Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am pained to see so many of you commenting that she should retire because of her recent loss, overall poor form and unspectacular record last year. It is a sign of weak character to believe in something only if all is sunshine and roses, and immediately disassociate oneself from it upon hitting a rough spot.

Someone said some admirable things about 'watching Justine even before she was famous and not caring whether she won or not' etc. In a matter of a few hours, all that's gone out of the window. She's done. Finished. Cannot hit a forehand. Struggles physically. Is mentally weak.

I can understand that it is frustrating to not have things the way they were at their best, but there are just so many things to put in perspective: advancing age, physical issues, stronger opponents, lack of match-rhythm. She wants to play despite everything, wants to improve and get healthy again. Maybe her cautious assessment that she needed months to return to form was a statement of fact, not a pressure-relieving tactic.

I am as disappointed as anyone else that she is unrecognizable from the Justine Henin of old, that she doesn't win everything and thrash opponents with dazzling displays of aggressive all-court tennis. But I feel I would be a terrible fan if I gave up on her at this time, when things seem so uncertain. Her greatest seasons came on the heels of long and consistent runs of matches against the best players in the world, when her health was not as huge a concern. She is fully aware that things will not come easy, and does not set expectations for herself. We should do the same, and just take things as they come.

I will continue to analyse and criticize her game, but am I thrilled she's still around? Absolutely! And when she knows it is the right time to hang up her racket, she will be ready. Hopefully, I am too :sad:.

In the meantime, I feel bad seeing fellow-Justine fans insult other players and show a lack of faith in her. All her glory came when she was a part of this world and these self-same players were her peers, surely they deserve our respect (they have hers)...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
You know, I was actually dreading coming into her forum because of all the extreme talk which made me feel so sad quite honestly. Thanks for this thread. Hopefully there will be no whining in here.

·
x
34,444 Posts
I don't think people really mean what they say, especially after a match. I have been guilty of saying it but I never mean it. For me I'm just terribly upset at the way she loses. Had she played better but still lost, I would have been encouraged. But yesterday's performance leaves much to be desired. We all know she was much better than that, injury or no injury.

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure no one is more disappointed in her than herself.
We'll see how she comes out of this: beaten quite handily compared to past year, might be a good thing for her as she and the team see what might be glaringly and obviously lacking in her current game.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good post and completely agree with you n1_and_uh_noone. All this talk of she's done, retire immediately, she shouldn't have come back etc is getting annoying from all her haters. Therefore, I for one don't want to hear it from people who are supposed to be supporting her. You expect that kind of talk from the other players' fans but not her own. So if you are tempted to say such negative things on her forum please refrain, but if you feel so strongly post it on GM instead and join in with all the others.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
As I said I am as much a fan today as I was yesterday and I will continue to be tomorrow.

I am sure some comments are just an expression of empathy for Justine's feelings. It hurts to see her beaten or suffer physical and psychological pain.

However, Justine is a strong and mature woman and a professional. She has suffered worst defeats and adversities. So I am sure she'll bounce back and compete in GSs again her health permitting.

I can't wait to see her matching to RG and Wm.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I dont ever think anyone wants her to retire. We are probably just afraid that she might consider becos of injury and lack of success. But yeah enjoy her game. We want her to win so much becos she wants to win. And feel sad becos she feels sad.

·
Banned
1,080 Posts
Carlos talked to Sporza and mentioned a lack of fire, of enthusiasm, that her heart wasn't in it. So it's not her fans that are talking about it, but the fact that she has already done it once and it has been looming over her ever since.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think we all love Justine very much and don't want her to retire again. We've lost her once and we don't don't want to experience it once more. Her comeback is a giving. We should cherish and support her no matter what. She's not young anymore, tiny, lack of natural power, so we should lower our expectations and just support her. Plus she has a serious elbow injury, so her up and down is kind of acceptable. When she's healthy but still can't pass R1 or R2 of GS, then we can talk about her retirement. Right now ,no. We fans should be patient.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Carlos talked to Sporza and mentioned a lack of fire, of enthusiasm, that her heart wasn't in it. So it's not her fans that are talking about it, but the fact that she has already done it once and it has been looming over her ever since.
i think he meant that match. there was lack of fire in that match. oh well, actually in last few games of 2nd set, i saw the fire back. but it was too late in the match. the opposite of kuzzy really, she was focused from first point.

justine is strange in matches now. i always see her match focus later in the match, she gets fired up when she is behind and pushed against her back. her intensity has vastly improved from last year. but she doesn't show the strong will to win from the first point, it's kind of like building up during the match. in last few matches in AO she didn't seem ready to start the match, also as in HC. she did play herself into the match. but she can't do that against top quality player, she will always find herself behind when not ready and focused.:(

it's true. she is not convicted. i wonder, if she will only have that fire in RG (her love) or Wimby (her dream). it may not be coincidental, her only 2 titles last year, 1 clay and 1 grass. her game brilliance has always come off from motivation. i don't see how she gets more motivation from hard courts. though she should know better, the better she plays, the better chances for clay and grass.:tape:

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
This is explainable, somewhat, by her injured elbow so I don't have to think of May 2008.lol. When Ju carries a serious injury, nothing else matters to her in the moment. She wasn't really upset when she lost her games, she was rushing, she barely 'allezed', and she played some bird brain points. But since she is a natural fighter, she couldn't help but torture Sveta in the 2nd set.

But no need to get panicky and talk about how old she is etc. it really isn't that dramatic.

·
Banned
2,170 Posts
I think we all love Justine very much and don't want her to retire again. We've lost her once and we don't don't want to experience it once more. Her comeback is a giving. We should cherish and support her no matter what. She's not young anymore, tiny, lack of natural power, so we should lower our expectations and just support her. Plus she has a serious elbow injury, so her up and down is kind of acceptable. When she's healthy but still can't pass R1 or R2 of GS, then we can talk about her retirement. Right now ,no. We fans should be patient.
Great post. I have a feeling there are so many people on this board that are simply fake fans who supported her when she was winning, but now she's apparently "pathetic", "joke", "should retire" after having a few bad losses. It's really sad to see this kind of attitude on the board. With all these "fans", who needs haters? Unbelievable. She came back to play once more and instead of support all she gets is abuse. I wish these people would find someone else to support and leave the few true fans to support Justine in her next tournament.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
GOOD POST! Don't believe much of what Carlos says-lol! She probably should not play till Indian Wells. She should definitely forget Paris and Fed Cup. Let Kim and Yanina play singles. Perhaps Justine could play the doubles. I doubt the Williams will be playing Fed Cup against Belgium.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting really annoyed with Carlos. I mostly chose to ignore the things he said to the press because Justine evidently respects him so immensely. Does she know of what he says to the press? Surely she read the stuff printed in them. It is always 'she lacks courage', 'no self-belief', 'scared', 'needs positive reinforcement from her box' etc., as though she were some lab experiment he was discussing the results of. Let him concentrate on the technical aspects of the game, and her mentality will shine through. It is her game letting her down now, not her will.

I am encouraged by the things Justine said in a couple of pressers about wanting to build slowly for the next few seasons, so she is aware that she needs to take a long-term view of her career, rather than expect quick solutions and easy victories. This is what got her to the top, where she stayed for a long time. Hopefully, she can manage to put it together again, stay healthy and get back to her best level in her favorite events.

·
Registered
464 Posts
She probably should not play till Indian Wells. She should definitely forget Paris and Fed Cup. Let Kim and Yanina play singles. Perhaps Justine could play the doubles. I doubt the Williams will be playing Fed Cup against Belgium.

Venus and Serena are all injured, so they won't be playing Fed Cup against Belgium I guess. Let Kim and Yanina play for Belgium is quite enough.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The only positive thread I saw on this board in the last few days. It seems many here have forgotten that whatever we've got, is bonus already. We lost her more than two years ago. So, be thankful that you still have chance to catch her brilliance, even if you may only get to see only once for a while, only a short period, or only a few points. If this is not enough, you have all other players to support and they have their own forum you may want to go.

When one is down, what need the most is support and encourage, nothing else.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I am getting really annoyed with Carlos. I mostly chose to ignore the things he said to the press because Justine evidently respects him so immensely. Does she know of what he says to the press? Surely she read the stuff printed in them. It is always 'she lacks courage', 'no self-belief', 'scared', 'needs positive reinforcement from her box' etc., as though she were some lab experiment he was discussing the results of. Let him concentrate on the technical aspects of the game, and her mentality will shine through. It is her game letting her down now, not her will.
I'm annoyed with him too. what has been killing her game, are her serve and forehand, especially her forehand. Carlos is the one responsible for those changes. A bad elbow with an erratic FH, what kind of self-believe he expects from Ju? Ju remains competitive, that not easy already. I dislike the fact that every time Ju lost, he blamed Ju, as if he had nothing to do with the lose. If Ju can't master the "new" forehand that he changes in the very late stage of her career, Ju is the one to blame, not him.

1 - 20 of 407 Posts