21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I do think sports will come back. If they are willing to have small crowds, I expect French Open and US Open to play, late in the year
In the US, overall deaths have gone down, because bars and restaurants are closed. So fewer drunk drivers, fewer late night fights

The guy deleted that tweet. It said
@ sidsanghi
Weekly deaths in the US down by 7,000 - 10,000 for the week ending March 7 2020! Silver lining with people changing their behaviors during COVID-19? Raw weekly death numbers taken from @CDCgov:

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tennis with crowds will be the last thing in the world to happen. The only way a Grand Slam is played this year is if

1. An effective medicine appears and the virus stops being a threat to the health system across the world, then travel bans are lifted.
2. Tournaments accept to be played behind close doors or with fewer people in the stands. Social distancing is here to stay long term and massive events are the last thing to be restored back to normal.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bye Wimbledon 2020 :(

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Australian open 2021 i think

it is very sad though, yes i haven't posted in a while here, but i was just checking up on this forum some more now

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'm now having doubts about AO 2021.

We're so far away from a vaccine even being developed, let alone being tested on humans and then actually being delivered.

We don't even have any way of treating this disease yet.

People aren't going to want to attend crowded events - if it's even legal to do so - and people are losing money and they won't be spending it on tennis.

Players can't even train either.

I honestly don't even want to imagine when we'll see tennis again.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If the FO, possible in the middle of the worst phase of the outbreak, has already decided to set the date for late September 2020, then that should be the date all tournaments will start to return to normal, I couldn´t imagine french open being played in september but AO and next tournaments are cancelled and the french made a cautious and definitive decision probably consulting french scientists when the virus had already showed how bad it could be, so they can´t be making up dates and then changing again and I just heard a conversation with Tracy Austin in which she said tennis could start to return after july

·
Registered
997 Posts
the honest answer is, NO ONE HAS A BLOODY CLUE.

i suppose the french open could be played later this year, but i think that would be the only one this year if a slam goes ahead.

living here in oz, i think the 2021 aust. open is most likely the next one to take place.
assuming travel is possible and allowed and people are out of lockdown, i think it will go ahead.

it will be interesting to see whether the 2021 tennis schedule is altered to account for the virus, by pushing the aust open back, to say march 2021, and other events pushed back accordingly so it gets played.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
I'm now having doubts about AO 2021.

We're so far away from a vaccine even being developed, let alone being tested on humans and then actually being delivered.

We don't even have any way of treating this disease yet.

People aren't going to want to attend crowded events - if it's even legal to do so - and people are losing money and they won't be spending it on tennis.

Players can't even train either.

I honestly don't even want to imagine when we'll see tennis again.
Yeah.

In my mind I have pretty much written off all of 2020 already. If we get any tennis at all this year it will feel like an unexpected bonus. But, to be truthful, I am still clinging to the hope that the Australian Open happens next year. I really hope it does. Still.... gradually, like you, it is becoming clear that even that is not something we can be sure about.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
Yeah.

In my mind I have pretty much written off all of 2020 already. If we get any tennis at all this year it will feel like an unexpected bonus. But, to be truthful, I am still clinging to the hope that the Australian Open happens next year. I really hope it does. Still.... gradually, like you, it is becoming clear that even that is not something we can be sure about.

Just a few weeks ago I was an optimist here but not any longer - when covid-9 has already spread to multiple countries in a serious way. It seems that the earliest tennis we can get will be this autumn but even that seems like a stretch.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,170 Posts
I almost feel at this point, it may just be best from a logistical standpoint for the American events to take October and November (in California for warm weather - looking at you Stanford [come back!], San Jose, Carlsbad, etc.) and have the US Open be played in November at Indian Wells or another location. It'll give the opportunity for clay warmups for the French too.

The virus is slowing down thanks to the works of all the governments. I'm beginning to feel optimistic. At a minimum, there could be no crowds.

But there are warnings it will return in the Fall so 2020 may be null and void.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
Trump talked to a lor of US sports commossioners. Not from tennis, but from US sports like NFL.
Baseball is going to try to start in May. UFC has a big card for April 18
I expect the next major is Paris in late September. Then a US Open not in NYC, IW or Miami, or maybe at the USTA center in Florida
This is the cofeature on April 18. Ferguson is in the main event

21 - 40 of 45 Posts