Tennis Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Whatever the Williams sisters may give women's tennis, they have never given it a match like Friday night's US Open semifinal between Justine Henin-Hardenne and Jennifer Capriati. There was no question of any punches being pulled in this one. In fact, by the end of it, after three hours and three minutes of the most punishing tennis, it was hard to distinguish the winner from the loser - rather like one of those Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier fights." - Sunday Telegraph (Clive White)

Yeah, the Jen-Justine was a great match, but me think the two U.S. open semis between Hingis and Venus were as greater if not greater. That without even talking about the oz ´01 qrtr between Hingis- Serena...a match that to many was the best match of ´01.

· Registered
26,637 Posts
The "Midnight Marathon in Miami" between Jen and Monica (Nasdaq SF '02) has to rank with this one. And the writer's need to mention the currently inactive W/S only highlights how huge their presence (or absence) continues 2B.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tennisIlove09 said:
I think he was stating that Venus/Serena playing each other have never produced a match with quality of Jennifer/Justine
Then brother has to learn how to write properly, ´cause that sounded like the Williamses never have played classics.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ballbuster said:
The sistahs will Never produce matches like Jenn/Justine. There is no there. There is only blazing balls.
And how exactly did Justine win?!

· Registered
6,903 Posts
I don't think the sisters' absence is all that huge, at least not in the short term. It goes along with conventional wisdom and political correctness to say that, but in fact i don't think this past USOpen suffered much at all without them. People were into that semifinal. It was the best Open women's match in several years. But if both sisters stay out a long time, that would probably hurt the game.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
irma said:
it's the last exciting match there is played. people have a short memory
Yeah must be that...me think that last year´s semi between Venus and Amelie was good too..

· Registered
6,748 Posts
The match was full of choking on jen's part to be honest...it was a match, but i didnt find it that exciting...except when the crowd started cheering for justine's missed first serves and errors, now that was grrreat!

· Registered
26,637 Posts
vogus said:
I don't think the sisters' absence is all that huge, at least not in the short term. It goes along with conventional wisdom and political correctness to say that, but in fact i don't think this past USOpen suffered much at all without them. People were into that semifinal. It was the best Open women's match in several years. But if both sisters stay out a long time, that would probably hurt the game.
Call it what you will, but when a Venus playing 70 percent @ best beats Kimmie in one Wimby SF, and Serena renders the RG controversy moot by beating Juju "12-5" in the other, that speaks volumes.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
iLuVenuSerena said:
The match was full of choking on jen's part to be honest...it was a match, but i didnt find it that exciting...except when the crowd started cheering for justine's missed first serves and errors, now that was grrreat!
Yeah...the match was more choking than anything.

· Registered
13,770 Posts
that match between martina and serena at the AO that ended something like 8-6 is to me the best match of the century so far

it started with hingis cruising in the first ... then serena came back and she was even two breaks up in the final set only for hingis to come back!

drama and quality tennis

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gmak said:
that match between martina and serena at the AO that ended something like 8-6 is to me the best match of the century so far

it started with hingis cruising in the first ... then serena came back and she was even two breaks up in the final set only for hingis to come back!

drama and quality tennis
Word! THAT was the match...people wanna compare this years Open semi´s with the Hingis-Serena match?! Pluuuzzz!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.