Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any seasoned players up to the challenge of displacing one of the big four?

Will we see a newcomer rise to the task?

Lindsay? Not likely

Capriati? I'd never count her out she's a scrapper

Monica? Fraid not

Amelie? Can she go three months w/out injury?

Chanda? Weak showing at Wimbledon doesn't bode well.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
If Monica can finally heal and play injury free for at least a year, then I think she can go up the rankings again and reach the top 5. She's always comeback from injury and reached no.4 or no.3, but then she gets injured, falls the ranking and has to start all over again.

Remember, next year she has practically no points to defend (2nd round at the Australian where she got injured, 1st round at the French where she was barely moving, didn't play Wimbledon), she has nothing to defend and she will soar up the rankings). At the end of last year at the Chase, she beat Davenport and gave Venus a great match.

And this year despite all the injuries and inconsistant schedule, she managed to beat Mauresmo, Rubin and pushed Lindsay and Justine to 3 sets. She's far from over and when she heals, she will be a contender. I know everyone has written off, but besides the injury problems, I see no signs of slowing down. In the last year she has shown us that she can still compete with the best and play some great tennis, despite the injuries and not playing much.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Daniela? Jelena??

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
We need to wait till the mid season of the summer hardcourt till we can say they are really the BIG 4!!!!!! In the first place, I dont see Henin even in the big 7 for US hardcourts.

From what I remembered, Its Lindsay who got most games from Serena last year at US Open and almost won a set and just gave it up.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
selesrules said:
If Monica can finally heal and play injury free for at least a year, then I think she can go up the rankings again and reach the top 5. She's always comeback from injury and reached no.4 or no.3, but then she gets injured, falls the ranking and has to start all over again.

Remember, next year she has practically no points to defend (2nd round at the Australian where she got injured, 1st round at the French where she was barely moving, didn't play Wimbledon), she has nothing to defend and she will soar up the rankings). At the end of last year at the Chase, she beat Davenport and gave Venus a great match.

And this year despite all the injuries and inconsistant schedule, she managed to beat Mauresmo, Rubin and pushed Lindsay and Justine to 3 sets. She's far from over and when she heals, she will be a contender. I know everyone has written off, but besides the injury problems, I see no signs of slowing down. In the last year she has shown us that she can still compete with the best and play some great tennis, despite the injuries and not playing much.

Monica back to the top five??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah right!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
Knizzle said:

You need one of these -----------> :tape: .

What selesrules said is not untrue, except that Monica is not going to have another season injury free so that discussion is pointless.

I agree with what DA FOREHAND said, except I'd count out Capriati as well.

The real test will come from a newcomer IMHO - or maybe a really, really, really inspired Lindsay.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Knizzle said:

Though it's indeed not likely to see Monica return to the top 5 this kind of behaviour is inappropriate towards the most succesful still active player

So I'd agree: :tape:

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I'm thinking Lindsay won't make it into the 2005 season. She's got, at most, another year and a half on tour before she settles down with Jon. I think, or at least hope, that in her remaining time she'll give it her all. What she's missing right now is self-confidence and belief against the top players. Her health is also a concern, as she'll have surgery again this November. But I think we've been seeing flashes of the old Lindsay throughout this year. If she can play as well as she did at Wimbledon then she is a major force to be reckoned with this summer and I think only 3 players can beat her - Serena, Venus, and herself (in finals :fiery: :rolleyes: )

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Not Hantuchova - I just don't see her ever being quick enough.

Not Dokic - I just don't see her game ever having enough variety, or her serve becoming less than a liability.

Not Capriati - She's already 27 and her serve will never improve.

Not Daveport - She gave up years ago.

Not Seles - She's physically unable to compete, even when she's not injured, and time is almost up (perhaps it already is).

Not Clijsters - She just doesn't have the natural aggression in her shots.

Not Henin - For all her efforts, she doesn't have the physique.

Not Dementieva - Her serve is a liability, which is fatal, even if she ever does become less erratic.

Not Myskina - I think she's gone nearly as far as she can go.

Not Chanda - She possesses nothing that the other girls don't have, and can't beat Venus and Serena on a regular basis.

So, who does that leave?

I hope the Willies enjoy the next decade! I think they will!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Steffica Greles said:
Not Hantuchova - I just don't see her ever being quick enough.

Not Dokic - I just don't see her game ever having enough variety, or her serve becoming less than a liability.

Not Capriati - She's already 27 and her serve will never improve.

Not Daveport - She gave up years ago.

Not Seles - She's physically unable to compete, even when she's not injured, and time is almost up (perhaps it already is).

Not Clijsters - She just doesn't have the natural aggression in her shots.

Not Henin - For all her efforts, she doesn't have the physique.

Not Dementieva - Her serve is a liability, which is fatal, even if she ever does become less erratic.

Not Myskina - I think she's gone nearly as far as she can go.

Not Chanda - She possesses nothing that the other girls don't have, and can't beat Venus and Serena on a regular basis.

So, who does that leave?

I hope the Willies enjoy the next decade! I think they will!!
Isn't the title of this thread "What player has the best chance of shaking up the top" ?

"Not Clijsters - She just doesn't have the natural aggression in her shots."

Kim will be the new number one in singles and doubles after the US Open. I think that's the top. If you mean, who will beat Serena, well, ...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.