Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sosa ejected after cork is found in shattered bat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs star Sammy Sosa was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay right when umpires found cork in his shattered bat.

ESPN's Harold Reynolds reports -- after talking to a a representative in the Cubs public relations department -- that Sosa will admit in his postgame presser that the bat he used tonight was corked.

Sosa will say the bat is usually used in home run hitting exhibitions but somehow it got mixed in with his game bats. He says he has never used a corked bat in a major league game before tonight.

The Cubs had runners at second and third when Sosa broke his bat with a grounder to second that at first appeared to drive in a run.

But crew chief Tim McClelland gathered with the other three umpires to examine the bat. Cubs manager Dusty Baker came out and the umpires showed the bat to him.

Mark Grudzielanek was sent back to third base, the run was wiped off the board and Sosa was ejected as he stood in the dugout.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Heard Peter Gammons speaking on ESPNEWS about this. Sammy'll have some marketability issues if it's really his bat. But he'll get through it, he seems pretty tough.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
It's when you drill a hole in the middle of the bat and stick some cork in there...you know, like in wine bottles. I think it makes the bat lighter, and when you strike the ball it'll go farther. Something like that...it's very illegal. And Sammy could face a long suspension. Ten games probably.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
I had to laugh when I heard this. Sammy was cool back in 98 but then he became such a whiner. Sucks for the Cubs though.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
GBFH said:
It's when you drill a hole in the middle of the bat and stick some cork in there...you know, like in wine bottles. I think it makes the bat lighter, and when you strike the ball it'll go farther. Something like that...it's very illegal. And Sammy could face a long suspension. Ten games probably.
yeah...but it doesn't nessacerilly make the bat lighter....but it does make the ball go farther!

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Oh, and I also like the way they are like "Sammy will say...he will say.."

It is as if they have a cover up all planned.

·
Premium Member
10,288 Posts
Corked bats??? BIG DEAL!!!!

Heck, Gaylord Perry scuffed up baseballs and no one thought that was a big deal.

Nolan Ryan threw baseballs at batters' heads and that, too, was no big deal.

Cheating is just part of the game. Sorta like the American way of life. When George Bush steals an election and bribes the Turkish government he is considered a hero. No one suspends him from his job for cheating. So why should Sammy be suspended???

Who needs rules? In the good old USA, rules are made to be broken! :D

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Actually, Gaylord sometimes threw a "spitball", while Mike Scott of the Houston Astro's was accused of scuffing the ball. Both did it far less than many people thought, but would try to fake out hitters into thinking they usually did (like Gaylord covering his face with the ball in the glove). It was largely a Clint Eastwood style psych job; another version is the "brushback pitch" by a hard thrower like Roger Clemens, where its very rare that a (helmeted) batter actually gets hit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts