come back I've actively supported her singles career - I hoped she'd be able to have enough success to justify coming back. She has more than smashed that and I couldn't be happier for her

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

They do talk a bit about depression here. I remember reading this article in 2017 when I was trying to learn more about her and it definitely moved me and gave me a lot of appreciation for how she fought despite her mental struggles. To anyone who hasn't read this article yet, please do, it's worth it :)

---

On an unrelated note, I remember reading the below article from 2018 and thinking: Ash has so many great shots - why isn't she top 10 yet?! And then boom 2019 happened haha

It was a great article, had read it before but couldn't remember where. So thanks :) My favourite paragraph in that has not changed " “I love the challenge of the one-on-one, and the way everyone’s game is unique, and you’ve gotta beat the girl down the other end and it doesn’t matter how you do it. With tennis there’s always a sniff, there’s always a chance, so you keep fighting, because you never know when you’ll win that break, or your opponent will roll an ankle. Sometimes it’s just about digging in and hanging around. It’s never over until we’re shaking hands at the net. Then you’ve either won or you’ve lost and – either way – you look them in the eye and say, ‘Well played, mate.’ ”

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Well I didn't expect the thread to go this long, that is as a result of great posters on this board, not me.

I appreciated Ash when she was a junior. There was absolutely something special about her game. Even then I was waiting for the best ball-basher since Dokic. I was a baseliner and wanted a strong player from the back of the court to help propel Australian tennis into the next generation. I "liked" Ash for her Junior Wimbledon win but was not besotted. When I was able to stream Barty vs Peng in an ITF on grass with her return, I was wowed. I stopped thinking the future was about drama and the capacity to intimidate. She wasn't moving poorly and seemed to be 5 years older than herself in that match.

Apologies for not putting up more options, really didn't think the thread would have interest.

Which brings me to my main point. I created this thread because Ash is the world #1. I didn't want Ash to get to # 2 and be forgotten. Different player? Yes. Will Ash's game inform coaching with Juniors now? I'd image it will. That is a legacy to break the common theme you need to hit hard until you can't. That was going to destroy this game.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I also probably wouldn't list her as a 'favourite', but I remember seeing her on grass in 2017 and in Wuhan later that year and thinking 'good on her'. It was an impressive rise and she had a nice game with more than just the basic elements. And yes, as someone mentioned she has that very Australian, sporting personality that we have seen with Stosur, Molik, Stubbs etc.

Since her rise to #1 I have come to appreciate her in a new way, and I really feel we are lucky to have her at the top of the ladder. A player who does well on every single surface, throughout the entire season, and consistently picks up titles at all levels (especially in an era where half the top players are M.I.A most of the year, withdrawing from one 'warmup' event with fake injuries and hoping to cruise to slam wins over sub-top-30 opponents lol). And she plays doubles too?

Even if I DID find her game or personality boring (I don't), she is still an invaluable #1 of the tour for that reason. She's committed, shows up and wins matches in a largely fuss-free manner. For those who don't find her exciting enough, I do think it would be nice if some of these 'more exciting' other players stepped up to join her and challenge her in that regard.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Became interested when she won Wimbledon junior title, followed her a bit in doubles but had no idea what happened to her when she took her break and played professional cricket.
Then, when she reappeared, sort of suspected we were going to see something special

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I have never been a massive fan (and was very critical of the period when she was showered with WCs into grand slams, which in fact nearly destroyed her career with too much expectation and too little result). However, I must applaud her for the way she has led the tour this year and won Wimbledon. Osaka had won two consecutive slams and should have been both number one and tour leader but seems to have checked out of tennis, or at least any tennis apart from her handful of favoured hard court events and is far more interested in being some sort of woke sub- Kardashian than a tennis great who can win on all surfaces, in Europe as well as Asia, the Pacific and North America. Barty on the other hand has grown into the role of number one, won on all surfaces, and confirmed her status with that Wimbledon win, all with a minimum of fuss and drama. Her game is a bit too cutesy-tricksy for my liking but it is certainly working at the moment.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I have never been a massive fan (and was very critical of the period when she was showered with WCs into grand slams, which in fact nearly destroyed her career with too much expectation and too little result). However, I must applaud her for the way she has led the tour this year and won Wimbledon. Osaka had won two consecutive slams and should have been both number one and tour leader but seems to have checked out of tennis, or at least any tennis apart from her handful of favoured hard court events and is far more interested in being some sort of woke sub- Kardashian than a tennis great who can win on all surfaces, in Europe as well as Asia, the Pacific and North America. Barty on the other hand has grown into the role of number one, won on all surfaces, and confirmed her status with that Wimbledon win, all with a minimum of fuss and drama. Her game is a bit too cutesy-tricksy for my liking but it is certainly working at the moment.
Ash would love a match with Serena or Naomi, win or lose she doesn't care. They are avoiding her for the brand. THAT is disappointing, not even saying Ash would win.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
People hate Ash because: a) She's short, that doesn't make sense to have a huge serve. b) She is too nice. c) Has more respect for her culture, family, team and mates than the tour and when she will leave. d) whatever you pack of uninterested tennis fans say.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts