Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I don't follow tennis.

Votes: 6 4.8%
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tongue in cheek thread. Everything is boring right now. Granted, a poll on the #1 will spark people up I'm sure.
So many on this forum, post and present, have seen Ash as many things she is not. The hate seems to have stopped since Ash grabbed Wimbledon.
At what point did you like Ash? It's a pretty easy question.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Since this year I like barty. Last year I thought she wasn’t the real nr 1 because she was invisible but now she has leave her home country and family for a year and she is winning I have huge respect for her. She is down to earth and friendly. She is not the most interesting person but she is sweet and sympathetic and the unquestionably nr 1. She is now 1 of my favorites

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
She'll never be a favourite of mine because I do want more from my top players than just good tennis player and nice girl, but I have always respected her results, and definitely appreciated her far more once that Roland Garros semi final line up was confirmed, and quickly realised there were far worse scenarios than Ash Barty making the latter stages of slams.

Once the Wimbledon draw was made, and I saw who was in her section, I was actually wanting her to win a number of matches, which isn't usually like me, and especially as it wasn't against Sabalenka in the final, I was happy for her when she won Wimbledon as it was a dream for her, and a respectable champion for the Championships.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I started following her a bit during her rise at the end of 2018 and at the start of 2019. I was impressed with her.

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Loaded question. Since she started playing the WBBL for Brisbane Heat because I am avid cricket fan. Although I follow the male version and don't know much about the female leagues.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
984 Posts
Professional sports is about entertainment first and foremost. There are no striking qualities about her that make people go "wow"..... so sorry that she is a tad too bland/boring for my taste.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Probably since AO 2019, but not quite sure. I didn't like her as a junior, for she was getting dozens of WC's, so much more than other young players. Then she disappeared somewhere -- to play cricket, as I learned afterwards. When she was back my initial aversion had evaporated and at some point, not quite sure when, I found her likeable. Not a very strong attachment, but yes, I do like her.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think this year. Earlier I was neutral to her.

I started to appreciate her commitment to WTA tour, her humble personality and variety in her game. What's not to like?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
At least gone are the days when she would $hit her pants because her opponent screamed C'MON!

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I've always liked her because she supports RICHMOND :love:.

She's not in my top 15 players BUT if my faves don't win the event, I always want an Aussie to win, so that's usually Ash at present.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
She'll never be a favourite of mine because I do want more from my top players than just good tennis player and nice girl, but I have always respected her results, and definitely appreciated her far more once that Roland Garros semi final line up was confirmed, and quickly realised there were far worse scenarios than Ash Barty making the latter stages of slams.

Once the Wimbledon draw was made, and I saw who was in her section, I was actually wanting her to win a number of matches, which isn't usually like me, and especially as it wasn't against Sabalenka in the final, I was happy for her when she won Wimbledon as it was a dream for her, and a respectable champion for the Championships.
I always enjoy your posts.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
While I can't claim Ash has been one of my of my absolute favourites I was aware of her due to her winning Junior Wimbledon and I really started liking her 2013 - mainly out of sympathy. :LOL:

I just started following this forum that year and it seemed Ash got a lot of what I thought was harsh criticism. I later discovered of course on TF every player gets a lot of harsh criticism.:LOL:

Some questioned her commitment - maybe with cause at the time as it turned out. Also got slated for the number of wildcards she got. Though i think some of that was to do with the absurdities of the reciprocal wildcard system at Grand Slams - which was bit unfair since it was hardly her fault....

Australian posters can correct me if this was wrong but also got the impression there was quite a lot of expectation coming from back home.

I remember she played Pavly twice that year. Normally anyone who draws Nastia twice in one year gets a win. Ash lost both. With bagel each time for good measure......

Seemed really down to earth young lady with an interesting game who was struggling with the pro tour.

But then she took a break, came back and it's all good.Got to World No.1, won a couple of Slams. Even managed to beat Pavly a couple of times. :p

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I missed her junior Wimbledon win and discovered her in Australian wildcard playoffs 2012 when she beat Casey in first round and ultimately won tournament.

Infact I posted YouTube highlights of that tournament ;)

1 - 20 of 132 Posts