US Open 2021

Aus Open 2022

Guess! :p

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I expect that the 2020 WTA season will be cancelled :(
The Coronavirus is very dangerous and the situation serious and scary ...
Italy (already), Spain, GB and USA should be hit the hardest by the Coronavirus.

I think in 2021 the WTA Tour will continue.
But not sure if it will be possible to begin in Australia.

I heard the cure against Coronavirus will only be there in 2021 (earliest spring, but rather later).
So ... Until then the tournaments will be played without crowd I guess (if they will be played at all).

IMO they should play the next possible Grand Slam without crowd.
The Grand Slams are the most important tournaments and too important to cancel (many in a row).
I hope it will be possible to play Aus Open 2021, but who knows ...

We fans need some tennis, and the players need tennis and money too.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I expect the French to be right after the US Open. I'll guess Wimbledon will be right before
So 3 in about 9 weeks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Are there already online bets for this??
I suspect, either all slams will be played (delayed) in 2020 or next will be AO2021, I doubt FO or any of the others will get a date in the last months of the year in detriment of the other slams, that could even cause diplomatic war between France UK and USA all fighting for their slams in the last months, lool.

·
🐟🐟
4,411 Posts
In order to organize a Slam, one needs to transfer around a thousand people (ATP+WTA+Juniors, players, team members, referees etc.) from 50+ different countries to one place.
  • The virus must be under control (whatever that means) in the country where the tournament takes place.
  • All those people need travel options between A and B where one country allows them to leave and another allows them to enter. Residents of the most affected countries won't be welcomed anywhere.
  • Many of them would likely be put under a 14-day quarantine after arrival. One can be sure that a country that got rid of the virus will be extremely careful not to bring it back.
Unless tennis authorities are ready to play with a limited group of players and a bunch of forced withdrawals, big joint events will be impossible to organize for quite some time.

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In order to organize a Slam, one needs to transfer around a thousand people (ATP+WTA+Juniors, players, team members, referees etc.) from 50+ different countries to one place.
  • The virus must be under control (whatever that means) in the country where the tournament takes place.
  • All those people need travel options between A and B where one country allows them to leave and another allows them to enter. Residents of the most affected countries won't be welcomed anywhere.
  • Many of them would likely be put under a 14-day quarantine after arrival. One can be sure that a country that got rid of the virus will be extremely careful not to bring it back.
Unless tennis authorities are ready to play with a limited group of players and a bunch of forced withdrawals, big joint events will be impossible to organize for quite some time.
In other words no chance for Grand Slams in rest of 2020.
As many of us thought already. And even 2021 could be in danger.
Because we are only at the beginning, have no cure against the Virus and it will only get worse.

But they could play the Slams only SINGLES and NO crowd and NO family/coaches/teams.
NO doubles
NO mixed
NO juniors

Only singles at the Slams and only the players! (y)
And they could also cancel the Quali and only play main draw.
That would reduce it a lot and make it a lot easier for the Grand Slam tournaments.

Singles is the most important competition and should be the priority.
Also the legends Serena, Djokovic, Federer etc. do not get younger and won´t play forever.
WTA/ATP have no time to waste. They need the stars. And want to milk them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The ones saying USO are out of their minds. The US is collapsing and there will be millions of dead before it's over. There are at least five spots each of which is one Italy.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
Unless something really tragic happens, I expect sports by late summer. Might not have crowds, but tv networks will gladly have major events with no crowds.
So it will be up to the ITF bodies, separate for each major, to decide if its worth it.
They have to test all the ball kids, umpires, officials, make sure players and their teams can get there and test them.
It will be a lot more effort than 2 ten player NBA teams playing each other.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
The ones saying USO are out of their minds. The US is collapsing and there will be millions of dead before it's over. There are at least five spots each of which is one Italy.
This. US Open are even less likely to be played than Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I think the USO.
New York is the worst hit major city in the world right now, they just added 8000 cases overnight and are sitting at 23000. This number could easily exceed 50000 before the end of the week given the high density of the population and the fact that so many New Yorkers are still out and about in crowded spaces.

This is beyond containment, at this point the OPs question solely hinges on: when will they find a reliable cure? And when will they produce a vaccine?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Where is this happening?
Everywhere in the city.

Well, I managed to escape New York about a week and a half ago, and while I was there (I live UWS), it really struck me how little people were taking it seriously. Everyone was still moving about! I know New Yorkers are stubborn and like to act in defiance but I found it truly astounding. Sure, a lot must have changed since then, but some friends in the city tell me little has changed.

I think the USO could still happen (5 months is a long time away!!!) but wouldn't be shocked if it didn't take place. So I think FO in September will be next Slam.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts