Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While their weren't a lot of great quality matches in the later rounds, what was your favorite match from the tournament? Mine would have to be Muchova beating Kaja 13-11 in the third. Honorable mention to Alison Riske fighting back in all of her matches and really should've beaten Serena if the nerves didn't get to her.

·
Premium Member
44,184 Posts
See this thread for my fave matches of the first five days...

From Day 6 to the final:

R3

Riske d. Bencic 4-6 6-4 6-4

Could have gone one way or another... but Riske's focus was superior. BB needs to learn in that department.

R4

Riske d. Barty 3-6 6-2 6-3

Probably Riske's best match of the event, focused from start to finish.

Muchova d. Pliskova 4-6 7-5 13-11

Amazing battle. Muchova was on a mission, sometime missing, but mostly not, and relentlessly making things. Pliskova did her best to stay in control. Could have gone one way or another.

QF

Williams d. Riske 6-4 4-6 6-3

Riske did her best that day, Serena played better on important points.

Svitolina d. Muchova 7-5 6-4

I enjoyed watching Svitolina find her game on grass. Was it real? Yes it was!

SF

Williams d. Strycova 6-1 6-2

That was peak Serena. Only to be reminded of the level she can still play, worth watching.

Halep d. Svitolina 6-1 6-3

Svitolina looked powerless fast, but let's not be fooled: the first games were really a battle from the ground. In the first games I was wondering who was going to take over, who would exhaust the other first. Well, Halep won after three or four games. She was the most aggressive, and Svitolina too passive. Elina should have not tried to exhaust Simona, it was impossible. Elina had to attack more, but she didn't look confident enough. Her feeling on the grass only started to click from the previous match (or maybe the one before vs Martic that I haven't seen) whereas Halep felt good since day 1, and even from warm up events. Remember what I told after she lost to Kerber in Eastbourne (against most people's opinions as usual...):

It was a fine match and I'd say Angie wasn't necessarily the better player here, but certainly the most effective. Will she stand the distance at Wimbly?

Halep should do very well in this form as for her, and got tested for a revenge.
Yes, people, we can see the form of a player even when she loses a match.

If anything Halep's success at Wimbledon can give hope to Svitolina and Wozniacki for the years to come.

F

Halep d. Williams 6-2 6-2

Serena did not deliver from the start but tried to adjust. That final is worth watching for Halep's performance, making the perfect match. Her only weak match was the one vs Cori Gauff, not to minimize the quality of the latter who did better matches in this Wimbledon as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I pick one only? OK: Gauff over Hercog. Something different that shows a lot more of what's going on in a match beside straight technical aspects.

·
Registered
21,964 Posts
Munchova v Pliskiebot is the obvious choice...

nothing else was even close.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Pliskova vs Muchova...Muchova's game <3

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
I tuned in to Muchova/Pliskova with Pliskova serving for it the first time round. Some really interesting tennis played by Muchova to get the upper hand, if only just. served more aces too!

Riske/Barty, Riske/Serena and Riske/Bencic were also quite fun to watch (amazing what Riske did this Wimbledon, and grass season!).

·
Registered
34,311 Posts
Muchova def. Pliskova 4-6, 7-5, 13-11 with Serena def. Riske 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 a close 2nd. Of the other ones I saw there were no memorable matches. Yes, Halep was very good in the final, but one player does not a match make.

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Muchova def. Pliskova
Serena def. Riske
Riske def. Barty
Pliskova def. Hsieh (wrong winner tho)
Gauff def. Hercog (despite the pushing in the late 2nd set it was entertaining to watch)
Davis def. Kerber

I would say the final if Serena was playing well, but she was not. However, if we want to talk about individual best performance this tournament it has to be Simona's final performance.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
My top 5 ,no order:

-Martic -Potapova : That battle on every points between Nastia intensity/big hitting and Martic variation was insane.So many amazing rallies from both.

-Pliskova-Hsieh : Hsieh tried all the tricks she has on her bag but Pliskova served amazingly well in that match.

-Pliskova-Muchova:Best match of the tournament.Muchova was on fire.

Bencic-Riske : Allie was behind on the score board during the whole but she just kept digging and fought as hell for the win.

Barty- Riske: THe 2nd and 3rd set were probably the best sets Riske had played in her career , she tried risky shots and barely missed anything.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
The final :devil:

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Best match? Pliskova's loss. Match I enjoyed most? The final. Watching Serena look so incompetent tells a lot about how mental the sport is
3, 4 years ago in a slam final you would never think that Serena is going to be the mental midget
This sport is all about taking pressure off yourself and not thinking about you being the favorite or the expectations on you
Serena now has expectations of an all time great and more importantly, the age issue, time is running out. And even though she knew this was the issue from a year ago, and had time to think about how to deal with it, she couldnt deal with it at all and was never in the match

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
karo/muchova for sure. almost 80 winners combined, didn't get better than that the whole tourney.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If we're talking strictly spectacle it has got to be Gauff Hercog. I don't think I've been on the edge of my sit for a tennis match like that one in a long time. It wasn't the best match, far from it, but it sure was the most fun to watch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts