Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No bullshit. "I knew from Q1 that she was going to win." isn't an acceptable answer.

When did people HONESTLY think that Emma had a serious crack at winning the USO title?

When I seen her in the 1R match against Vogele, I thought she had something about her. The swagger, the control, and especially some of the shots she was pulling off. I thought she was in decent condition, and could do some damage and perhaps match get to R3 or R4 at a push.

However, it was the Sorribes Tormo match in R3 that convinced me she had the game to win. The Rogers win later than night over Barty only further re-enforced my belief that the draw was beginning to open up a little, and something special might happen. The way she attacked at every single opportunity and barely made an error told me she was striking the ball so cleanly.

In saying that, to rattle through the draw the way she did, in straight sets, and show the sort of mental resilience that she did in big moments was something that genuinely surprised me in this competition. Right up until the last ace.

British athletes just don't typically do what she did. The only other active one I can think that looked so dominant in their field was perhaps Adam Peaty, the Swimmer.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
I went into the Voegele match expecting her to win that match, and then I would have considered that a successful enough tournament - qualified, won a match in an overseas slam, 110 points, a bit extra cash - decent, respectable effort.

I was expecting the Zhang match to be far closer than their earlier SJ match, but thought she might come unstuck again, and was pleasantly surprised when she won fairly comfortably. I fancied her chances vs SST, but certainly not in the manner, and once Barty lost to Rogers later that night, I did get a tiny feeling, especially (as an odds man) when I saw she had come in to the 8/1 4th favourite, even if a lot of that was expected hype money, but I still thought it would be too good to be true. On reflection, seeing what everyone on here was saying, seeing the match odds, I thought she could beat Rogers, didn't expect her to beat Bencic. I was about 50/50 going into the Sakkari match, but then had a good feeling heading into the final.

So to answer the question, minor hopes of it actually happening once Barty lost on middle Saturday, but I guess fairly quickly into the Sakkari match in the very early hours of Friday morning that I started to kind of expect her to win, especially with Aryna losing just before.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
When the semi finals were set.......Sabalenka. Sakkar, Fernandez, Raducanu.....i was confident it would be Sakkari holding the trophy. HUGE win over Andreescu in nail biting R16, looked REALLY good against Pliskova in QF. Only when Emma beat Sakkari in SF did I thinks she could win. I had the Final at 50-50.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the semi finals were set.......Sabalenka. Sakkar, Fernandez, Raducanu.....i was confident it would be Sakkari holding the trophy. HUGE win over Andreescu in nail biting R16, looked REALLY good against Pliskova in QF. Only when Emma beat Sakkari in SF did I thinks she could win. I had the Final at 50-50.
I did think Sakkari was going to be a tough one for Emma, but I thought her performance against Pliskova in the QF was misleading. She served as well as I've seen her, and knew she wouldn't be able to replicate that performance in the SF. Pliskova was also very poor, which made Sakkari's performance look more impressive than it was. I did think it was going 3 sets though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sakkari had a stat of winning 22 points ina row on her serve and was serving big against Bencic and playing really strongly. A few games into the first set once it was clear Emma could deal with Sakarri serve and at that moment I knew it was more than possible, it was probable......

I thought Emma would of overpowered Leyla quicker than she did, as Emam was not going to crumble and just give the games away by UE and crumbling. I was pleasantly surprised by Leyla being a bit more agressive and it was a great match, but never did I think Leyla would win it.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
After the SST match.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
There were 2 moments for me...the first one was her demolition of SST...after that match, I felt like she really has the game to win it all but I wasn't sure whether she had the mental game to go all the way or not and also she hasn't played on Ashe until that point..even though the following 2 matches against Bencic, Rogers were straight forward on Ashe(partly helped by her opponents melting down), I still felt like she wasn't really tested and wasn't sure whether she can sustain her game under pressure in SF, Final.

But that SF against Sakkari is when I was finally confident that she will win the final..her SF performance was one of the most impressive performances from a youngster on a stage like this. Infact, the final was the only match among all the 10 matches she has played this USO where I was really confident about Emma winning. That SF performance really increased my confidence in her. Especially in that 2nd set when Sakkari saved BPs and held 2 long service games, the way Emma managed to hold her serve right away quickly without any issues was very impressive imo...those are the kinda situations where inexperience usually costs youngsters and it was good to see Emma not letting previous game's disappointment affect her.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Honestly, not until the final... 😂 😂 😂 Even then, I was sure it would take 3 sets if she were to win.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some long rally mid way through the first set against Bencic when it became obvious she could rally all day and finish of as she pleased against any level of opponent. I was rooting for Bencic so it was beyond frustrating watching it happen and from then on I was watching with the hope something would change rather than the expectation it would.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
After watching all of her WTA level matches, I thought she was capable of having a decent run but I didn't actually think she WOULD win the tournament until about midway in the 1st set against Sakkari. Once Leylah knocked out Sabalenka, I knew if she could get by Sakkari that she would have a very good chance against Leylah. Sabalenka's power was the one thing I was scared of from the semi's lineup.

·
Milk and honey
4,286 Posts
Hmm. Even after the Zhang first set and SST match, I still thought it was a QF type run that was on the cards and no more than that.

I really thought Bencic would be the one to make her come unstuck, the only match throughout the entire run where I just didn’t think she would have enough due to Beli’s consistency and confidence right now. When she settled in set 1 and was on serve after 30 minutes, looking even more comfortable than Belinda I realised that it was absolutely possible for her to do the unthinkable as for me it was the toughest match. Even then however I thought it was an outside chance as at point I expected Leylah to get tired vs Aryna (which she did but who knew Aryna was going to play quite that badly in those last couple of games). Always had a Sabalenka Bencic final. One wonders if Pliskova had got to the semis, if her serving would’ve been too much for Emma who’s ROS was by far the best this event of anyone’s, but who hadn’t come up against anyone serving quite that well. In the end however she was so magnificent that I don’t think it would’ve mattered or made any difference at all.

After Aryna lost is when I genuinely thought she was absolutely going all the way. Didn’t think Sakkari would have enough to trouble her and knew Emma wouldn’t be nervous as she’d already won 2 straight Ashe matches and it wasn’t the final. By the final it was clear she was in much better form than Leylah and has more in her game, so I expected a win there although nothing is a given. Still just total insanity when you think about it. So, so proud of Emma. I’m only now really coming to terms with the record breaking 3 weeks that she achieved.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Even in the SFs I thought it would be a Podoroska type wrong but luckily she proved me wrong, it wasn't really until I saw the final I thought she had a good chance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not until she beat Maria. Thought Maria would bring a game Emma hadn't seen before & she'd need a meeting or two to adapt to such a high level of play. Who knew Emma was superhuman.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think I started to think it was a remote possibility when the last 8 were set.

But it wasn't until after the semis that I felt she was the favourite. And then, I kind of had the feeling, Emma in two... or Leylah in three. She hadn't had to face any tight matches. I thought if Leylah got a set, her experience in that situation would count, even though she must have been more fatigued.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts