Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Mine was Andreescu winning Indian Wells. That was truly a breakout moment this year.

Related to the above posts, her comforting Serena with the retirement loss at Rogers Cup was also a nice moment and then them having another opportunity to play each other at the US Open was a pretty great story.

·
Registered
112,689 Posts
Moment of the year: Andreescu beating Serena. First teen to win a major since Sharapova won her 2nd in 2006. Serena about to turn 38 was playing her best tennis in this comeback, until the final.
Huge match with players almost 19 years apart
2 - Barty getting $4.4M check for a woman only week in Shenzhen. Groundbreaking for a WTA only event
3 - Osaka beating Andreescu in Beijing. Huge match between the young stars who won the last 3 hardcourt majors and broke thru at the last 2 Indian Wells

·
Registered
13,703 Posts
Osaka winning AO :inlove:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I'd probably say Muchova beating Pliskova at Wimbledon. It would feel a bit off to me listing a moment that didn't occur at a slam, and Wimbledon has a special place, but this was quite strange, it was Manic Monday, so obviously 8 men's and 8 women's matches crammed in to one day. I think I was mainly waiting for Konta-Kvitova to start on Centre, so was watching this match until it came on, but I was properly gripped, particularly that final set, and I ended up prioritising that over the first set of Konta as it was epic, and I've become much more a fan of her since.

That did also feel a massive moment for Muchova, she did of course beat Muguruza 10 months earlier in New York to first get her name out, but this put her into the QF of a slam, crack the top 50 for the first time, and against a heavily fancied player who was coming into it on the back of a grass title, and she's not looked back since.

I just wish I could find some extended highlights of the match, can only seem to find match point.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Andreescu winning US Open as a teenager, after IW and Rogers Cup (solidifying her stay in the tour).

I can't wait for what the future holds for this huge talent. And that tweener shot during the WTA Finals is a gem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm not one for cheese, but the Naomi/Coco moment at the USO crossed over into mainstream media in a way that nothing else did within the WTA this year - so there's no way you can deny that THAT was a moment.

My favourite moments all involve Naomi, of course.

Naomi coming back to win AO after her meltdown in set 2.
Naomi winning in Osaka after a rollercoaster summer.
Naomi beating Bianca in Beijing - this one just for the fact that it gave me faith that the WTA DOES have a good future with these 2 great players in their hands.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts