Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
- Gauff breaking through at Wimbledon receiving the most amount of newcomer press coverage since the Dokic / Kournikova days.

- Andreescu winning the USO having been a virtually unknown player 12 months prior

- Serena reaching 2 consecutive slam finals, at this stage in her career and playing a limited schedule is truly remarkable

On a lower level:

- Riske’s amazing grass court season winning Hertogenbosch & reaching Wimbledon quarterfinal
- Gauff winning her maiden WTA title at 15 years of age
- Ostapenko’s mini resurgence during the end part of indoors fall season

·
Registered
363 Posts
Let's hear it for the youngsters! It's a toss-up between:

Iga Swiatek's absolute destruction of Kristyna Pliskova in the semi-final at Lugano, including what I consider to be close to the shot of the year (https://www.wtatennis.com/videos/2019-lugano-shot-day-swiatek’s-outrageous-shot), and:

The absolutely insane final in Strasbourg when Dayana Yastremska saved a match point on the way to beating Caroline Garcia.

https://www.wtatennis.com/videos/2019-strasbourg-highlights-yastremska-beats-garcia-longest-final-season

Edited to add:

Although she hasn't yet played WTA, my other favourite moment would be Maja Chwalinska completing the "Polish Slam" of three ITF tournaments, topping that off by winning both the singles and doubles in Warsaw.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A teenager winning her first slam was really cool but so was Osaka winning a second slam right in a row. Toss-up for me between those two moments. I think Andreescu's finale performance was awesome though - I was on the edge of my seat.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Ash winning RG was surreal, never thought it would happen. I was traveling in Europe at the time and with each win I thought surely not. The rest of the year was great too but more expected after her slam win.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
- Bianca winning Indian Wells
- The Drama Queen comment in Miami
- Simona winning Wimbledon
- Bianca winning the USO

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Halep destroying Serena in the Wimbledon final. Sure, Serena was also well beaten by Andreescu in the US Open final, but I was actually confident Andreescu would win that match. I though Halep would lose that Wimbledon final, but she was amazing.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Best wta moments which trolled TF:
Sarita Errani run in Bogota.
SaiSai winning in San Jose.
Ash Barty winning a slam and becoming new no1.

Worst WTA moments:
Julia Görges named "Karlovic with big boobs" by Doi's coach and no response from WTA.
Bonaventure vs Siniakova incident
Haddad Maia doping case
Almost empty stands during Osaka - Andreescu match in Beijing

·
Registered
30,705 Posts
The Andreescu drama in Indian Wells and Miami.

Muguruza dumping Sumyk and Osaka dumping Bajin are also up there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
- Gauff breaking through at Wimbledon receiving the most amount of newcomer press coverage since the Dokic / Kournikova days.

- Andreescu winning the USO having been a virtually unknown player 12 months prior

- Serena reaching 2 consecutive slam finals, at this stage in her career and playing a limited schedule is truly remarkable

On a lower level:

- Riske’s amazing grass court season winning Hertogenbosch & reaching Wimbledon quarterfinal
- Gauff winning her maiden WTA title at 15 years of age
- Ostapenko’s mini resurgence during the end part of indoors fall season
Serena being straight-setted for the 3rd and 4th times in a row in a GS final is also truly remarkable. ;)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts

Worst WTA moments:
Julia Görges named "Karlovic with big boobs" by Doi's coach and no response from WTA.
Haddad Maia doping case
What happened between Bonaventure and Siniaková?

·
Registered
5,660 Posts

Worst WTA moments:
Haddad Maia doping case
What happened between Bonaventure and Siniaková?
https://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/1331829-st-petersburg-r1-bonaventure-def-siniakova-6-4-7-6-4-a.html#/topics/1331829

21 - 40 of 54 Posts