Tennis Forum banner

What will be the next Grand Slam?

• Total voters
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Remember when we juggled the idea of the USO moving to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden...

Could work in the fall who knows.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Trump talked to a lor of US sports commossioners. Not from tennis, but from US sports like NFL.
Baseball is going to try to start in May. UFC has a big card for April 18
I expect the next major is Paris in late September. Then a US Open not in NYC, IW or Miami, or maybe at the USTA center in Florida
This is the cofeature on April 18. Ferguson is in the main event
UFC are deluded if they think that they can hold their event in ten days' time. Which is more important to them - money from ticket sales and TV revenue, or potentially seeing a huge proportion of their spectators get infected (or reinfected) with Covid-19? And that's even assuming that the authorities wherever the event is being held will allow it to happen in the first place - with or without spectators.

Don't worry - I know that money is far more important. :poop:

As for the rest of it - Trump STILL can't figure out that the USA has not yet reached the peak of infections. When the number of cases starts to consistently go down, then MAYBE you can look at a possible timetable for resuming some activities - but it sure as hell isn't the next day!

·
Registered
178 Posts
UFC are deluded if they think that they can hold their event in ten days' time. Which is more important to them - money from ticket sales and TV revenue, or potentially seeing a huge proportion of their spectators get infected (or reinfected) with Covid-19? And that's even assuming that the authorities wherever the event is being held will allow it to happen in the first place - with or without spectators.
UFC249 is supposed to be held on a private island with fighters tested and no spectators. I think it's more secure if they put all arriving personnel in quarantine for 14 days prior to the event, but wonder if they would do it.
Some off-topic remarks: I appreciate stand-up styles of martial arts but not ground-fighting. Lying/kneeing/struggling on the floor with limbs entangled and trying to gain superior positions to force submission just repel me. Clean striking fights such as kick/boxing and muay thai are far preferable. Doubt I'll be able to enjoy UFC even during this bleak time.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
UFC249 is supposed to be held on a private island with fighters tested and no spectators. I think it's more secure if they put all arriving personnel in quarantine for 14 days prior to the event, but wonder if they would do it.
I can't stand that sort of thing, so I wouldn't watch it anyway. I think your idea of quarantine is fine, but they would have to be locked down already and I doubt that that's happened.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

Don't worry - I know that money is far more important. :poop:

As for the rest of it - Trump STILL can't figure out that the USA has not yet reached the peak of infections. When the number of cases starts to consistently go down, then MAYBE you can look at a possible timetable for resuming some activities - but it sure as hell isn't the next day!
what do you expect from UFC, when you have the former host of THE APPRENTICE, running the USA, the UFC look almost capable, ALMOST.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
2021 US Open if we're lucky:

Zeke Emanuel, a bioethicist and professor of healthcare management from Chicago, revealed that people shouldn’t expect concerts to resume until late into 2021. Speaking at a New York Times roundtable, he questioned why promoters were trying to reschedule events for later in 2020.

He explained: ‘Larger gatherings – conferences, concerts, sporting events – when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. ‘I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.’

·
Registered
53,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)

I still have doubts that the US Open will take place this year. We will see ...

In my opinion they should play the US Open this year at Indian Wells, if New York is not possible.
Indian Wells is the perfect place in Coronavirus time: A lot of room (desert, small city, tennis complex outside) and many (also big) courts. The easiest to play there from all places in USA and also the safest because the safety distance can be adhered the easiest there. And beautiful majestic scenery too. Overall Indian Wells is the best possible replacement for New York.

·
Registered
21,932 Posts

I still have doubts that the US Open will take place this year. We will see ...

In my opinion they should play the US Open this year at Indian Wells, if New York is not possible.
Indian Wells is the perfect place in Coronavirus time: A lot of room (desert, small city, tennis complex outside) and many (also big) courts. The easiest to play there from all places in USA and also the safest because the safety distance can be adhered the easiest there. And beautiful majestic scenery too. Overall Indian Wells is the best possible replacement for New York.
Or you can just cancel it like Wimbledon. Also, lol at citing Wertheim as a credible source.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts