Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Carlos,as a coach, shouldn't say anything to the press IMO whatever reason Justine lost. He should concentrate on working out Ju's problems, whether it's mental, physical or technical. If it's mental, as a coach, he should get a psychologist in sport for Ju to train it instead of talking it to the media repeatedly, as if it's all Ju's fault not his.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Don't think Carlos is perfect especially on the tactical side. However, IMO, we won't have Justine without Carlos. It took his genius to see the potential behind that slight and small 14 year old girl. It took his courage to take on Justine instead of Dominique who had just become a top 10 player. (No body would have taken that kind of career risk.) It took his knowledge to build Justine into a complete player.

Justine did not became the kind of player she is without careful nurturing from an understanding and knowledgeable coach. Yes, she is constantly adjusting/changing her serves and FH. But we don't know how much of that is out of necessity and how much is just for the fun of changing. Or how much is what Justine wants vs what Carlos wants.

The psychological supports provided by Carlos and his family during her many periods of personal crisis are inmeasurable.

If Carlos did indeed make some mistakes, he had earned his right to do so.

Now should he bring some outside help to complement his expertise? Yes, absolutely. I think Justine needs some additional insight into her approach shots and volleys, and most importantly her serve.

Justine cannot survive without Carlos and she is like a daughter to him. IMO, they have one of the best coach-pupil relations in sport. He may not have done everything in the most proper manner but his intention is good.

:worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Don't think Carlos is perfect especially on the tactical side. However, IMO, we won't have Justine without Carlos. It took his genius to see the potential behind that slight and small 14 year old girl. It took his courage to take on Justine instead of Dominique who had just become a top 10 player. (No body would have taken that kind of career risk.) It took his knowledge to build Justine into a complete player.

Justine did not became the kind of player she is without careful nurturing from an understanding and knowledgeable coach. Yes, she is constantly adjusting/changing her serves and FH. But we don't know how much of that is out of necessity and how much is just for the fun of changing. Or how much is what Justine wants vs what Carlos wants.

The psychological supports provided by Carlos and his family during her many periods of personal crisis are inmeasurable.

Now should he bring some outside help to complement his expertise? Yes, absolutely. I think Justine needs some additional insight into her approach shots and volleys, and most importantly her serve.

Justine cannot survive without Carlos and she is like a daughter to him. IMO, they have one of the best coach-pupil relations in sport. He may not have done everything in the most proper manner but his intention is good.

So every parent have rights to do whatever they want to their kids? Obviously without them there will be no kids at all. To me, he has no rights to represent Justine, even if he suppose to be her "father figure". What Carlos would be without Justine? Did he feel what Ju felt? How did he know how bad Justine felt physically or mentally? Told press openly and assume the reason for her lose is no heart, etc, is not right IMHO. Ju is one of the great and she's 28 yo, she doesn't need someone to tell the whole world, even that someone IS her father or mother. It's Carlos' behaviour for years that has made Ju so depending on him, yet he lays all blame on Ju for looking up her box too much? Why can't he just stop making all those gestures? He've make Ju a bad tactician, because she's too busy following what he means, don't bother to observe her opponent and find their weakness and adjust her play accordingly!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Mmm I think Carlos is too open to press. Though he said what he thinks and most comments are right. We hate it becos it looks bad and we feel bad for Ju.

Ju is going through some frustrating times here. She couldn't get to her level, hampered by injury. Knows what she should do, quick to analyzer het faults but could execute well. I Dont think that had ever happened in her first career. In her first career, she is always improving from time to time. Here she made some strides and then also a lot setbacks. IMO that's becos she is making changes to an unstable form coming out of retirement. You can only seek improvement on a basis of good form. Now that's hitting both ways. She needs to practice her basis to perfect. She is often out rallied by players today, and when that happens she is forced to go defensive or try making wonders when it is not time

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The only positive thread I saw on this board in the last few days. It seems many here have forgotten that whatever we've got, is bonus already. We lost her more than two years ago. So, be thankful that you still have chance to catch her brilliance, even if you may only get to see only once for a while, only a short period, or only a few points. If this is not enough, you have all other players to support and they have their own forum you may want to go.

When one is down, what need the most is support and encourage, nothing else.
WELL PUT! Justine had a great career before the retirement. Whatever good happes now is icing on the cake. Would love for her to win another Slam and more, but if not, so be it. As long as she is happy playing and produces those amazing shots, every now and then, that will be fine with me.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts

GREAT POST!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
WELL PUT! Justine had a great career before the retirement. Whatever good happes now is icing on the cake. Would love for her to win another Slam and more, but if not, so be it. As long as she is happy playing and produces those amazing shots, every now and then, that will be fine with me.
Hi thrust, Justine is super competitive, she won't be enjoying if she
Is not winning. As long as she is motivated to get there again, we should stand by her.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
So every parent have rights to do whatever they want to their kids? Obviously without them there will be no kids at all. To me, he has no rights to represent Justine, even if he suppose to be her "father figure". What Carlos would be without Justine? Did he feel what Ju felt? How did he know how bad Justine felt physically or mentally? Told press openly and assume the reason for her lose is no heart, etc, is not right IMHO. Ju is one of the great and she's 28 yo, she doesn't need someone to tell the whole world, even that someone IS her father or mother. It's Carlos' behaviour for years that has made Ju so depending on him, yet he lays all blame on Ju for looking up her box too much? Why can't he just stop making all those gestures? He've make Ju a bad tactician, because she's too busy following what he means, don't bother to observe her opponent and find their weakness and adjust her play accordingly!

No, I didn't say Carlos can do anything to Justine nor should any parents. However, he must be recognized for providing her with the most complete set of technical tools in the woman's game and acted as her emotional anchor during all her times of trouble. By any measure, Justine has been one of the best of her generation. Could she have been more successful without Carlos? We'll never know but I doubt it. Regardless, Justine-Carlos partnership is one of the most successful in tennis.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am not saying Carlos should be axed. The partnership is really great and has provided her with stability throughout her career. However, his media comments put me off greatly. There is no point in compounding Justine's game/injury-related woes on court with criticisms that paint her in an unflattering light.

How about something like 'she still has a lot to work on, but we are optimistic about the future'.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I am not saying Carlos should be axed. The partnership is really great and has provided her with stability throughout her career. However, his media comments put me off greatly. There is no point in compounding Justine's game/injury-related woes on court with criticisms that paint her in an unflattering light.

How about something like 'she still has a lot to work on, but we are optimistic about the future'.

Agree with you completely. Both of them are too open sometimes. This may be partly because Justine is a celebrity so Carlos got quoted a lot. Other coaches may be doing the same but nobody reported on them.

We may also be too sensitive and protective of Justine. But I believe our tough little warrior will bounce back in no time elbow permitting. I think he did say he has more confidence in Justine than she has in herself. So I am sure he is giving her lots of comfort and encouragement in private.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
compared to last year, where carlos kept saying justine wasn't ready. this year he started saying he has much confidence in her in the future. there is a big contrast. sometimes i wonder if this is a tactic or they are just so open about it?!

was he like that in her first career? sharing so much??

·
Registered
192 Posts
i think justine should retire... i wanted her to be remembered as justine who dominated womens tennis... this is getting low every year.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
:sad:

"Success is a state of mind"

You should retire as a Justine fan, I think :(
This is definitely funny comment. ;)

It's ok, what Ju is doing is admirable. Coming back is never easy esp from such a decorative past. She knew it and still went with it. That's why I really admire for her courage and determination. The journey so far has been difficult but she is still sticking with it. I love her for that unwavering focus.

How it is going to end no one will know and we can surely hope for the best.

What she has done in the past is with her and as she said no one can take it away. She is already a legend and will be a hall of famer for sure.

·
x
34,463 Posts

Justine Henin stopt opnieuw met tennissen
Belga

wo 26/01/2011 - 15:39 Justine Henin (28) heeft een punt achter haar carrière gezet. Ze doet dit door de aanslepende problemen met haar elleboog. Vorige week werd ze op de Australian Open uitgeschakeld in de derde ronde. Henin was vorig jaar aan haar tweede carrière begonnen.

21 - 40 of 407 Posts