Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a whim (heh), I compiled a list of comments/official statements given at the end of coaching collaborations with Wim Fissette (excluding Kvitova and Errani who only had short trials with him).

I actually like him and thought he was doing a great job with Angie so this isn’t intended to be shady but there’s a common theme emerging…

Some statements like Angie's implied different ideas for the future. Most arrangements appeared to end amicably but the announcements were strictly professional and not worded in particularly glowing or warm terms like you’d see for some other coaches (except for Konta's). Although both Halep and Konta had nice things to say beyond what they included in the announcements, like remaining friends.

He’s a good coach with lots to offer but he does seem to burn through these coaching arrangements like Baghdatis and his racquets:

So, what do you think it is about his coaching style that might lead to these short-term collaborations? Is that even a bad thing? There are a few players who I'd like to see switch coaches...

Clijsters
Coaching period: 2009-2011

Kim Clijsters confirms on her website that she has split with coach Wim Fissette and will work with former coach Carl Maes. "Wim does not feel entirely in place in his current role in Kim's coaching team and wants to go his own way," a statement read […]

[…] Fisette said: "The arrival of Carl has given the team a new impetus, but for myself adapting to the new situation is harder than expected. Kim offered me take part in her brand new tennis academy, but I would still like to coach a top player first."

Source: Clijsters confirms split with coach Wim Fissette | TENNIS.com
Lisicki
Coaching Period: about 4 months in 2013

Google translated: "Wim and I had different concepts and decided to go our separate ways and thank you for your cooperation during this time," said Lisicki.

Source: Tennis: Lisicki trennt sich von ihrem Trainer - SPIEGEL ONLINE
Halep
Coaching period: less than a year in 2014

The world No.3 posted on her Facebook page: “My collaboration with Wim Fissette will come to an end, following a mutual agreement. It was a good and beautiful year. I want to thank him and wish him good luck in the future.”

Source: Simona Halep splits with coach Wim Fissette | Tennishead

It was a very good year, Wim helped me a lot, we had good results together. I wish him success, I want when we will meet at tournaments to be like before, to remain friends because I don’t have anything negative to say about him.
Source: https://www.si.com/tennis/2014/11/11/simona-halep-split-coach-wim-fissette
Azarenka
Coaching period: About 18 months between 2015-2016

The catalyst for Wim to leave was Vika’s pregnancy. Unclear if there were other issues in the lead up.

Source: https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/34831/victoria-azarenka-and-wim-fissette-part-ways/
Konta
Coaching period: 10 months in 2017
Wim Fissette’s side of the story: … 'We are kind of different and we see things a little different. It was a good match but not a perfect match.' They didn't have the same views and thoughts, which was one of the factors that made them end their partnership.

Source: https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Interviews/48783/wim-fissette-on-coaching-jo-konta-it-wasn-t-a-perfect-match-/
Kerber
Coaching period: end of 2017 to Oct 2018

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
My observation: He seems to be to quick to leave players when they dip a little after a peak and/or are not as ambitious as he'd like them to be.

Exhibit A-C: Konta - during/after her post Wimbledon SF slump; Halep - after she blew her chance of winning the YEC; Clijsters - after she lost interest after winning the AO 2011.

Kerber: I would like to hear more from her first, but her "mini slump" after winning Wimbledon seems to fit the pattern.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Yup all indications are this is strictly business.

Those trying to fish for personal drama (like certain Halep fans) will be disappointed cuz there isn't one.

·
Registered
82,861 Posts
I think he is to full of himself and forget to respect players wishes. He has his way and you have to accept it 100% or - not.

·
Registered
82,861 Posts
I don't know. If it was strictly business, would Kerber publish such a harsh, dare I say not really professional, statement?
:worship:..and if it was only " business" they can work this one more week together before finish it both sided in a friendly way..

·
Registered
82,861 Posts

·
Registered
19,303 Posts
personality clashes aren't exactly unheard of. At least Wim doesn't give them any false impressions or keeps them hanging if he feels the relationship isn't developing further.

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Re-post/quote from the other thread. I think this is spot on:

From the way things have transpired, it sounds like it's the other way around. [Fissette] was the one placing those demands on [Kerber]. In any case, their goals no longer aligned. And when the player is also the employer, he either has to respect/accept that or move on. This divergence of goals and unwillingness to adapt after a short period of time seems to be a pattern for him. Not to say that they should always agree with the player but it's not in the best interests of the player if they are working towards different things.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My observation: He seems to be to quick to leave players when they dip a little after a peak and/or are not as ambitious as he'd like them to be.

Exhibit A-C: Konta - during/after her post Wimbledon SF slump; Halep - after she blew her chance of winning the YEC; Clijsters - after she lost interest after winning the AO 2011.

Kerber: I would like to hear more from her first, but her "mini slump" after winning Wimbledon seems to fit the pattern.
That's an interesting observation. For Angie, the mini slump didn't happen in a vaccuum. They worked together on her serve (which improved until the USO swing) and a more aggressive style of tennis. Both elements of her game that were tweaked also contributed to her slump (as well as regular appearances from grumpy bear I think because she was frustrated things weren't coming together plus motivation issues).

I think from Cincy onwards, there were noticeable issues with her serve (lots of DFs) and her transitioning to a more aggressive style led to lots of UEs. The latter is very uncharacteristic as she often plays very consistently during matches with very few UEs.

If he was really looking at other opportunities due to this 'slump' in which he played an instrumental role, then that would be pretty shitty of him. Making adjustments is a process that takes time to hone and would expect to come with trade offs. Having said that, we don't know that is what happened.

·
🔴27-04-19 ⚫
13,540 Posts
Those trying to fish for personal drama (like certain Halep fans) will be disappointed cuz there isn't one.
Yeah... Wim told things like "Simona will change coach every year. She can't work with someone who is not Romanian. She has always her family with her". Blah blah blah, he was bitter as fuck. So no, probably no drama but he was clearly not happy about it.
At the end of the day, her family is not with her that much and Cahill is not romanian :shrug:

I don't know what his problem is but seeing so much player fire him is not a coincidence.

·
Registered
82,861 Posts
Yeah... Wim told things like "Simona will change coach every year. She can't work with someone who is not Romanian. She has always her family with her". Blah blah blah, he was bitter as fuck. So no, probably no drama but he was clearly not happy about it.
At the end of the day, her family is not with her that much and Cahill is not romanian :shrug:

I don't know what his problem is but seeing so much player fire him is not a coincidence.
Missed that. And a good coach has to accept player wishes and involve family....

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Yeah... Wim told things like "Simona will change coach every year. She can't work with someone who is not Romanian. She has always her family with her".
Halep had said the same things herself, so it was not something Fissette made up.

·
La nuit je mens
87,069 Posts
He's probably fed up with top players unable to actually play and show up weeks after weeks as top players.

·
🔴27-04-19 ⚫
13,540 Posts
Halep had said the same things herself, so it was not something Fissette made up.
No she didn't say that she needed her family with her like she didn't say she'll change coach every year.

I remember her saying, "I think I'll find a romanian coach because he will understand me better", right after parting ways with Wim so yes, clearly, they didn't match at all personality wise and she thought that only a romanian coach will match her personality which was ridiculous by the way. And obviously she was wrong, she loves Cahill like crazy.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No she didn't say that she needed her family with her like she didn't say she'll change coach every year.

I remember her saying, "I think I'll find a romanian coach because he will understand me better", right after parting ways with Wim so yes, clearly, they didn't match at all personality wise and she thought that only a romanian coach will match her personality which was ridiculous by the way. And obviously she was wrong, she loves Cahill like crazy.
Fissette: I didn't feel frustrations at the end. As a coach you receive contracts of six to 12 months. (At first, I had a contract through Roland Garros and then one that continued until after Singapore.) You never know what will happen when the contract finishes. So I just tried to give my very best until the end of my contract.

Simona made this decision because she feels more comfortable with only Romanians in her team. She is a girl who needs a lot of variation. That's why, for example, every tournament there were some family members to “entertain” her. Some weeks it was her mother, some weeks her brother, some weeks some family friends… so she would not be bored. She likes people around her and she also needs that.

I believe it will be difficult for her to work longer than one year with a coach because she needs that variation [in her life]. Other way of thinking, other way of working…
Source: Wim Fissette Exclusive: There Were No ?Frustrations? with Halep - Tennis Now

Halep herself said she wanted a Romanian coach. But then took on Cahill three years later.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts