Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,948 Posts
2004 Wimbledon Final

I was 5 at the time, barely remember it, just my family was really happy Masha won.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
1997 Venus Williams vs. Irina Spirlea.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Jankovic - Cirstea at RG 2009. That's when I started to love tennis.

I wonder if any of you remember that match and could tell me if that was a good one :lol: Because that day I was amazed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was around 7 and it was a Seles match. And probably an important one since was live on romanian tv. I was amazed to see her being alowed to scream like that. I tought it was not permited. But I remember my mother cheered for her.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Jankovic - Cirstea at RG 2009. That's when I started to love tennis.

I wonder if any of you remember that match and could tell me if that was a good one :lol: Because that day I was amazed.
Yes, that 3rd set was peak WTA, drama, a lots of twists and the youngster finally having her breakthrough with a big result as many expected.

Unfortunally, she didn't follow it up after, except for a brief resurgence in 2013.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Mauresmo vs someone in Wimby final. I forgot who.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Such a random one from me, the match that really got me interested in tennis was Wimbledon 2006 when WC Melanie South beat Francesca Schiavone in 1R. She was a top 20 seed and I remember just being so wowed. Then she flopped to Shenay Perry in 2R.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
S. Williams/Capriati, 2001 Wimbledon QF :love:

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The L’Eggs World Series in early January 1976. It was a 4 woman ABC televised big money exhibition. I saw the final where Chris Evert beat FABULOUS Evonne Goolagong in a second set tie breaker. I instantly fell in love with Evonne and tennis and hated ChrisAmerica. It was a glorious winter season from there on...the Virginia Slims tour was huge and each final was televised on CBS (can you imagine that now). Evonne caught fire and and won the championship over Chris and (GASP!) made the COVER OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED! That will never happen again. She also made the number one ranking but the bozos at the WTA failed to realize this until 2007. Good times!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I must be a lot older than most people here because mine is a long time ago, Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon in 1977. It was a huge deal here in the U.K. as it was also the Queen’s silver jubilee year so a massive event.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'm older than the hills. So far as I recall, for me it started with ABC's Wide World of Sports showing taped coverage of Wimbledon in 1963 or 1964.
Yeah - all of these youngies talking about the 70s! :ROFLMAO:

I'm honestly not sure, because nothing got televised here (from memory) apart from the Wimbledon finals, and even that didn't happen until maybe the 1970s (and I certainly wouldn't have been staying up all night for it at that stage). It would have just been the odd sports news clip plus coverage in the newspapers. The most likely one for me was when Chris Lewis made the Wimbledon final against John McEnroe in 1983, which I can definitely remember watching.

Being in the time zone that we are, the only major that runs at a decent hour is the Australian Open, but even that wasn't televised until we started Sky TV (our first pay channel) in the 1990s. Even our own event (what is now the ASB Classic) didn't get proper coverage until this century. Because of the times, I watched very little until Marina Erakovic started to play events that were broadcast or streamed live. Since then, especially as I now have more free time, I've watched just about every match that's been broadcast which features a New Zealand player, and I've picked up more and more players from overseas to add to my list of favourites.

I know many of the New Zealand players, but I've also been lucky enough to meet several from overseas when they've played in Auckland. Long may that continue!

41 - 60 of 83 Posts