Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering when you guys all started watching professional tennis on TV??

I personally was never into playing tennis and didn't like it much til about 1999, when I was a freshmen in high school. I had never really watched it on TV, but I can remember seeing it on HBO when HBO used to carry Wimbledon.

Well, the first match I ever remember watching was the '98 Wimby QF with Novotna and Venus. I just remembering thinking Venus was soo amazing and she really caught my interest. After that I still didn't really follow pro tennis until the '99 French when I watched Andre and Steffi win their matches in awesome fashions and since then I've been hooked...that was the year Venus/Serena won the dubs.

Wow, great memories...share yours!!! :D

· Registered
4,778 Posts
I was drawn to the awesome Natasha Zvereva at Wimbledon 1998 against I believe Tauziat. Z-Woman looked so hip and cool, I couldn't help but watch. I then went on to see Jana have her breakdown in the final. Sad that Natasha couldnt've beaten Tauziat. :fiery: :sad:

Tennis went on from there. Sadly I missed Martina Hingis' reign...

· Registered
7,256 Posts
It was Monica. During her very early years. I fell in love with tennis when I saw that two-handed beauty grunting it out on the courts!! :hearts: :worship:

· Registered
8,954 Posts
i honestly can't remember. but it was probably when is was like 5 or something because my parents always watched it. surprisingly i didn't start playing tennis until this year which is a gap of about 13 years.

· Registered
11,975 Posts
I thought it was Kim's QF match at RG 2001! But now, I remember to have watch Hingis vs Pierce and Pierce vs Martinez in RG 2000

· Registered
20,830 Posts
partly steffi-nav wimbledon 87 then three years I didn't follow tennis and played tennis against my wall always beating steffi since she was the star for me anyway (remember some things anyway like an interview in 89 on tv with pavel slozil), just never thought about following her results then a few early moments and steffi-conchita quarterfinal french 90 in total and since that moment I didn't miss anything anymore;)

I realy went from admiring from a far distance to a diehard fan in one day
:lol:

· Plainclothes Division
5,873 Posts
Can't remember it exactly, but I think it was on PBS, with Bud Collins and ? (Donald Dell?) announcing. A lot of tennis programming came through feeds from Boston (WGBH?). This would have been 1970, but I don't remember which players were in the very first match I saw. It would have been one of the top players, like King, Court, Laver, Rosewall, etc.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
Anna K vs Arantxa... I was rooting against Anna ofcourse because she was beating Arantxa badly.

· Registered
17,738 Posts
Oh God I think it must have been Wimby 1992, dont ask me which match.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
Wimbledon 1977 or 8 - Borg vs Connors so it must have been q/f or s/f.
I got home, switched on the television, sat down, thought, "Tut, bloody Tennis", couldn't be arsed to get up and change channels (no remotes in them days!).
Borg was in deep shit, two sets down and struggling in the third. But he's so cool and calm apart from one anxious glance to his coach. Connors on the other hand was an arsehole, so I really wanted Bjorn to turn this around, which he did, although I dont remember the score.
I was so hooked on Tennis (and my new hero) that the following year, I was in SW19 watching the great man in the flesh.

· Premium Member
172,297 Posts
Wimbledon around 79/1980 i think
watching Borg play and win Wimbledon.

· Registered
300 Posts
I also started to watch tennis in 1977/78 I think, with the rivalry between McEnroe and Borg.
Come on, Connors was no arsehole! He was a funny guy that made you watch for more than the game itself.Why are such personalities no more around these days?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.