Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one speaks dutch, the other one speaks French, do they communicate in English or???

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Interesting topic. I used to wonder if Monica Seles would speak to any of the Hungarian players etc. in their language when they played, and also with players like Dokic.

Back to the topic, they're both competent in all three languages but my guess would be Dutch.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Messenger said:
Interesting topic. I used to wonder if Monica Seles would speak to any of the Hungarian players etc. in their language when they played, and also with players like Dokic.

Back to the topic, they're both competent in all three languages but my guess would be Dutch.
Monica speaks Hungarian with Hungarian players and Serbian with Dokic :D

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Messenger said:

Definitely not Dutch.
I think they use English and sometimes a bit of French.
See, in Belgium, most of the Flemish people speak French as their second language but the Walloons don't speak Dutch at all.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Glenn said:
Definitely not Dutch.
I think they use English and sometimes a bit of French.
See, in Belgium, most of the Flemish people speak French as their second language but the Walloons don't speak Dutch at all.
Thanks Glenn. Is it compulsory to learn at least some of it in High School?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had them all: French, English, German! But yeah, I don't think Juju is able to speak Dutch! Wich is a pity! I think it's very sad that the Walloons expect us to know how to speak French, but most of them don't speak or understand dutch at all!

So I definitly think they speak English!

·
Team WTAworld, Destroyer of the Ring
5,336 Posts
Josh said:
Walloon students have the choice between Dutch, English and German and most of them choose English. French and English are compulsory in Flemish schools and German is optional.
They don't even have to learn Dutch? That's shit.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
dutch is compulsory from 10 to 12. In every single school.

then we have the choice between dutch and english( and german ), and most of us choose for dutch, as surprising it may be for you! I remember watching a tv-program somes months ago, and it wa said that for the first time since the new school-organisation was established ( in the seventies ), english became first-choice for second language in 2 out of 5 walloons provinces. Which means than in the 3 others, dutch was still the first choice.

Sure we don't speak dutch as well as flemish speak french, but saying that we don't speak dutch at all is exagerrating.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Yeah , they probably use a secret language...like JusKimmish or something like that. ;)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
methinks French or English cos Kim definately knows french (she gave her speech at RG in 2001 in french) and i dont think Justine is that fluent in Dutch...

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Lucky belgians ;), you' re probably the ones in Europe who speaks a lot of differents languages very well ;).

I seriously think that Justine will speak in french this afternoon, and I think that Kim will speak a little bit in french and in english.

I' ve just read thiw morning on Aol France :

Qui supportez-vous chez les femmes ? ( Who do you want to win the ladies final ? )

74% Justine Henin 5 137
26% Kim Clijsters 1 810
Vote(s) exprimé(s) ( Numbers of voters ) : 6 947

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Josh said:
Walloon students have the choice between Dutch, English and German and most of them choose English. French and English are compulsory in Flemish schools and German is optional.
No!!

We are obliged to study both dutch and english!!

In the first and second year of secundary school, you have to choose between english and dutch (80 % of the students choose dutch) and from 3rd year to the end of the secundary school, the language we haven't chosed in the first year of the secundary, we are obliged to take it!

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Anyway, Paris is today Belgium' s capitale, speak french ,dutch, or english isn' t really important. All the Belgium will win today :) !!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts