Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
7,262 Posts
What, they don´t ? Didn´t notice that. So it is Finland that has best Nordic player ;) :bounce:

Söderling was supposed to be "next one" lost in 1st round of Q something like 1 & 1 ...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I guess all the top players of the past have grown older and contracted injuries and no younger players have come up to replace them. A couple of years ago, Enqvist was dominant on hard and indoor courts while Norman was a powerful force on clay; now injuries have wrecked both their careers and look like doing the same to Johansson, while Bjorkman's style of game has arguably become outdated in the modern era. Even Vinciguerra, the only young Swede at the top of the game, is suffering with repeated injuries.

Mind you, Joachim Johansson pushed Arthurs close during their dead rubber in Davis Cup in April. As a 6'5" big server, he's arguably rather atypical when you consider the players that Sweden have produced in the past.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Everyone is injured, as Sjengster noted, and the forces on the horizon -- Robin Soderling and Joachim Johansson, most notably -- are still on the horizon for the moment. If Thomas Johansson can ever come back from his knee problems, I think he could return to the Top 50.

Korben -- about time Finland was recognized for a great player :D

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
i didnt think the Fins were Nordics ;)

Enqvist at his best was pretty much the best of the bunch.
he won't get all the way back again, maybe top 20.
Indoor season is his time.
he missed all last yrs indoor season apart from stockholm.

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Nordics are Danes/Swedes and Norweigans
as their language is more or less pretty similar
Icelandics are also part of these 3 but they are also not Nordics. There was a thread about this in Non-Tennis sometime ago.

Fins are in a world of their own. its not their fault they are stuck where they are.

·
Banned
7,262 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Fins are in a world of their own. its not their fault they are stuck where they are.
Could we be scandinavians then ;)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's just too bad, a country who always has a good tennis players, at least 1 in the top 10. now none in the top 50 ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts