Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I watched Martina Hingis and Roger Federer on tv and between them they spoke to each other in their language. I had a friend who is from Austria which speaks German, I asked him to translate and he said he couldn't understand them and that he didn't know what language they spoke. I was thinking thats weird because I thought they spoke German.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have thought Swiss-German :shrug:

I doubt its french.
I thought the same. But a friend of mine who is from Austria which speaks German said he couldn't understand them. It sounded foreign to him, like he never heard it before.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Esperanto

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Martina Hingis quote:

'I'd like to see some OTHER people speak 3 languages'

U know who she's refering too? :tape:
who? I am sure there are many :p

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
why are you guessing and guessing whe nthere are germans here who know the answer: swiss-german.

now there are different dialects in switzerland. it varies a lot. but in school for example high german is the standard language. when you go o ut with your friends and have fun during the break though you speak swiss german with them. so the swiss understand the german and the german have trouble understanding the swiss.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
who? I am sure there are many :p
i speak german, swiss-german, greek and english fluently and i am also studying french and spanish. i can converse in fr. and sp., but my vocabulary isn't as good as in english :p

yeeeeeeha, i'm talented. :bounce:

:p

Reactions: go hingis

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Swiss-German. Austrians don't always understand Swiss-German which is a dialect. Martina speaks some French but it is not her mother tongue!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts