Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dementieva won her first title this year and now has a 3rd. so, so far she has won 3 titles the year she won her first and i'm wondering what the record is.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
I do nto think that Serena's 4, US Open including in 1999 is even touchable. Well, Steffi or Monica must have won more..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Seles one her first title in 1989...and no more tht yr coz she played just 7-8 tournaments for the whole yr and next yr she won 10!! :)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
anshu19 said:
Seles one her first title in 1989...and no more tht yr coz she played just 7-8 tournaments for the whole yr and next yr she won 10!! :)
Serena is the only one of these to win a GS in the year of her first tournament though.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Knizzle said:
Serena won 5 that year.
4. The 5th is The Grand Slam Cup which is an exhibition, and so it doesn't count.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Dokic also won 3 in 2001.

·
63,615 Posts
Jelena won 3 titles in 2001 - Rome, Tokyo and Moscow. She reached final at Bahia, Zurich and Linz that year.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Knizzle said:
The WTA tour counts it.
WTA _lists_ it, but it didn't reward points for it, meaining it's a commercial exhibition just for money.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
ys said:
WTA _lists_ it, but it didn't reward points for it, meaining it's a commercial exhibition just for money.
It's still a WTA title. Venus' Olympic championship counted and it's not even a WTA title and no points were awarded.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Knizzle said:
It's still a WTA title. Venus' Olympic championship counted and it's not even a WTA title and no points were awarded.
Of course, because sports value of Olympics is unquestionable. Grand Slam Cup has no sports value, and it was played as exhibition, with most of matches being partly fixed ( i.e., for spectator's sake, we split two first sets and then play the third ). It was even more ridiculous in ATP. I remember Kafelnikov playing Ivanisevic, and the two were clearly fooling around. You can count it all you want.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Knizzle said:
No, Knizzle is right. Grand Slam Cup was counted as an official tournament. Furthermore, it's counted in the official head-to-head records. I think the men's grand slam cup also counted toward their tournament totals.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Anyway, to get back on topic, did Steffi have the record for most titles in one year after winning her first title in 1986 at the Family Circle Cup?

·
25,876 Posts
I can't imagine anyone beating Graf unless you go way back to the 70s. If Goolagong won her first event in 1970 she would beat Steffi-I think Evonne won something like 11 events in 1970.

Diane Fromholtz won 10 events in 1973, probably her first year.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Serena´s run wasn´t shabby either. Paris, IW, nearly won Lipton as well!!, Acura classic/ J.P.Morgan chase and of course u.s. open beating three former champions, including no.2 /defending champion and no.1 back to back to back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts