Tennis Forum banner

What is Swiatek's floor?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Art & Futures
26,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barty's floor was pretty high. After she started becoming a top player, she rarely got beaten easily. Ever since 2017, she always won at least 5 games in a match :eek: (unless retirement). She also has zero 1r GS losses since 2018.

Serena's floor was also pretty high during her dominant period, never losing a 1r in a GS until the Razzano match. She always won at least 5 games from 2000 Miami to 2004 Wimbledon, then After Los Angeles 2004 until losing to dementieva in 2009 Sydney, then again from there until losing to Muguruza 2014 at RG (although this third period had a few matches where she lost exactly 5 games).

So what is Swiatek's floor like? She is just coming off somewhat recently one of the longest win streaks on the tour. Though she hasn't played much since, she is still considered the dominant player on the tour. How much longer until she doesn't win at least 5 games in a match? Will she be able to still be somewhat dominant or a top player but get bagelled or breadsticked every now and then, or will that overdemoralize her?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Nobody knows the future, but Iga can improve a lot of things in her game, especially her serve. And I think she will eventually - for sure she's able to reach even higher level. I hope she doesn't hate grass and she will successfully fight against green beast. I think it's just better for the sport, to keep things more interesting. If she stays healthy and that wild hunger of winning won't decrease for some reason, she can achieve much more that she has already.

·
Registered
120,602 Posts
We will see. That streak and finishing it up with a major was historic, but she hasnt looked good mentally since, losing to Cornet and Garcia, in winnable matches
I want to see the Toronto draw, because most of the tour is a f*ckin mess also and Iga fits right in

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Iga's "floor" looks like a "ceiling " for many players. She is a great retriever of the ball and keeps it on the court. Has decent power, can hit winners and does not beat herself. Her defense is the foundation of her game.....and defense travels well against these error prone, erratic big hitters. It's a recipe for success.....not brain surgery folks. Of course she will have an off day....but not many. She and Ons look like #1 and #2 players to me....not much doubt there.

·
Art & Futures
26,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP - check out and edit 4th option unless you compare Iga to Iga.
I dont think I can edit poll option now? Hopefully people understand it’s rena :p

·
Registered
841 Posts
I can't vote on this because I think we should wait and see. I don't hate Iga, but I do think people are giving her too much too soon. Let's see how she performs as the world no. 1 beyond the three-month patch where she didn't lose. The streak was nice, but people are making it WAY more than it actually was.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I can't vote on this because I think we should wait and see. I don't hate Iga, but I do think people are giving her too much too soon. Let's see how she performs as the world no. 1 beyond the three-month patch where she didn't lose. The streak was nice, but people are making it WAY more than it actually was.
Yeah, it's not like it was the longest winning streak in the tour since 25 years.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Most of the other top players have problems dealing with any sort of variety, so I think Iga will be #1 comfortably for awhile. A lot of the very talented women who could theoretically challenge her are content being part-time, underachieving players.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts