Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is not on the entry list for Cincinnati (New York).

Is she going to play, or is she in shape to play the US Open?

Since making her main draw debut at Washington in July 2017, Andreescu has only managed to compete in a total of 10 WTA tour events without retiring or withdrawing.

She played no main tour events in 2018 and 2020 (thus far), either due to injuries, failing to qualify for the main draw, or the current pandemic tour suspension.

Yet, Andreescu has managed to win a grand slam (in only one of three successfully completed main draw appearances), two Premier events, and has achieved a top four ranking.

Has there been any other female player in history with such a bizarre career?

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
She's had her fair share of injuries to be fair, this year wasn't looking good either.

The extended break has probably done her some good in terms of recuperation.

One thing we have learned though, she will only come back if she's 100% ready. She's turned into the type that doesn't take risks in terms of physical state. I don't think she appreciated all the flack she got (Deserved IMO) for that period where she was having an MTO every other match, I think she's matured and won't risk it anymore.

·
Premium Member
39,370 Posts
Yeah, I think Bianca is injury prone for giving a lot on the court physically - not only to run obviously, but also hitting many strokes with power and variety, which demand a lot to her body. So I can totally understand that she wants to focus on a slam only, in hope she can give her best over two weeks. Especially if she cares about keeping her trophy.

Reactions: Oladesuo

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I think she wants to focus on the US Open, and not pick up an injury the week before. As she's already proven, she doesn't really need a lot of matches to work her way back into form - she just gets right back into it. Her only issue is staying healthy.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I wonder if she'll have a del Potro like career

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
One thing we have learned though, she will only come back if she's 100% ready. She's turned into the type that doesn't take risks in terms of physical state. I don't think she appreciated all the flack she got (Deserved IMO) for that period where she was having an MTO every other match, I think she's matured and won't risk it anymore.
What we haven't yet learned is if she'll continue mid-match with an injury, the way she did against Pliskova at the YEC.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
She should skip NY. Nothing to gain in terms of ranking points and highly unlikely to defend the title after nearly a year since her last official match.
Just play Madrid-Rome-Paris.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
She still keeps her points, why bother? Might are well rehabilitate like Federer, and come back next year. Or like MBP said, like last year she is skipping Cincy to rest for the USO.

·
Registered
498 Posts
She doesn't need match practice to destroy the rest of the field lol, we've seen that in Toronto and US Open

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
She's probably going to be like Maria. Constantly injured, last minute withdrawals but a real fighter and three-set mental grinder with a slam here and there when she finds moments of soundness...always a favorite.

Like Maria, she'll battle through the pain based on sheer will. Some people are just more physically fragile.

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
She's probably going to be like Maria. Constantly injured, last minute withdrawals but a real fighter and three-set mental grinder with a slam here and there when she finds moments of soundness...always a favorite.

Like Maria, she'll battle through the pain based on sheer will. Some people are just more physically fragile.
Sheer will and chemical assistance.

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
She's a bit of an enigma, can't think of many that could go from not being match tight to big tournament titles. Hopefully she's healthy, the blight of injuries are a major concern though for her future in the game.

Reactions: Wiggly

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Sheer will and chemical assistance.
yawn don't you lame ass haters ever get tired? 😉

Anyway, yeah. Still doesn't explain why she was a fighter from 2001-2006. Keep trying tho.

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
WC's for Cincy have been announced and Bianca isn't among them! That doesn't body very well for the US Open!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Andreescu suffered her knee injury on Oct. 30 in the first set against Karolina Pliskova at the WTA Finals in Shenzhen, China. She retired after the first set and has not played since. She officially withdrew from the Australian Open because of her knee injury by announcing her decision on Twitter on Jan.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've always been confused by people just assuming she's going to dominate the tour for the next decade. yes she has an incredible game but she's riddled with serious injuries at such a young age. her style of play is only going to make it worse as she gets older in all likelihood. i can't see her ever being able to play a full schedule year-to-year. she'll still win a bunch of slams given the weak era though.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts