Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously its to be the best they can be.

My Case in point.
Before my brother's death (car accident) I was a rave kid. All I did was partied and did drugs, etc. After his death. I went to school, completed, and lived his spirit. Today, I can always tap into his spirit and get focused.

But what else do you think Yetunde's absence will stirr in the sisters? (positive comments only..please).

· Registered
8,951 Posts
My brother was murdered in Minnesota, in almost the exact manner as Yetunde. It was devastating. You never know how people will come out of a griefing situation, but one things for sure they will be forever changed.

· Registered
287 Posts
It is a horrible thing to lose someone very close to you. You are forever changed. This will be a hard time for all of the Williams family. My prayers are with them at this time of mourning.

· Registered
8,803 Posts
the end result is Life continue to evolve, life continue to roll. Life is for the Living and when you're gone..that's It. I am sure Yetunde would want her sisters to continue to "roll" and persue their hopes and dreams, and Not just Venus and Serena.

Monica Seles, Pete Sampras and other's suffered tuff losses in their career...you heal, you grow, you continue to live, but you never have to forget and that's why God has given us our precious memories to hold on to. For some it Drives them, for others it emotionally changes their focus, we'll have to see. But time will ease the pain, it will never go away.

The sisters have always been an advocate for family and things bigger than tennis...and will be MORESO now.

God Bless the Family! :angel:

· Registered
26,637 Posts
I won't pretend to know what Yetunde would have wanted, but state (as perhaps we're all limited to here) my own hopes. Tennis-wise the W/S are liked (or not) as players, not as "black players". Off the court, that they can use the tragedy not to merely offer "a way out of the ghetto", but help consign the existence of the ghetto to "the dustbin of history". (And I used the word "help" because no 2 people can do this alone).

· Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one thing I know. One of them (Venus or Serena) will focused like Never before. Tragedies can make or break us. They are always sad regardless of the incident - accidental or deliberate.

Yet. Through proper berievement counseling healing is possible and an abundant life unfolds.

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Ballbuster said:
This one thing I know. One of them (Venus or Serena) will focused like Never before. Tragedies can make or break us. They are always sad regardless of the incident - accidental or deliberate.

Yet. Through proper berievement counseling healing is possible and an abundant life unfolds.
I was thinking Venus would go on a tear in Yetunde's memory. Does anyone know how Jehovah's witnesses deal with death?? That could give us an idea how they will go on with their lives.

· Banned
1,632 Posts
Knizzle said:
I kind of thought about what it would be like if they came back and dedicated their careers to Yetunde's memory. I think it would help them focus to be the best they can be on and off the court.
That what I was thinkin yesterday that Queen Vee and Miss Rena will play the rest of their career in her memory.

· Registered
6,631 Posts
i doubt its a message to venus or serena to play more tennis, and get it in as much as they can, cuz life is too short. but i think venus and serena take this as a message, towards, family is and always will be the number 1 obligation. and that life itself cannot take away the love and honour you have grown to develope for your family. this is a tryin time for the williamses, we just need to keep them in their prayers. i don't beleive in the "what would so and so want now that they are gone" cuz if they were close enough, they would already know what Yetunde would expect of both venus and serena, and not just these two, but her other sisters, her mother, and the rest of her family. its a sad and trying time. and i have no problem saying, this is not about venus and serena's sister. its about the family of Williams/Price, going through a very very hard time. We just need to really keep them in prayer, and wait for decision they make towards their schdedule and also towads their life.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Devastating & Tragic News - RIP Yetunde

Hey Ya'll,

When talking to my friend on yesterday - I told him that Yetunde would want Venus & Serena to retire from the courts on their own terms - and not because of her unforunate and senseless demise. I still believe it to a certain extent - but now I am not so sure. Like the article below infers - this may be their way out. She would have wanted them to go on - but they may feel they are unable to.

Although - they might just need some time.

If they don't retire before too long - then I now feel that they will retire before too long. Does that make sense? I don't think so - but I can't make any sense out of this horiffic crime.

My prayers go out to the Williams and Price family. It is almost like I lost a family member - and I cried at the news.

Here's hoping God gives the family the strength to move on. It'll be hard to forget the circumstances wherein they lost her - but move on none-the-less. May God bless them all.

R.I.P - Yetunde.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3110564.stm

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Just Sad

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=443859

Shooting tragedy leaves Williams sisters' careers in doubt
By John Roberts
16 September 2003

Venus Williams slumped in the players' tunnel during an hour-long rain delay at Wimbledon last July, tearful and distressed, nursing damaged muscles in her abdomen. She had lost the opening set of her semi-final against the Belgian Kim Clijsters, and wanted to quit the match.

The 23-year-old American was being comforted by her mother, Oracene, and her four sisters, Serena, Yetunde, Lyndrea and Isha. Oracene and Yetunde, 31, the eldest of the sisters, did not want Venus to regret giving up the chance of appearing in a fourth consecutive Wimbledon singles final. So they coaxed her to go back on the Centre Court.

Venus overcame Clijsters in three sets and went on to lose to Serena, the youngest sister, in the final. While this was not the ideal way for Venus to end the championships, she had done her best, and the event was yet another triumph for the family, perhaps their last joyful moment for some time to come.

Yetunde was shot dead on Sunday in Compton, a notorious southern suburb of Los Angeles, where the family used to live and where Venus and Serena started to play tennis on the park courts.

At the time of the murder, Venus was in New York and Serena was in Toronto, each pursuing their interests outside tennis. As soon as they heard the tragic news they went to Los Angeles to mourn.

Venus and Serena, who share a house in Florida, do not have the same father as their three older sisters, and have been elevated by talent and hard work into a life of fame and riches. Oracene and Richard Williams have divorced, but Venus and Serena have remained as close as possible to their parents and their sisters.

"They don't regard themselves as half-sisters, they regard themselves as sisters," said Raymone Bain, a publicist for Serena. "The five girls are each others' best friends."

Yetunde, a registered nurse, had a beauty shop in Los Angeles. She also acted as a personal assistant to Venus and Serena, booking flights, arranging hotels, making reservations for their visits to restaurants, the theatre and the cinema; generally helping to smooth the way when they were on the tour.

In a poignant article in the 15 September edition of People magazine, Yetunde said she no longer has to give her famous younger sisters life lessons. "Maybe three or four years ago I'd remind them to stay grounded, but not now," she said. "They've both got good heads on their shoulders."

Grief and trauma has halted the round of flights to tournaments, and the tennis community is left wondering when the brilliant Williams girls, who dominated the women's game with the power of their strokes and the strength of their will, are likely to play again.

Injuries prevented Venus and Serena from competing at the United States Open, which they had dominated for the previous four years. But the wound inflicted by Yetunde's death is deeper.

The tournament calendar is now but a scrap of paper showing that Venus is scheduled to play in Moscow at the end of this month and in Filderstadt, Germany, on 6 October; that Serena is down to play in Linz on 20 October; and that both sisters are booked for Philadelphia on 27 October and for the WTA Tour Championships in Los Angeles on 3 November.

At a media conference in New York during the US Open, Venus and Serena deflected speculation that they were losing interest in tennis and wanted to expand their creative flair, saying they expected to be playing for another10 years.

Nonetheless, Serena was filming in Toronto when news of Yetunde's death came, and she has appeared as often on the front pages attending celebrity events as she has on the back pages winning tournaments this year.

"I'm an actress, I'm a model and an athlete. I put athlete third on my list," Serena said in April.

Venus is studying for a degree in interior design and also designs a line of women's clothing. Her father dropped hints in the past that he expects Venus to leave tennis within a few years, though that might have been a motivational ploy. He keeps saying that he is working on his autobiography, Method in My Madness.

The two Belgians, Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, contested the women's singles final at the French Open and Henin defeated her compatriot again in the US Open final in the absence of the Williams sisters. Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne are No 1 and No 2 in the world respectively.

After losing to Henin-Hardenne in front of a baying crowd at the French Open, Serena was later in tears in the interview room. "Story of my life," she sobbed. "All my life I've had to fight. I've got to be a little stronger next time."

When, and if, Venus and Serena do resume their astonishing careers, the world of tennis will expect them to be stronger still, and to be welcomed back with a groundswell of support that has often been denied them in the past.

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
GogoGirl said:
http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/story.jsp?story=443859

Shooting tragedy leaves Williams sisters' careers in doubt
By John Roberts
16 September 2003

Venus Williams slumped in the players' tunnel during an hour-long rain delay at Wimbledon last July, tearful and distressed, nursing damaged muscles in her abdomen. She had lost the opening set of her semi-final against the Belgian Kim Clijsters, and wanted to quit the match.

The 23-year-old American was being comforted by her mother, Oracene, and her four sisters, Serena, Yetunde, Lyndrea and Isha. Oracene and Yetunde, 31, the eldest of the sisters, did not want Venus to regret giving up the chance of appearing in a fourth consecutive Wimbledon singles final. So they coaxed her to go back on the Centre Court.

Venus overcame Clijsters in three sets and went on to lose to Serena, the youngest sister, in the final. While this was not the ideal way for Venus to end the championships, she had done her best, and the event was yet another triumph for the family, perhaps their last joyful moment for some time to come.

Yetunde was shot dead on Sunday in Compton, a notorious southern suburb of Los Angeles, where the family used to live and where Venus and Serena started to play tennis on the park courts.

At the time of the murder, Venus was in New York and Serena was in Toronto, each pursuing their interests outside tennis. As soon as they heard the tragic news they went to Los Angeles to mourn.

Venus and Serena, who share a house in Florida, do not have the same father as their three older sisters, and have been elevated by talent and hard work into a life of fame and riches. Oracene and Richard Williams have divorced, but Venus and Serena have remained as close as possible to their parents and their sisters.

"They don't regard themselves as half-sisters, they regard themselves as sisters," said Raymone Bain, a publicist for Serena. "The five girls are each others' best friends."

Yetunde, a registered nurse, had a beauty shop in Los Angeles. She also acted as a personal assistant to Venus and Serena, booking flights, arranging hotels, making reservations for their visits to restaurants, the theatre and the cinema; generally helping to smooth the way when they were on the tour.

In a poignant article in the 15 September edition of People magazine, Yetunde said she no longer has to give her famous younger sisters life lessons. "Maybe three or four years ago I'd remind them to stay grounded, but not now," she said. "They've both got good heads on their shoulders."

Grief and trauma has halted the round of flights to tournaments, and the tennis community is left wondering when the brilliant Williams girls, who dominated the women's game with the power of their strokes and the strength of their will, are likely to play again.

Injuries prevented Venus and Serena from competing at the United States Open, which they had dominated for the previous four years. But the wound inflicted by Yetunde's death is deeper.

The tournament calendar is now but a scrap of paper showing that Venus is scheduled to play in Moscow at the end of this month and in Filderstadt, Germany, on 6 October; that Serena is down to play in Linz on 20 October; and that both sisters are booked for Philadelphia on 27 October and for the WTA Tour Championships in Los Angeles on 3 November.

At a media conference in New York during the US Open, Venus and Serena deflected speculation that they were losing interest in tennis and wanted to expand their creative flair, saying they expected to be playing for another10 years.

Nonetheless, Serena was filming in Toronto when news of Yetunde's death came, and she has appeared as often on the front pages attending celebrity events as she has on the back pages winning tournaments this year.

"I'm an actress, I'm a model and an athlete. I put athlete third on my list," Serena said in April.

Venus is studying for a degree in interior design and also designs a line of women's clothing. Her father dropped hints in the past that he expects Venus to leave tennis within a few years, though that might have been a motivational ploy. He keeps saying that he is working on his autobiography, Method in My Madness.

The two Belgians, Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, contested the women's singles final at the French Open and Henin defeated her compatriot again in the US Open final in the absence of the Williams sisters. Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne are No 1 and No 2 in the world respectively.

After losing to Henin-Hardenne in front of a baying crowd at the French Open, Serena was later in tears in the interview room. "Story of my life," she sobbed. "All my life I've had to fight. I've got to be a little stronger next time."

When, and if, Venus and Serena do resume their astonishing careers, the world of tennis will expect them to be stronger still, and to be welcomed back with a groundswell of support that has often been denied them in the past.
What a piece of speculative and unfounded junk. Chalk one up for crappy journalism ... :rolleyes: :eek: :fiery: :tape:

· Registered
12,908 Posts
It would be great if they continued and dedicated a Grand Slam win to Yetunde. It would make her proud. I am sure she would want her family to keep going on as they were before and being successful in all their endeavours.
The article posted is so crap, there is not even one quote from the sisters to support the headline :mad:
Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i don't think ti would be fair to the other sister if one of them beat the other in a grand slam, won the slam and then dedicated it to Yetunde.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
it's like saying the one that wins cared about Yetunde more. even though it isn't true plus the sister that didn't win may feel so badly for not winning (because she dedicated it to Yetunde) that she may have a major life crisis. i know it sounds silly to us but when you are wrapped up in situation like this things aren't always logical for the people in that situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.