Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of bounces does it give, and what sort of player does it reward?

I know players like Kim Clijsters, Lindsay Davenport, and even Anke Huber have been great indoor carpet players. Why have they done so well on this surface?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I heard that it plays VERY fast...like fastest of all surfaces, and I *think* it has a high bounce, really not sure on that one.....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Indoor carpet surfaces I have played on are like a softish surface covered in a fine layer of tiny rubber granules which make the surface of the court fluid, somewhat like a clay surface. If you took a vacuum cleaner onto the court and sucked up a patch of the granules, you'd find carpet underneath, but it's not like the carpet in your living room, it's more like a really dense and tightly woven mat. There are no bristles. Yes, you could potentially get carpet burn if there were no granules, but that would just be silly. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think tennis is ever played on a pure carpet surface.
In terms of play I would actually say it is more like clay than a hardcourt. Yes the bounce can be high, but I wouldn't say it is tremendously fast. It's been a while since I've played on it.
This is all entirely subjective feedback from the venue of one of the WTA's indoor tournaments.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Fast, high bounce.

Here's the break down.

Rebound Ace
Bounce: High
Speed: Medium
HardCourt
Bounce: Medium
Speed: Medium-fast
Grass
Bounce: Low
Speed: Fast
Clay
Bounce: Low
Speed: Slow
Carpet
Bounce: High
Speed: Fast

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not sure what all the talk about granules is referring to :confused:

The carpet is not like 'normal' house carpets at all LOL it is very felt-like, short pile carpet. Depending on what lies underneath the carpet the bounce can be low-medium-high, it can be altered to suit a tournament or clubs desire. The speed of the court is on the fast side but again can be altered. Any indoor court whether its hard, carpet or even clay will be pretty quick compared to an identical court outside.

I really like playing indoors and I really like carpet courts because of the distinctive acoustices you get!

I would also just say that clay courts are not low bouncing at all!! Perhaps backspin shots do stay lower due to the top sand but other shots are usually bouncing at shoulder height.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No wonder Kim does well - she gets a high bounce while having her power aided by the speed of the court.

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I play on carpet all the time in winter time.
It's a very reliable surface, you NEVER get fake or weird bounces, it's always indoor so you're not influenced by any distraction factors at all.
It's quite fast but not as fast as grass, and it's the surface that spin and slices have the least effect on. At least that's my experience on it.

I guess it would reward players with a fair amount of power who don't rely on finesse shots, spins and slices.
And players who are fast, and like high bounces, so maybe tall players too? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts