Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I must say I'm not a Kim fan, but I do not deslike her. But most of you (except Kim fans) cannot stop bashing her for becoming #1.
I mean, you compare old number ones to her showing how much worse she is. Keep calling her a choker. Expeculate what will happen to her when she gets to #1 and say she won't be able to cope with it. Say she's not a true Nº1 cause she has yet to win a Slam.
GIVE IT A REST!!!

Kim will always be different than the other #1 players. You know why? Because she IS different. Everyone got to the Nº1 position in different ways. Kim's case shows consistency, reaching at least SF in ALL tournaments played this year and winning 5 of them, reaching 5 finals. I believe that's a bit good right?

NO because she's a choker. I have noticed that most of you people are not aware of the level of competition out there. How hard it is to get there, and keep up the consistency. She's won 5 tournaments, two Tier I. "Forget about that! She hasnt even won a GS". That could be critiziced about her, but not winning big matches doesn't mean always choking. IMO it means she is not mature enough to win them. I'm quite sure she will very soon. But please people, leading by a set-to-love and then losing the match does not mean choking.

We will see what happens to Kim when she gets to the Nº1, but do not make only NEGATIVE comments about that. You never know what can happen. Capriati took it bad, Serena took it well.... who knows? Instead of only seeing the negative side of things try to look a little bit the good things. If she's not your fave that OK. but do not bash her nonsensely. It's quite a merit to get to the Nº1 position, only few women have done it. Accept her accomplishment and try to live with it. Just try to look at the bright side of things...

Joaco

·
Banned
908 Posts
Kim is the sweetest soon-to-be no1 in ages, so they can't reeally knock her for being arrogant

Kim Has had great results all year so they can't complain about the computer ranking numbers

Kim manages to play lots of tournaments and keep her level of play pretty high, while playing lots of doubles too, so they have to charge with the "she plays too much, that's why she is the new no..."

Kim has been to all 3 semis in the slams this year, making the finals of the second, so she could only be ranked as low as 2-3.

Kim however didn't win one stupid match sometime in may/june, and that's why she "cannot become no1", according to quite a few people. Had she won that match against the player she's beaten 8 times, it would all be alright(they'd have to find a different excuse), but since she didn't, she's "not worthy the no1 spot, 'cause she's slamless"

END

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
I think the bottomline here is. Tennis is a sport. There are rules to play the game, and rules to how to rank players. They're written down for people to see. You can't say she didn't deserve to win or that she didn't deserve to ranked #1. She is and she is.

It's in history (or will be) and nothing will change that. That's the beauty of sport.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I don't think anyone is bashing Kim, they are bashing the computer more than her. Normally you don't equate a #1 player with not being able to win a big match or not having won a Grand Slam, or not even defeating top 4 players at present time of being #1. That's all it is.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Knizzle said:
I don't think anyone is bashing Kim, they are bashing the computer more than her. Normally you don't equate a #1 player with not being able to win a big match or not having won a Grand Slam, or not even defeating top 4 players at present time of being #1. That's all it is.
Jesus, I don't even know where to begin. If you criticise a computer than you, as person, are dumber than that computer will ever be. I'm sorry but that's just the way I see it. Computers are programmed by people, you can't blame it for any imperfections it has. :eek:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Sam L said:
Jesus, I don't even know where to begin. If you criticise a computer than you, as person, are dumber than that computer will ever be. I'm sorry but that's just the way I see it. Computers are programmed by people, you can't blame it for any imperfections it has. :eek:

Don't use the Lord's name in vain.

I don't know where to begin either, anyone who knows anything about the WTA knows that the ranking system is affectionately called "the computer" And anyway what does that have to do with the theme of my original post which was that people are complaining about the rankings system, and that normally being #1 means more than just haviing the number 1 next to your name.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I also dont think most people are bashing kim.

she is a great player, has had great results this year and is a really nice person, which is great for the sport.

BUT....

She seems to struggle greatly against the other top4 players, which is unusual for a world number 1. Even when Hingis was criticized for being number1, she still did ok against the other top players, venus and lindsay.

Kim deserves credit for all the titles she has won in the past 12 months, but really needs to beat the other top players on a more regular basis. How strange will it be when kim becomes number 1 in the world, but is not considered the favourite in matches against the number 2, 3 and 4 players?

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
actually I am SICK of Kim being discredited and called a choker. It's a non-issue given her record in the last 12 months.

Also sick of people bitching about everything Justine does. damn, they bitched because she had blisters and took a time out BETWEEN sets!!!!!! Grow up. Justine wins and she is still not considered a good hardcourt player by some. Kim has awesome year and has EARNED her ranking and still she is discredited. I notice a trend from where the comments are coming from and the bitterness they reflect at Americans being displaced by "no talent" players. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Truthfully, It's not Kim's fault that she's Number 1. She played the most matches and gathered the most points. That's what the Tour is ALL about.

However, I believe she feels/knows shes a hallow No. 1, especially now since she is getting beaten by Justine. Kim cannot feel too comfortable being No. 1

Yet. She earned it.

·
Chionophile
40,070 Posts
Knizzle said:
I don't know where to begin either, anyone who knows anything about the WTA knows that the ranking system is affectionately called "the computer" And anyway what does that have to do with the theme of my original post which was that people are complaining about the rankings system, and that normally being #1 means more than just haviing the number 1 next to your name.
Yes and I was talking about the ranking system. It's also programmed by people, is it not? :eek: LOL! As I've said before, it's a part of rules, for everyone to see. Everyone knows what they need to do to be #1.

"...normally being #1 means more than just haviing the number 1 next to your name."

Nope that's just in your head honey. #1 means #1. It doesn't mean you need to have slams, it doesn't mean you need to be the best player in the world right now.

Knizzle said:
Don't use the Lord's name in vain.
I'll use it whenever, and wherever the hell I want to use it.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If you do not perform on the big stages being ranked Number 1 will be your down fall. Watch Kimmy the rest of the year.

I believe she is going to self-destruct.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
kim is not STRUGGLING at all. She just beat an injured Jennifer, Justine in Rosmalen (albeit Justine had to withdraw) and an injured Amelie in Rome. she also beat Davenport tons and took out an injured Venus in Los Angeles last year and beat a tired Serena. LOL. KIMMIE INJURES PEOPLE!!!!

She is the one that hit the drop shot that put Davenport out of the game for months and months. She is a witch. LOL

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
great post, Sam L

all of those "gloom and doom" posts about Kim and Justine are nothing but wishful thinking. of course at some point one of them will lose or get injured or whatever and then they claim to have "known" it all along. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Kim is so consistent and I guess won't be "slamless" for a long time...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm a Williams fan who happens to like Kim. She's one of my favs. I happen to think it's ok for her to lose to Justine and she's not a choker in my book. She'll get it together and hopefully start winning against Juju.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, the ranking works in a year system, so that means the wins over venus and serena still count, plus the numerous wins over Justine at the end of last year and the beginning of this one. Why do people forget it's a YEAR system, not just the last months that count. The fact that she only has a chance now is because of her consistant play this year, and I admit, the absence of Serena

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
The WTA is an organization that was created because the ITF treated the women very poorly. That is, they are RIVAL organizations more than they are partners. Consequently, the WTA ranking system works at cross purposes to itself. It rewards you for playing the slams, which are ITF, and it rewards you for playing a lot of WTA events. Giving more points to the Slams effectively makes the entire WTA schedule less important.

The WTA may be poory managed, but suicidal is another story. They HAVE to give weight to their OWN top tournaments, the Tier I's. Kim has done very well in those the past 12 months.

Also, they have to create an incentive for top players to play a lot of tournaments. Hence best 17. The players can play more without risking their rankings, but they HAVE to play a certain amount to get a good one. This benefits the tournaments.

The primary goal of the ranking system is to determine a fair way of seeding tournaments. Not the most ACCURATE way. Just one fair way out of many.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
yes kim deserves number one and serena doesn't because kim shows more dedication.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts