Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114,486 Posts
IDK the old matches. I remember that 2005 final in a packed Roland Garros. That was very entertaining.
The men have played Davis Cup matches that went 5 hours plus.
On that list, probably Kvitova/Kerber. But I have to say, anyone who watches a lot of Kerber has seen 20-30 matches that good. Kerber plays long grinding matches against everyone

Reactions: tucker1989

·
Registered
398 Posts
Provis - Graf 1993 6:4 1:6 6:1
That third set was shocking!

Off the list: Didn‘t see the Date match, so I had to vote for Angie (duh).

·
Registered
20,811 Posts
I picked Date vs Graf, Date was unbelievable the way she handled Graf in front of home fans with her own FH matching Fraulein FH at times.

Kerber and Kvitova was nice but I went for an uncommon blast from the past.

·
Registered
52,953 Posts
Martinez d Schnyder 9/7 in the third set ESP-SUI 98 final when the Swiss team was leading 2/1 . ASV/Martinez would then win the doubles to give Spain its 5th and last win IIRC

emotional votes for :
ASV/Conchi d MJF/Raymond
and Date/Graf
which I didn't see :awww:

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
I actually love almost all the matches from the recent five finals the Czech girls won, whether away in Russia & France or at home in the packed O2 Arena in Prague.

I'd probably pick one of the deciding doubles matches in the 2015 and 2016 finals (just for the stakes being so high) or the singles match Safarova-Jankovic from the 2012 final, where Lucie quite surprisingly demolished her opponent and got the decisive third point. Petra-Angelique was great, too.

Sorry about the older matches from the list, haven't seen them, but I remember an absolutely epic Davis Cup encounter between Becker and McEnroe from 1987.

The match lasted almost 7 hours and Becker prevailed 4-6, 15-13, 8-10, 6-2, 6-2. If this wasn't an incentive to introduce tiebreaks, then I don't know what was :lol:

·
Registered
39,537 Posts
Date-Graf for me, it remains an instant classic.

The match between Hingis and Novotna was really great, I watched it on youtube a while back.

People voting for Kvitova-Kerber is justified, too, but I really think there is only one true winner here..

·
Registered
141 Posts
All the matches Martina Navratilova played in Prague Czechoslovakia in 1986, the first time she was back in her country of birth since 1975.

The final was Czechoslovakia against USA full of emotions, the spectators were not against their own country but they were on Martina's side. Amazing that Martina won all her matches that week. At that time t they played with many countries in one week in one country.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Of the ones listed, the Kvitova-Kerber match. That was near the start of Kerber's stint as "I always contest the best matches every year", which I contend is part of why she has very little hate on the Forum.

Of other ones, 2001 World Group RR, Henin d. Martinez 6-3, 5-7, 7-5, on clay, in Madrid. Shotmakers dream. It was a fabulous match, and one that really signified the turning of the page away from the 90s clay courters to the 00s clay courters.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Graf vs Date was EPIC :worship:
Nothing else comes close.

Kimiko played an amazing match, and it really made you wonder what might've happened in that Wimbledon SF if the match wasn't postponed. Her level of play in those 6 games in a row that she won in that 2nd set was even better than it was in that FedCup match.

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
All the matches Martina Navratilova played in Prague Czechoslovakia in 1986, the first time she was back in her country of birth since 1975.

The final was Czechoslovakia against USA full of emotions, the spectators were not against their own country but they were on Martina's side. Amazing that Martina won all her matches that week. At that time they played with many countries in one week in one country.
In that final Hana Mandlikova was beaten by Martina in straight sets and for many years she wouldn't be able to swallow and understand why people cheered against her during the match :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts