Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many many posts indicate that Venus is a dominate player due to her very hard serve. Some state it is her muscles. Others feel it is her height, reach, and speed. I am here to tell you, it is none of those things. The reason Venus is so dominate is her ability to compete. To give her all when needed. Her dogged determination to flat out not lose. When I first noticed this was at the 99 U.S. Open. Her serve had abandoned her, in fact late in the match, it was only in the sixty mph range. Yet she fought. Her body racked with pain due to cramps, still she fought. This young lady literally had to be carried from the court. Venus' competitive spirit has been on display many times since then. Examples are; Saving 8 match points at the Ericsson, defeating 3 top ten players in 27 hours in a tourney right before the 01 U.S. Open, only to go on and win the OPEN! Defeating her little Sister before 23000 in house spectators and millions worldwide. I remember when Capriati defeat Serena at the Ericsson, Venus was then asked who she perferred to play in the finals. She immediately said Capriati, thought for a minute, and said the highest ranked player which also was...you guessed it Capriati. Venus may very well be the greatest fighter in women's tennis history. :cool: ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree with everything you have said, but I think you left out a "key" ingredient: Richard and Oracene Williams. Words can hardly express how important it has been to Venus and Serena to have the support of a strong (make that extra strong) African-American family in the face of so much negativity.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
After watching the Zina segment i have to second what Deira said. Zina talked alot about how she had self-esteem, and you just got the feeling that she felt really alone most of the time. V and S don't have that problem because they grew up being told that they were the best. I don't know anything about how their self-esteem may be faring, but I'm almost certain when they walk out on the court, they feel like they are the best. Venus has said she does a number of times, and so has Serena. Zina said she did not feel that way all the time.

Upbringing counts for alot.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree totally Deira, did not mean to minimize the impact the parents have and had. In fact both Venus and Serena often acknowledge that their dreams were first their parents dream. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts