• I'm indifferent and waiting.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I don't follow tennis.

Votes: 6 4.8%
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I started to like her specifically from this spring, when she has demonstrated to be consistent (word unknown for pretty much everyone on the tour right now), and also for her calmness and lack of drama off court.
However, her game sometimes after a while puts me to sleep.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,237 Posts
She’s a really nice , hardworking girl who has achieved a lot already and will continue to do so , but she lacks a lot in order for me to root for her ... I wouldn’t say her game is necessarily ugly , but she does two things in her matches : she other plays badly ( and it’s very ugly to watch ) while still winning , or she plays well , and hence that’s how her game is structured , she makes her opponents play ugly , which results in really ugly matches ...
Watching a player break down their opponent's game so that they are unable to play at their normal level has always been one of the most fascinating and intriguing things in a tennis match for me. It displays a craftiness, guile and level of skill that I find quite enthralling. When a player is up against a really powerful top 10 opponent who can often blast their opponents off the court and they turn that player into a confused, frustrated error machine, bereft of confidence and unsure how they are supposed to play that is really something and it takes a pretty incredible talent to do that to a high quality opponent.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Watching a player break down their opponent's game so that they are unable to play at their normal level has always been one of the most fascinating and intriguing things in a tennis match for me. It displays a craftiness, guile and level of skill that I find quite enthralling. When a player is up against a really powerful top 10 opponent who can often blast their opponents off the court and they turn that player into a confused, frustrated error machine, bereft of confidence and unsure how they are supposed to play that is really something and it takes a pretty incredible talent to do that to a high quality opponent.
The way she played that third set in the wimbledon final showed that she is true champ and with a slice. What's not to like 😁

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I was impressed by her as a top doubles player in Career 1.0, impressed by the maturity it took to recognize she was unhappy and step away from the sport, and impressed when she returned so strongly, winning Kuala Lumpur as a qualifier in just her 5th tour-level MD back.

But I think I first started to LIKE her during grass season 2017. The matches against Strycova, Muguruza, and Kvitova at Birmingham were properly impressive. That's when I thought she had what it took to be a top 10er someday.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Honestly, younger players like Osaka or Andreescu would be better as #1 to promote the WTA but as second choice Barty does a great job too and wouldn´t mind if she keeps this up.
I disagree, they don't play enough and they are rubbish off of hard courts. The game isn't going to grow much more in America, best to have a #1 who is great on the People's Surface (clay) and iconic grass courts. That's the kind of venue people fall in love with tennis over.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
19,236 Posts
I was most of the time indifferent to her and I admit I disliked her for a short period after she beat Kerber in Wimbledon but I like and appreciate the fact that she is one of the few true dominant #1 we had the last decade and I also like her calm but straightforward personality.

Honestly, younger players like Osaka or Andreescu would be better as #1 to promote the WTA but as second choice Barty does a great job too and wouldn´t mind if she keeps this up.
Osaka "I can't be bothered to play tournaments, show up to press conferences, and use mental health to excuse my actions" would not do a better job of being #1, that's why she's not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I began warming to her during 2013 Hopman Cup and was thrilled with her doubles season with Dellacqua (they felt robbed at the Newcombe medal). Became a favourite circa Birmingham in 2017.

I was a Ferrer stan for much of that decade but he was declining then towards the finish, and therefore I was on the market for new faves (Ash then Meddy)

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
I have always liked her - ever since she emerged as a player (in juniors even).

·
Art & Futures
22,345 Posts
Barty in 6-9 months will surpass Osaka easily. I'd even argue she's equal to Osaka now. RG and Wimbledon are more prestigious slams than USO, AO. And Barty has more titles, and #1 ranking longer. Osaka shit herself when she got #1.
Barty has surpassed Osaka to me imo. GS are overrated in WTA (which doesn’t even run GS hehe).

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Barty in 6-9 months will surpass Osaka easily. I'd even argue she's equal to Osaka now. RG and Wimbledon are more prestigious slams than USO, AO. And Barty has more titles, and #1 ranking longer. Osaka shit herself when she got #1.
Barty's ability to perform at #1 is maybe the most underrated part of her emerging greatness. Serena is the only player with more titles as the #1 than Barty since Justine Henin. After a pretty long period when the non-Serena #1 players all pretty much sucked at being the #1 (Azarenka and (sort of) Wozniacki the exceptions) it's refreshing to see a #1 who regularly holds up her end of the draw.

·
Registered
57,288 Posts
No idea.
When I discovered that she is a humble, friendly, down-to-earth girl - despite the big success.
I respect that a lot (y)

And also a bonus that she DELIVERS on the tennis court.
WTA has enough players with fluke runs or just peak a few tournaments and then disappear.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
I really like Barty since I started follow tennis because she is able to defeat players which I dislike 😀 She's the tennis player I trust most of all capable of knocking Naomi out of the Tokyo olympics.
Bencic says hi

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I really like Barty since I started follow tennis because she is able to defeat players which I dislike 😀 She's the tennis player I trust most of all capable of knocking Naomi out of the Tokyo olympics.
That's making the assumption the #1 and #2 ranked players both make the final, which is....interesting.

·
Banned
273 Posts
I have to admit, I tend only to like players to whom I am immensely attracted, and Barty will be disappointed to find out that despite the admitted appeal of her deltoids and trapezius', I am not immensely attracted to her. I am simply attracted to the deltoids and trapezius'. However, I do believe she is playing at the highest level ever achieved in the sport, along with Krejcikova and Giorgi (when on).

·
Registered
35,770 Posts
I checked "I'm indifferent and waiting" but that's not really the case; none of the other answers seemed fitting though.

I have never had anything against BARTY, but have never been a fan of her game or general demeanor. Her rise after the time off was very impressive, but I was never a fan. Once I started learning more about her and seeing her talk (around Roland Garros 2019) I realized that she's a very likable person but still found her game incredibly boring. I leaned towards the category of dislike even though I didn't have anything against her.

I think it was Miami this year, and then the clay tournaments after, that I came to really respect her. She showed that she really did deserve the top ranking and reaffirmed what an incredibly likable person she is (also in her press conference after losing at the AO for the latter, but that match implied to me that she wasn't a worthy number one). Now I have really high respect for her as a person, so I like her in that sense, but still can't warm to her game for whatever reason. So at least at this point I'm a fan of the person but not the player.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
I wasn't really aware of her in her first career. When she came back, I think I first watched her play properly in the 2017 grass season, and I liked what I saw. She seemed very suited to grass, and I thought she would be like Riske/Vekic who play particularly well on the surface. Got a nice player to watch every grass season :p I was a bit disappointed when she then lost R1 in Wimbledon to Svitolina, but anyway.

She had some really solid results in the US hardcourt swing, especially since she had to qualify for them, and that kept her on the radar for me. However, the first time I really took notice and fell in love with her game was her run to the final in Wuhan. The way she dismantled the games of her top opponents round after round was so impressive. I was gutted when she lost the final, but that run made me delve more into her past and find out her background, and I've been loving following her since! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Since the days of ABCD doubles team.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
There’s really no valid reason to dislike Barty. She’s very professional on and off the court, never gets angry, smashes rackets or throws hissy fits, she conducts herself well in interviews despite being somewhat of an introvert, mega talented with a tons of weapons to hurt opponents, she doesn’t grunt/scream and she just seems like a nice, down to earth girl who you would like as a mate.

I always appreciated her talent in the early years but in all honesty I never really paid much attention to her during her first career as she never seemed to really break through and had a negative reputation around here as being the WC queen down under. When she left to play cricket I really didn’t think anything of it other than “what a waste” but I had no doubt in my mind that she would come back some day.

I remember seeing her play in Nottingham very early into her comeback (I can’t remember if it was a challenger or a WTA event). I was sat behind her team and I was listening in on their conversations because I’m a nosy bitch. It was all very laid back, positive and had a sense of calm and direction (which is definitely not always the case with some coaches). Realising she had a good team around her and seeing how fast she rose up the rankings made me believe that this time things would be different.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t list her as one of my favourites or anything but I am very glad the sport had someone like her at the top and I’m happy for her to have all the success she is having as I feel she truly deserves it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I checked "I'm indifferent and waiting" but that's not really the case; none of the other answers seemed fitting though.

I have never had anything against BARTY, but have never been a fan of her game or general demeanor. Her rise after the time off was very impressive, but I was never a fan. Once I started learning more about her and seeing her talk (around Roland Garros 2019) I realized that she's a very likable person but still found her game incredibly boring. I leaned towards the category of dislike even though I didn't have anything against her.

I think it was Miami this year, and then the clay tournaments after, that I came to really respect her. She showed that she really did deserve the top ranking and reaffirmed what an incredibly likable person she is (also in her press conference after losing at the AO for the latter, but that match implied to me that she wasn't a worthy number one). Now I have really high respect for her as a person, so I like her in that sense, but still can't warm to her game for whatever reason. So at least at this point I'm a fan of the person but not the player.
Exactly my stance about her.
Respect her a lot, but her playing style is non-exciting to me.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts