Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody knows? are the players pay coaches with salary? or give them percentage on whatever they received? and how much is the tax? what do the agent/management get from them? any help would be uch appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
It must depend a lot on where they're based from - some countries will pay higher tax than others. This is a reason why lots of top earning sports stars are based from Monaco and other similar 'tax havens'.

·
Diosa Contable
2,605 Posts
Josh Salah al-Din said:
They also have to pay taxes on their earned prizemoney in the country the tournament was held.
But that would be double imposition, wouldn't it? can you claim that back? I mean, if you have to pay say 30% in your country, and you've already paid 20% somewhere else, don't you just pay the added 10% in your country? I know that's how it works for some taxes in Spain, but not sure how it is elsewhere...

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
11,293 Posts
I'm not too sure how it works really :confused:. But I know that when players receive their prizemoney, a percentage is taken off according the tax rate in that particular country.

The taxes they pay in their home countries (or where they are based) are yearly income taxes and are calculated based on their earnings of that particular year.

Anyway, I'm no tax expert. I slept through that class at uni. :lol:

·
Diosa Contable
2,605 Posts
Well, I didn't sleep through that class, but still, I barely passed :unsure: ;)

I think here we have this principle of avoiding paying double "doble imposición" - so when you put the total of your winnings in the first empty square of your tax form, you can somewhere down the middle of the same form claim that you already paid part of it elsewhere ;) :D - and for the first 60.000€ you don't even have to say anything about them :p

For people making over 65.000 € the percentage is 48% in Spain.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,691 Posts
In that Girls On Tour documentary that was on Channel 4 a while ago, there was a bit where Maggie Maleevas boyfriend (Lubomir?) went to get her money in Sydney, and they gave him a print out with the details, and I'm fairly sure they said they'd taken off 39% in tax. I assume you must get that deducted from income tax in your own country, but I don't know what happens if you live in Monaco or something. I'd like to know how they pay coaches too. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.