Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious to see if she won RG how the
sports writers, critics, wta fans would react to this?

Will it just be considered a fluke? One slam
wonder? the turning point in and the end of players
from the pre Hingis era, mainly players like Jen, Monica,
Chanda? Ld? The decline of the Williams era? the
entrance of the new power country of tennis- Russia?,
not an end to the Williams era because she ended up
beating the Belgians? the peak of the Belgians?

Can you (Belgium/ Williams fans) respect this win and
accept it?

What about the neutrals? How do you feel?

Any comments?

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
In that case, she would lift the trophy.

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
I see three scenarios from this point (as the tennis press always loves to compare to past parallels):

If she loses tomorrow they'll call her this years Clarissa Fernandez (2002).

If she plays Serena in the final it could be the new Natalia Zvereva (1988).

If she wins the whole thing it'll be hello Iva Majoli (1997).

But whatever happens, its pointless to start making sweeping statements based on two weeks of tennis.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I would respect Petrova's win because she would have had to beat two top-4 players to win it.

Tennis writers would probably say how the French Open was a crazy tournament full of upsets, none bigger than the one Petrova pulled off on Saturday, beating world no. 1/4 SW/JHH on Court Philippe Chatrier.

They will say how this may be the opening salvo fired in Russia's conquest against the United States' dominance of the women's tennis game.

There will be a brief mention of Vera's win over Venus, touting of other promising Russians and, of course, a mean dig at Anna K.

And you'll probably also get those sour grapes articles saying how Serena beat herself with poor serves and unforced errors.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
JonBcn said:
But whatever happens, its pointless to start making sweeping statements based on two weeks of tennis.
sports writers love hyperbole. It's their job.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
People would rave on about how she is the first Russian women to win a slam, thats what she would be remembered for, as there are so many Russians, and its hard to believe not one of them has won a slam ever!

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she'll get more respect than Clarissa
did. For one people viewed her wins over
Monica, and Jen. Clarissa if you recall only
got in the main draw because Hingis withdrew.
She went on to beat Kim, Dementieva,
Paola Suarez, and loss to Venus in the semi's.

The entire RG 2nd week hype was the sister/sister
final in 2002. Pam and Mary Jo sure weren't
talking about her last year.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Also Clarissa got lucky...

Kim played shit.
Give Elena a chance to do something big like get to the QF's of a slam and she was bound to choke.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think this topic is pointless. People
who aren't Williams fans or foaming at the mouth
for Belgians need something to discuss to get
their interests up for the finals. lol.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
cynicole said:
And you'll probably also get those sour grapes articles saying how Serena beat herself with poor serves and unforced errors.
You know it is one thing that I have to read paranoid crap by some of the Williams fans, but it's another when I have to read the same junk by the non fans too.

Have you been paying attention cynicole to the game of tennis? If the rest of the world knows that Serena is a dominating force on court, why can't you accept the fact that when Serena loses, it's because she dictates it?

It's not sour grapes cynicole........it's just hard facts that you are just gonna have to deal with as long as Serena is playing tennis.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
I would congratulate her and know she deserves to hold the trophy and be named RG 2003 champion.

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
If she won the whole thing, she would be the biggest surprise GS champ pretty much in the history of tennis.

·
Mean Admin Machine, Admeanistrator
36,597 Posts
She'd deserve it of course, but i don't really like surprise winners for slams. Even if i know this could be the start for a nice carreer for her, i'd rather see her win one later or so, if she has proven to be a consistent contender.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
if she wins...she'll get the trophy and prize money.;)

·
Premium Member
181,837 Posts
She would deserve it no doubt :) :)

plus I'll be over the moon :bounce: :D :D
it would be awesome :)

Reactions: joie

·
Registered
377 Posts
One of the Eurosport commentators (Simon Reed) went out and placed a bet on her to win the tournament after she beat Monica in the 1st round. Guess what the odds were: 150/1 :eek: seems like a decent bet.

If anyone has seen Nadia play they have to be impressed, her win over Jen was very impressive (the won over Monica less so since Seles is nowhere near match fit or confident in her foot). Nadia has got game - MASSIVE groundies, big serve and seemingly (so far) good mental toughness. I believe she is destined for the top 10 and that this is the start a very good career. i.e. she is no Fernandez!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If Nadia Petrova wins Roland Garros:

- She will be a celebrated hero back in Russia.

- There will be a huge boom in Russian tennis.

- She will go on to have the best year of her life.

- She will decline and retire due to a lack of motivation and mounting injuries.

- There will be an Apocalypse of epic proportions (hey, it happened when Lleyton won the US Open). ;)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
A sensible man would note that she had just beaten 3/4 of the top 4 players and her game looks as if Clay might not be her only or even her best surface. He would put a bet on her for Wimbledon.

The british tabloid writers will come up with awful puns for headlines - "Williams era ova"," Nadia bowls Justine ova" "ova to you" etc

John Parsons will give her a paragraph after his editor tells him who won the womens final as he rested before covering the final the next day.

"Ace" magazine will have a report of the final in a one page report on the French Open after their 7 page spread on "favourite beaches of the tennis stars" , the 4 pages on "Wimbledon ball-gowns the history" and the 5 pages on (Black or white, which colour does Anna look best in?"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts