Tennis Forum banner

What Should the New CEO's First Move Be?

2K views 46 replies 42 participants last post by  Shvedbarilescu 
#1 ·
So Larry Scott is out, which I have mixed feelings about, but it does open up the door for some potential changes on tour. What do you think the first move should be?

My vote (among others): Make entry lists available to the public again.

#43 ·
Compulsory sports psychologists for all. Also, break up the clumping of tournaments we see in the year (like the US hardcourt summer season) and stop the crappy 'one player from the top 10' rule for Tier III events.
:confused:

So you want the players to play hardcourt warm-ups all around Europe, North America, and South America and then travel to New York? No, keep the US hardcourt tournaments where they are; it's so convenient for the players.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Get rid of The YEC, or at least change the venue.

More bums on seats in stadia.

Bigger gap between Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

Subscription Tennis TV channel

offering multi-court live WTA coverage - 24 hours a day, all year :p
i may be wrong but i don't think that's his jurisdiction.

#11 ·
hire Dawn Marie as assistant

#13 ·
A totally selfish European perspective :

1) Renegotiate the contract with Eurosport so either they show more tennis or, if they aren't able to do so, let others show/stream it, rather than black out European coverage.

2) Restore the autumn hardcourt season if possible. Was my favourite part of the year, though I guess if it wasn't financially viable it had to go.

#14 ·
in a nutshell, get rid of all the anal scheduling rules they have. play a tournament or don't, at whatever level you wish. FREEDOM!!! and of course, give a BYE immediately to any Italian with a surname ending in ...iavone

#16 ·
this is going to sound really stupid to alot of people, but i've always felt the season should end with the u.s. open, it just seems like a better climax ending to the season to me to go out with a grand slam, the yec does have a few good matches but the players are usually semi injured or fatigued from the year. obviously the tourneys in the fall would have to do something idk, i just think the season should end with a grand slam.

#17 ·
Allow more streaming seeing as no matter where in the world a tournament is being played, there are people sat at home wanting to see it. Especially with 'premiere' events getting such poor TV coverage and people usually relying on televised matches to follow the game properly, I think allowing fans to actually see as many matches and tournaments as possible is a key factor in the popularity of the sport.

#19 ·
First thing they could do is actually listen to the players and fans on the issues that need changing on the Tour :worship:

Things I would love to see changed...

- Lower the price of tournament tickets so you get full stadiums.
- Release full commitment lists again, so fans know exactly who will be playing which tournament.
- Make sure all tournaments have good quality websites, with proper live scores, accurate information and live streams.
- Secure a proper TV deal with Eurosport and get more women's tennis back on our screens again.
- Get rid of on-court coaching.
- Get rid of the new 'mandatory' tournaments! No one forced to play somewhere that they don't want to play.
- Make all tournaments more consistant...qualies all starting on the same day of the week, not some starting on friday, some on saturday etc..
- Be more fair with the distribution of wild cards.
- Get rid of '2nd grade' YEC in Bali.
- Improve Tour and WTA tournament merchandise...lower the price but still manage to make it a desirable brand within itself.
- Make sure tournaments are being played in countries where every player have equal visa access or at least for the WTA to make every effort to secure the visas for all players taking part, in advance of the tournament starting.
- WTA doing more to make the Tour as fan-friendly as possible, not removing personal tournament photos or videos from YouTube etc...
- Stop the huge fines for late withdrawals from tournaments, ask the players more on issues surrounding the calender, ranking etc...before putting the changes into place.
- Don't schedule tournaments the same week as Fed Cup.
- Bring back 'quality points' in the rankings.

<------- Wants to apply for Larry's old job :devil:

(Certainly couldn't do any worse than him! :lol: )

#20 ·
A new CEO can't just make sweeping changes.
She/he has to deal with sponsors and tournament directors and large management groups and tv executives and ITF bodies and on and on.

Decisions have to appease everyone with a big financial stake

#21 ·
Sending individual love letters to Serena Williams, Venus Williams and that Maria chick.

Then flying to wherever Serena Williams might be and kissing her ample ass.

Then perhaps learning to speak Russian.

Then ending the mandatory nonsense since it only served to bring negative attention to the WTA whether you were pro-Indian Wells or correctly pro-Team Williams there was plenty to annoy you out there. ;)

#22 ·
1) Ban on-court coaching
2) Move Indian Wells to the summer.
3) Make Wimbledon a week later, Roland Garros a week earlier, add two more grass court tournaments.

#24 ·
The new CEO can't do anything regarding the Slams, they're governed by the ITF, and I doubt the WTA CEO could get away with moving the Slams if the ATP don't agree.

Get rid of on-court coaching, awful thing :eek:

Create a more fan-friendly way of streaming the tournaments like the ATP, 'Premier Mandatory Events' do not sound cool or sexy :eek:

Get rid of crappy events like Bad Gastein and Portoroz :eek:

#26 ·
Make Premiere-5 2M$ tournaments mandatory for all, not only for TOP-10 players, so it will be same case like at ATP with 4 slams and 9 masters! That will ruin rest of tour, but at least we will have every month 1 or 2 really great event with all best players (just like at ATP with slams+ masters series) and many potential great matchups which will repeat often, just like in Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray-Roddick-Davydenko-Del Potro... case.

No more about 5 years pause between two matches of players like Henin and Venus, or just one match between Serena and Ana every two years...

#28 ·
Make Premiere-5 2M$ tournaments mandatory for all, not only for TOP-10 players, so it will be same case like at ATP with 4 slams and 9 masters! That will ruin rest of tour, but at least we will have every month 1 or 2 really great event with all best players (just like at ATP with slams+ masters series) and many potential great matchups which will repeat often, just like in Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray-Roddick-Davydenko-Del Potro... case.

No more about 5 years pause between two matches of players like Henin and Venus, or just one match between Serena and Ana every two years...
I can go along with that plan and it be counted in their rankings.

#31 ·
Get rid of this mess they call a roadmap
Have every event broadcast live
Get new event locations
Ban on-court coaching
Have IW formally apologize to the WS and force to them to put Serena's championship banner up.

#32 ·
I agree the on court coaching should go.

Also have more tournaments in a week, the ATP always seem to have weeks with 3 tournaments on which is rare on WTA. Also no more ridiculous clay tournaments out of clay season. Also bring back so old venues would be cool, like San Marino and Waikiola.

GET RID OF THAT WAFFLELY ROADMAP. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.