Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's yet to win a singles match this year, even though she's done pretty well in doubles. Has anyone seen any of her matches? How is she looking? Has she just been unlucky?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Its sad seeing Arantxa's results these days..

Im all for players playing as long as they enjoy it, but you at least have to have respectable results to enjoy it dont you??

has she really not won one singles match this year??

I knew things were bad, but didnt know they were that bad..

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
She must have won some matches at Hopman cup mustn't she ?

Anyway the clay season has only just begun - I'm sure her fortunes will change then.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Arantxa still has the game to maintain her current ranking, but she doesn't seem to have the fire. If she doesn't find that fire soon, she'll be looking for wildcards. She hasn't seemed to be the same player for about a year and a half now, about since the engagement to Vehils.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I reckon Arantxa has had some tougher draws but at the same time she has lost a little spark.
I saw her beatPaola at the Hopman. Paols was always going to struggle as she hadn't really played for 5-6 months due to injuries. Paola was mentally not their and prob went into the match thihking she couldn't win, and didn't have enough weapons to beat her. The same when Arantxa beat Vavrinec, another injured baseliner coming back.
From their she has played big hitters, Molik, Seles & majoli.
I watched Majoli beat her at OZ Open, Arantxa just doesn't have the weapons to hurt someone hiting hard. She won points that Majoli lost with errors, and as I mentioned in another thread, it was a credit to Iva for being so mentally tough. Although Alicia is a serve voller, similar scenario to Majoli in so far that she was making the play.
The Slovakians, Husarova and Nagyova, who are both very good players, and Janette is having a great year, wins over teh spainiard surprize me the most, as neither hits the ball much harder than Aranxta. They are the type of players she would have beaten 2-3 years ago.
IN general, players hit the ball harder and are more consistant, so a retreaver like Arantxa will struggle more and more, and reputations are no where near as overwhelming as they used to be.
I am surprized she didn't play colombia last week, (discarding this week) clay is where she can get some wins under her belt
Having said all of that, Arantxa is a true champion, someone I have always enjoyed watching and has acheived so much in her career. Maybe she will turn things around.
So there's your 10c worth and more

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm correct in saying that she hasn't won an "official" singles match this year. Hopman cup doesn't really count.

It's just strange, because she's such a great competitor and fighter. I don't believe that she can't cope with the power hitters, after all she beat Steffi & Monica a few times in her hey day and she's still very fit.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
:sad:

·
63,713 Posts
I saw her match against Henrieta Nagyova at Sydney and Henrieta was in AWESOME form. Arantxa also in AWESOME form but Henrieta played so much better. So, I don't know what happened to her after the match... I have not seen her match against Iva Majoli at the Australian Open on TV.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Since the Rnd 2 RG loss last year Arantxa was not herself, in fact it was from then on that she started having inexplicable first round losses....

I personally feel that a combination of factors are hindering her today:

1) Her divorce, although last years news is most probably still fresh to her......they spent 7 years together

2) Her confidence after losing so many matches is bound to be low....its not a good time

3) Ydays loss to Husarova is a combination of Husarova being in form at the moment and Arantxa not feeling confident in singles

4) Age......it does playa part and we all know that

5) Todays game, with more aggressive and hard hitting tennis is making life more difficult for her!

If she brings up her confidence and just plays for her own personal satisfaction rather than focusing on her losses, then we'll see her back in form! It is just a lapse that should be rectified (I hope!!)

She is still a top 16 player........and as long as she is happy she should keep on playing!

Vamos Arantxa!!!!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arantxa still has the game to maintain her current ranking, but she doesn't seem to have the fire. If she doesn't find that fire soon, she'll be looking for wildcards. She hasn't seemed to be the same player for about a year and a half now, about since the engagement to Vehils.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Vamos Aranxta!!!!!!!!!!:p

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Good analysis, Deethelick.

I don't like to write off any player, especially someone of Aranxta's caliber, but you do have to question if her well has run dry. She's very close to 30, and she has been playing top-flight tennis for many years -- at least since 1987. Plus, she plays a game that is very mentally taxing, because it puts a premium on lasting one shot longer than your opponent. She reminds me very much of Mats Wilander; when he ran out of gas, he ran out of gas. And retired shortly thereafter.

Still, as long as Aranxta's happy playing the game and can live with the losses, then I say more power to her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, I don't think you lose your skill, and your ability to win all of a sudden. I think Arantxa needs to get rid of her brother as her coach and invest in someone else. I think her fans need to STAY behind her so that we can inspire her to get that flame back.

When she comes to Amelia Island, I will give her the same talk I gave her right before she beat Martina. And any fans who go to any of her matches need to encourage her, and that she has loyal fans. Her fans are the most important aspect in tennis to her. Also, I think she needs to get a permanent doubles partner, so she can take this doubles thing to it's highest level. Possibly Ai Sugiyama, or Lindsey when she comes back. But anywayz, Arantxa needs to be supported. And We Arantxa fans MUST HAVE FAITH!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
From what I saw of her matches earlier in the year, Arantxa was trying to hit the ball harder and attack the net. In the process, she makes many errors. Sometimes out of impatience - very uncharacteristic - and sometimes out of carelessness - mental lapses - both of which has something to do with age. She's a veteran now and has played patiently for so long that she probably wants to whack that damned ball out of the stadium sometimes. Attacking is not her usual game but I can see the benefits of why she'd want to do this, given that her opponents are hitting harder and that she'd probably like to conserve her energy a little more. But I think trying to employ a tactic that she's never really used before in competition so late in her career is hurting her a little. The other factor is - as already mentioned - facing opponents who are playing some hot tennis, or are too good for an early round encounter. I hope she doesn't lose heart and hangs in there. That's all she can really do if she has her heart set on making the plays rather than outcrafting her opponents like she used to.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Dee's analysis, except to add I think *by far* the thing that is hurting her most is "mental" -- do you have any idea how hurtful it is to *FAIL* at a marriage, especially if one is raised in a conservative and overwhelmingly Catholic atmosphere? The sting of that takes way more than a few months to get over -- WAY more!

I also agree that Arantxa is trying to transition her game -- and out of necessity! -- she simply can't play "her" game of "wait them out" against these new power hitters. And whenever one is transitioning a game, it takes a while -- quite a while -- to groove it out. Isn't that what is always said about serve-and-volleyers -- that it takes a LONG time to get good at that style of play?

And so lastly, I agree with Jason -- we fans also need to not get discouraged and to give her all the support we can muster and I really truly believe we shall see at least a few more glorious matches from Arantxa before she packs it in (which will probably after the 2004 Olympics).

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Y'know, I'm not that convinced that Aranxta has gotten more aggressive. I think she always had an attacking style of play. She never went for too much on her shots, but she did go for the lines, come to net when possible.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Arantxa is always labelled as a counter-puncher....which is true....she just runs down loadsa balls....what people forget is that she was a world number 1, so there is more to her than just being a counter puncher...

She has an excellent transition game from baseline to net which is great to watch.....it is so effortless! The only other person who has a great transition game at the moemnt is Hingis

Also she does play aggressively, she places her shots well, hits extremely well on the run, uses spins well....so her game had its attacking side.....its just that she hustled really well!

Mentality as Marsha said is the key at the moment, she just needs to hold it together....she has taken leads in most of her matches but just lost her way a bit...

Also, in her match with seles at the Hopman Cup for a certain amount of time she was matching seles shot for shot (in terms of power)! Obviously that is a change and takes time to adjust to...

In some ways, her game was much better than either Graf or Seles (the other 2 dominant ones at that time) as she was good at the baseline and at the net....

She has got a great all-round game and switches between roles exceptionally well, she just needs to keep up with todays game and hold her mind together!

Vamos Arantxa :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with Marsha, Mentally she is not herself. I also think that she is starting to lose that never give up spirit, last year, she would win those three set matches, because of the never give up aspect of Arantxa.

I do disagree on one point though, I think she plays her best tennis against power players, She has good records against the Williams, Davenport, and Capriati. She has not so good records against the "Counter-Punchers". ie.Hingis, Kim, etc.

We as fans have the responsibility of sending her letters, and stuff to show that we support her at her tournaments. ;)

Lastly, I also agree with Marsha (again), I truly think that we will see a few more truly remarkable matches from Arantxa before she retires.

Vamos Arantxa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts