Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Heyyy
22,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why are so many players not playing Indian Wells this year, only 7 of the top 15:

Davenport
Sharapova
Henin
Pierce
Dementieva
Myskina
Vaidisova

clijsters is injured and venus doesnt play IW but it seems a pretty poor turnout. i know miami is mandatory but usually most play both IW and miami. i look forward to this tournament cos its kinda like a slam but most of my faves aren't playing so its a bit of a let down

looks like henin's tournament-anyone know why so many players are staying away this year?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
:yeah:

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Daniela better play here, So if she does, it will be 8 out of the top 15

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Miami is compulsory

However the new ranking system gives considerable scope to smart players who schedule intelligently. Because IW is unpopular anyway and will be more so because Miami is compulsory there are lots of Tier 1 points available for the intelligent scheduling player.

If you want to see intelligent scheduling within a reasonable schedule (18-20 tournaments) look at where Myskina and Dementieva and Sharapova are playing - they hit Tokyo and now they are hitting IW -its really clever if they keep it up. Hitting weak Tier 1s the bright thing to do now quality points don't penalise beating weak fields.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Daniela will have to play here. She won it a couple years ago and she seems to enjoy it. Good Luck Nikki, Dani (will Jelena play here?)

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
if you got to play Miami for 2 weeks, you wouldn't commit to play IW. that is gonna be too much tennis for the top tenners. so good luck for Nicole, make at least SF baby :D

BTW will Ana play there?

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Mary can be n°1 after Miami ! Go Girl ! ;)

·
Rest In Peace, Elena
19,144 Posts
Once i heard last year article, its said that Venus and Serena doesn't want to play at IW at all because everyone in the crowds was booing at them in 2002 (or something) for some reasons (maybe they are racist)

·
Premium Member
181,954 Posts
the crowds for IW are more than they get for Miami still
plus its venue and condition are alot better than Miami (wet and windy :eek:) also.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
KuzyIsNo1 said:
why are so many players not playing Indian Wells this year, only 7 of the top 15:

Davenport
Sharapova
Henin
Pierce
Dementieva
Myskina
Vaidisova

clijsters is injured and venus doesnt play IW but it seems a pretty poor turnout. i know miami is mandatory but usually most play both IW and miami. i look forward to this tournament cos its kinda like a slam but most of my faves aren't playing so its a bit of a let down

looks like henin's tournament-anyone know why so many players are staying away this year?
Because Miami is required, many of the women are concerned about getting injured and missing Miami. This is part of the ongoing tussle between IMG and Passarel in my opinion. IMG has invested heavily in Miami and wanted Passarel to have to sell Indian Wells, but Passarel has managed to cobble together enough finacing to continue and pay off his obligations to IMG.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
KuzyIsNo1 said:

Davenport
Sharapova
Henin
Pierce
Dementieva
Myskina
Vaidisova

Those top players are good enought for me. More chances for Elana to do well.
:bounce:

·
Poetic at Heart
3,503 Posts
...as long as Lindsay Davenport is among those playing ;) IW should be ok with the field it has.

·
Banned
649 Posts
I think in the future IW may be moved else where, well I hope so. I use to like IW before the incident, but now it just seem useless and the fields are so weak most players probably think it’s just a easy way of making lots of money if your not already famous. So in the end I think it will just become a Tournament for players ranked so low they need the money or who don’t have huge shoe contracts and just trying to make a living.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts