Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Art & Futures
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When aggressively faced with facts that contradict your perspective...

... what do you typically do? be honest.

Reactions: Beat

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

How do you mean it? Give me an example ...

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
I am very open-minded and willing to listen to other people's opinions, but when it is facts represented aggressively, I will aggressively debunk them with pseudofacts until the person thinks that they are also wrong. Present your facts, but don't be aggressive for me to accept them.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I am very open-minded and willing to listen to other people's opinions, but when it is facts represented aggressively, I will aggressively debunk them with pseudofacts until the person thinks that they are also wrong. Present your facts, but don't be aggressive for me to accept them.
Agree but I can't remember the situation when somebody would present me real facts in an aggressive manner. People who are educated and know the facts also tend to debate in a civil manner. People who present nonsense can tend to be aggressive to give their opinions a higher platform. Aggressiveness in debates is a signal for lack of arguments ...

·
Registered
39,967 Posts
I am never "aggressively faced with facts" :spit:

Usually I am faced with aggressive emotional "arguments". These are more or less annoying, depending on the fucked-upness of the person making them.
Try dealing with the FACT you're a failed troll.

·
Registered
30,651 Posts
Try dealing with the FACT you're a failed troll.
People who constantly loudly proclaim they are dealing with FACTs are insecure. They mistakenly think that screaming about it makes it factual.

·
Registered
63 Posts

On Tennis Forum it gets ignored.

After there were 5 pages of push back against a woman's unproven homophobia, I posted and stated that sexism does not get 5 pages of push back on a Women's Tennis Forum.

A woman liking a post which was critical of 8 category of "sins" (1/8 being homosexuality) gets more push back for it then those actually calling women's tennis inferior to men's tennis on a Women's Tennis Forum.

Sexism is bigger problem then Homophobia, homosexuals can be safe in the closet and still carry on their life without danger, there is no such closet for Women.

About every 16 hours, a woman is shot and killed by a former or current partner in the USA.

In the United States, more than one in three women report experiencing abuse from a partner in their lifetime.1 The effects of this abuse are far-reaching, impacting not only individual victims, but also their families, their communities, and our economy. When domestic abusers have access to guns, the effects can be deadly. This nexus between guns and domestic violence makes the US the most dangerous country for women compared to other high-income countries.

USA is no worse then rest of the World.

Shame on all men but particularly on all those men who give more push back against homophobia then they do on Sexism. Including those like George Clooney.
This was followed by 5 more pages of push back against homophobia - I have not yet come across a 11 page thread against sexism on Tennis Forum recently.

·
Registered
39,967 Posts
People who constantly loudly proclaim they are dealing with FACTs are insecure. They mistakenly think that screaming about it makes it factual.
So you refuse to deal with it. NOTED.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
I go through all 5 of the Kubler-Ross stages...

... oh wait, actually I usually just make a joke.

:eek:h:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Bet you've seen frauds seemingly suave and persuasive with their nonsense and they are the best (or the worst) kind so the tone doesn't matter.
Communication is so overrated and I truly think it's best focusing on building one's own kingdom of ideas as barely anyone would clearly discern and define right or wrong.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You mean in a situation where your perspective is clearly wrong and someone aggressively shows you that? Or in a situation where the other person just has a different perspective which might not be correct and tries to force it on you?
First case, I ignore them.
Second case, I also ignore them.

I don't deal with aggressive people.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
... someone has anger issues.

·
Art & Futures
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealing with or dealing out? :scratch:

·
Art & Futures
20,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do you mean it? Give me an example ...
I wrote this late at night so I am not sure exactly what I was thinking haha

It was moreso maybe a question as to whether or not you would be able to parse out the emotion from a situation from factual statements in a situation (though that isn't to say emotion is not factual nor that facts are strictly unemotional). As seen in responses so far, it seems a lot of people respond with emotion in kind. Maybe it's better for both parties to cool off first and do something else before returning to conversation. :yeah:

For me, I tend to try to give other people the benefit of the doubt, though I can get overwhelmed as well. It seems like online it might be easier to parse out statements unemotionally, but that can also have its drawbacks, and can also lead to incorrect interpretations!

·
Registered
19,677 Posts
I think anyone's base reaction is to automatically to reject notions that are contrary to their preconceptions. This leads to the concept of "skeptic-o-meter" whereby an individual will juggle values according to their judgments of plausibility. Some may have a very high threshold on this meter whereby they are willing to reject almost everything that doesn't fit their perspective, while there also are those will low thresholds and are very likely to believe what they are being told. Most of us operate this skeptic-o-meter without being aware that it does influence how we make decisions.

Of course delivery is an important factor when it comes to "fact" presentation. Because of personal biases in how we deal with varying perspectives, one generally has to find some middle ground as well if trying to convince someone otherwise in their beliefs, and with great patience (also see Asian parent syndrome). Otherwise you probably won't get very far.

On the other hand, sometimes you might actually get quite far with being direct :eek:h:

And maybe it might be liberating to eventually accept it too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts