Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gauff has played seven tournaments as a 15-year-old. She has 7 left between now and mid-March, when she turns 16. She has the standard 10 events given to 15-year-olds with the AER, plus two for finishing last year as the junior World No. 2, plus two since since she gets direct entry into the USO and AO on her own ranking.

The AER also states she's only allowed three wild cards as a 15-year-old. I believe she has already used them all (Miami, French Open, Wimbledon).

Assuming she loses to Halep, she'll be ranked around No. 140 and there are lots of possible options.

1) Keep her as far away from pressure & cameras as possible, focus on development and go back to Challengers/WTA 125K's, plus the Slams.

2) Focus on smaller WTA events (DC, Bronx, etc)

3) Focus on the Premiere 5 level events like Cincinnati/Wuhan etc

What's the best approach here? I'd personally like to see her go hard this summer (Montreal, Cincinnati, Bronx, US Open), take the fall off, and then play Auckland/Australian Open/Indian Wells next year.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Assuming she loses to Halep
If her team is smart, they will assess how to move forward depending on how she does with Simona, which is a huge step up in level compared to what Coco has faced in the tournament and perhaps her career so far.
If she does well against Simona by beating her or at least giving her a very close match, Coco's team might decide that she's ready to take on the top players at Premier events. If she only wins a few games against Simona, my advice would be to focus on international and 125K events for now, that way Coco can continue to build her game and potentially win matches without getting too discouraged.
As an unseeded player at Premier events, most likely she will face top ten players in the first or second round most of the times, which will probably result in a bunch of bad consecutive losses that could mess up with her confidence.

Now that she's announced herself to the world, she should build her ranking organically and regularly compete in the highest level tour events when her ranking allows her to.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
based on what i saw today, Cori Gauff is still at least 3 years away from contending for GS titles... she has the courage, but not the game. In terms of quality, this match against Hercog looked like a pair of 15-year old juniors pushing in 1R of a 10K in Sharm-el-Sheikh, each trying to get their first ranking point. Cori plays like a junior, she just happened to have the luck to face 3 straight maindraw opponents who had too many of their own problems to be able to deal with Cori's balls coming back over the net time after time after time.

So they shouldn't push her or try to cash in too fast. Obviously she'll play USO maindraw and Australian Open qualifying, but other than that, they should confine her to 50 & 100Ks. Then maybe main draw WC at Indian Wells if everything is going ok, but people shouldn't expect too much from her in '020 as a 16-year-old.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
based on what i saw today, Cori Gauff is still at least 3 years away from contending for GS titles... she has the courage, but not the game. In terms of quality, this match against Hercog looked like a pair of 15-year old juniors pushing in 1R of a 10K in Sharm-el-Sheikh, each trying to get their first ranking point. Cori plays like a junior, she just happened to have the luck to face 3 straight maindraw opponents who had too many of their own problems to be able to deal with Cori's balls coming back over the net time after time after time.

So they shouldn't push her or try to cash in too fast. Obviously she'll play USO maindraw and Australian Open qualifying, but other than that, they should confine her to 50 & 100Ks. Then maybe main draw WC at Indian Wells if everything is going ok, but people shouldn't expect too much from her in '020 as a 16-year-old.
She is a tremendous retriever, one of the best I've ever seen at such a young age, and that's what has helped her a lot getting this far. But she has yet to face another fantastic retriever with 10 years of experience at this level, so that's where realistically her story here ends.

If she keeps growing from here she could be a Slam winner at age 19, like you said, maybe even 18, but she does need to grow and she also needs to take it slow. The last thing she wants is overplay and burn herself out, like so many talented teenage prospects have done in the past. She looks like the real deal and I think she will be that one day, but for now she needs to grow, grow her game and grow herself. Time is on her side.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
This is what Monica Seles played at 15 years old (the age eligibility rules weren't in place yet):
1.Washington, 2.Houston, 3.French Open, 4.Wimbledon, 5.US Open, 6.Dallas, 7.Stuttgart, 8.Zurich, 9.Brighton, 10.WTA Finals. She finished the year at No.6 in the world selecting quality over quantity.

·
Milk and honey
4,035 Posts
If she's seven events left, until early next March, I'm assuming her first event as a 16 y/o will be Miami, as her birthday is the 13th, bang in the middle of IW, so she won't be able to play that as part of the next cycle.

Assuming that she has until Miami to use the 7 events, I would recommend a mid-high US ITF, Washington DC MM, Cincy, USO for this season, and AO, Newport Beach 125K, Indian Wells in 2020. Potentially might be better to play Auckland next year instead of Newport Beach so she can get a tuneup before the AO. I'm assuming she'd get a MDWC for DC, Cincy, IW, the USO and potentially even the AO next year, leaving her a lot of room to play for more points.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
This is what Monica Seles played at 15 years old (the age eligibility rules weren't in place yet):
1.Washington, 2.Houston, 3.French Open, 4.Wimbledon, 5.US Open, 6.Dallas, 7.Stuttgart, 8.Zurich, 9.Brighton, 10.WTA Finals. She finished the year at No.6 in the world selecting quality over quantity.

:yeah:

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
she's getting so much attention that for a 15 year old living in a social media world it's gonna be hard (see what happened to bouchard and she was already fully developed at 19)? i dont know. maybe it was better for this to happen at 19 or something

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'd have her play Washington DC for sure, then the USO. So that is 5 more events left.

For sure she will play

Auckland
AO
IW 125k
IW regular

Then Miami would be the first event of her age 16 season.

So the question is: Do we play 1 more event post USO? Maybe Macon 80k? Or do one more event in US HC season? Maybe Bronx if she is in USO Main Draw?

Let's focus on Halep first

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
so wait, she can't get USO WC? :eek:
I'm wondering the same too? I had assumed she was a lock for a wildcard there. I'm sure the USTA will throw a huge stink if that is the case, and maybe even get the rule changed though :eek:. She also can't get direct entry unless she beats Halep if she has already reached her limit because the US Open list comes out in two weeks, which means she would need a wildcard to enter any tournaments before then.

Davenport on Tennis Channel (during a rerun of the Vika-Halep match) just said Gauff is a top contender to win Wimbledon :tears:.

Reactions: posthuman

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
she's getting so much attention that for a 15 year old living in a social media world it's gonna be hard (see what happened to bouchard and she was already fully developed at 19)? i dont know. maybe it was better for this to happen at 19 or something
Please stop.

Bouchard will never be as mature at any age as Gauff is at 15

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
I'm wondering the same too? I had assumed she was a lock for a wildcard there. I'm sure the USTA will throw a huge stink if that is the case, and maybe even get the rule changed though :eek:. She also can't get direct entry unless she beats Halep if she has already reached her limit because the US Open list comes out in two weeks, which means she would need a wildcard to enter any tournaments before then.

Davenport on Tennis Channel (during a rerun of the Vika-Halep match) just said Gauff is a top contender to win Wimbledon :tears:.
Well, she said something close. :devil:

Her and Lindsay were wondering if 'Coco Gauf Was The Best Woman So far at Wimbledon', since they felt both Halep and Vika weren't playing great (with neither winning an event yet this season). But when they joked/questioned if she could win the tournament. They were a bit more reserved (IMO), and didn't sound convinced. :smile2:

I just heard it on Tennis Channel, seconds ago. LOL.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

gosh that's going to be a bombshell in a few months if it drops. US Open changing another rule for their player :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,213 Posts

100% agree with this

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
I think it's premature to talk about her 'schedule' when she is still in the draw at Wimbledon.
IF she manages to beat Halep, she'll enter the top-100.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts