Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I noticed that sometimes in her post match interviews Jelena Jankovic talks about giving her opponents "the balls they like" or "letting them play" a certain way. I was just curious what it is exactly that she does/doesn't do in order to let them play their game. Is it loopy balls? Deep balls? Slow balls? It seems like a pretty bizarre thing to say when you get thrashed and your opponent is hitting winners left and right...
I also noticed that she has a tendency to groan in disappointment when her opponent hits a winner but say nothing when she hits a winner. Weird.
Anyway here are the quotes, and I'm curious as to your input:

V. WILLIAMS/J. Jankovic
6-2, 2-6, 6-3 (DOHA, QATAR)
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=53242
"I didn't play well. I didn't play well tactically. I wasn't doing the right things. I played everything that allowed her to play her game.
Then the second set, I played a little bit better. Then in the third, I just in the wrong times. I made some errors, and also she had some luck in the important points. Like at the end of this third set."

M. BARTOLI/J. Jankovic
6-1, 6-4 (MELBOURNE, VICTORIA January 25, 2009)
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=54092
"You know, I had a slow start. I let my opponent completely come on top of me and play her game.
I had some chances in the first set as well, but I just didn't take it. I gave her a lot of confidence throughout the match ... overall played wrong tactically, didn't do what I was supposed to do to beat my opponent.
... You know, I let her hit all the shots that she wanted to. I let her play her game. I didn't do what I was supposed to do, and this was wrong for me. Couldn't get my rhythm out there."

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Just an excuse for a loss. Come on, this is old news, Ree has been doing it for years.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
had a little chuckle at the title of the thread :tape:

·
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
14,454 Posts
Ciarán.;15144073 said:
Damnit! Ciara beat me to it!
OK, so I noticed that sometimes in her post match interviews Jelena Jankovic talks about giving her opponents "the balls they like" or "letting them play" a certain way. I was just curious what it is exactly that she does/doesn't do in order to let them play their game. Is it loopy balls? Deep balls? Slow balls? It seems like a pretty bizarre thing to say when you get thrashed and your opponent is hitting winners left and right...
I also noticed that she has a tendency to groan in disappointment when her opponent hits a winner but say nothing when she hits a winner. Weird.
Anyway here are the quotes, and I'm curious as to your input:

V. WILLIAMS/J. Jankovic
6-2, 2-6, 6-3 (DOHA, QATAR)
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=53242
"I didn't play well. I didn't play well tactically. I wasn't doing the right things. I played everything that allowed her to play her game.
Then the second set, I played a little bit better. Then in the third, I just in the wrong times. I made some errors, and also she had some luck in the important points. Like at the end of this third set."

M. BARTOLI/J. Jankovic
6-1, 6-4 (MELBOURNE, VICTORIA January 25, 2009)
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=54092
"You know, I had a slow start. I let my opponent completely come on top of me and play her game.
I had some chances in the first set as well, but I just didn't take it. I gave her a lot of confidence throughout the match ... overall played wrong tactically, didn't do what I was supposed to do to beat my opponent.
... You know, I let her hit all the shots that she wanted to. I let her play her game. I didn't do what I was supposed to do, and this was wrong for me. Couldn't get my rhythm out there."
This thread can be seen as so freaking dirty.:devil:
"I let my opponent completely come on top of me" :lol::scared::eek:
Oh myyyyyyy. The thought of Bartoli doing that to Jankovic......:eek::drink::bolt:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This thread can be seen as so freaking dirty.:devil: "I let my opponent completely come on top of me" :lol::scared::eek: Oh myyyyyyy. The thought of Bartoli doing that to Jankovic......:eek::drink::bolt:
AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! oh jelena..she doesn't like it when the williams' are confident..obvs cuz she gets beaten

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This thread can be seen as so freaking dirty.:devil:
"I let my opponent completely come on top of me" :lol::scared::eek:
Oh myyyyyyy. The thought of Bartoli doing that to Jankovic......:eek::drink::bolt:
I've just come from the funny pictures thread and am too tickled for this title and all it contains:help:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Though incidentally, if the answer turns out to be "English", give her my phone number please:hearts:

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
well the only balls she can do something with are hard balls :p they are quite useless any way else

·
MA5HA
33,778 Posts
No she doesn't.

She like balls without much pace so she can easily change the direction.

Or She likes hard ones where the only thing she has to do is move it around using her opponents power.

Like Duh. :eek:
:spit: :rolls:

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
In all honestly, I'm more interested in what kind of balls Maria and Ana like :lol:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Mlađan's.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts